Sign in to follow this  
cuznjoe23

Looking to build an AR-15 .223

Hello everyone, my question is,

I'm looking to build my first AR-15 .223 but I'm working on a budget. The way I'm thinking is certain parts I can purchase on the cheaper side, while others I should not cheap out on. What is your opinions on where I should spend the $$. What parts should I not cheap out on. If you recommend any specific brands that will help with my build, the info would be greatly appreciated.

Ty for the help in advance

Cuznjoe

What is your total budget for the build? What will be the function of the weapon...range toy, HD, long range rifle?

I think most would agree there are many things to consider but a good barrel is certainly important. I went with daniel defense and havent looked back.

There are a few members on here like Vlad,Ty,High exposure, and many more gents well versed in AR's that i'm sure can make some solid parts recommendations for you. 

Total budget for build, if I can keep it around $5-$600 that would be good, if I can spend Jess even better. (Lol) but if I need to spend alittle more to have s gun that's quality and I won't have any issues then I'll spend. I'm looking to use the gun for long range target/hunting here and there.

Ty for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will struggle to stay in that price range for something good....

I am happy with anything I got from spikes...

Geissele triggers are amazing...

I think that if you are looking at shooting at some distance accurately... Many if the working parts will come into play...

Trigger for sure... Having the right barrel.... A decent scope...

Possibly a free float handguard/rail

I did not have the cash to buy or build a $2,000 gun all at once.. So I built the gun over time...mi think that is your best option...

Ditto on the lower. Find a lower you like.  To me, all metal lowers are beginning to look the same (PSA, Spikes, Aero, etc).  PSA has some find deals on Blem Lowers.  Not one have I heard, could you find the blem. The blem is cosmetic only.  Building this up, I would use a LPK that either has no Fire Control Group or a two stage Fire Control Group (ala RRA, or someone else).  If you choose no FCG, then a trigger of your choice is needed here. Something compatable to long range shooting.  To this add your grip of choice and your stock of choice. Remember you said long range shooting, so your stock choice is important here.  An A2 style variant is what I am thinking.

Now you have a lower geared to LR shooting.  Upper can then be configured the way you like.  For LRS, I would consider a Stainless heavy or bull barrel 18" or longer.

This is not a $600 build. The upper alone without a scope could cost that much, even on the decent low price end. And you will have close to $300 or more in the lower already.

Me thinks you need to research just how much each type of shooting you will do and adjust accordingly.

Good Luck.................