Recon Racoon

The Epicenter

So last week or so I placed a fairly sizeable order (at least for me) at the Epicenter. They deal mostly with MRE components, MRE pack trays, some camping gear, and other prepper-esque gear. For the most part, they're fairly priced, good selection, and some reviews on their products. Ended up ordering about 70 dollars worth of MRE pieces. 

Ended up with Beef stew, mac and cheese, chicken fajita, hash browns, pork patty in BBQ sauce, sausage gravy, chili etc etc. I'm weird, because I do like MRE's so this was an obvious choice to add to my preps. And over all I think I got a good deal. I'll probably end up buying one of these boxes once a month or so. 

11176820935_3e589d9f04_c.jpg

Shipping was a little slow, but its coming from the other side of the country, so I can't complain to much. 

http://theepicenter.com

If you're looking into a quick way to obtain assets for prepping, or know a friend that wants to do it, but doesn't know where to start, this wouldn't be a bad place to start IMO.

Nice Website.....thanks for sharing...I have been look at the #10 cans for sometime.just never ordered any.......

This is something I've been looking into for a while as well, just not sure what to think about them. I honestly don't know much about #10 cans other than its a lot of food.

As likely as Elvis walking through my door. Unless there is a chemical, biological, nuclear or fire threat then I'm staying put. Granted there are a couple other instances that would require me to bug out, but I don't see some of them happening quickly or in a way that wouldn't allow me to plan for them in advance.  

I don't believe that leaving my property on foot would have to be done except if all of the roads and trails (I live near open space / nature area / preserved farmland) would be blocked.  We were isolated after Snowmaggedon, Irene and Sandy to some extent, but nothing that would have prevented me from taking the Jeep offroad to get out.  With that in mind, I'd take it as far as I could, but might need to abandone it and hike out with the B.O.B.  In that case, I'm not carrying #10 cans, just dehydrated food or MREs.  That's worst case of course.  Plan A is to shelter in-place.  Plan B is to drive out.  Plan C is to hike out.  My point?  Be prepared!  Be prepared for any scenario and be able to adapt should the circumstances change.

bdgscrl.jpg

Well the interesting thing about #10 cans is that in this application they don't hold stewed tomatoes, they hold dehydrated or freeze dried goods which means they are VERY light. Sure, not convenient to carry, on the other hand nothing says you have to leave  the content in them and while the content is in them it is as safe and comfortable as it can be. For 99.95% of life, when you are not bugging out on foot, they are probably one of the best long term food storage methods.