deerpark

Speeding tickets issued on the highway are stupid.

We use to call that, 'taking our front door'. The first idiot to get ticketed for speeding...the poster child, the decoy, etc...  lol...

Absolutely! And why I always let them pass. :D

Although, sometimes, that's almost like running from a (real) bear in the forest. You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest person on your team... :D

One of the BEST 3-4 lane interstate highway situations to be in is to have someone "take the front door" and "plow the field" by taking "the point".  They do 85 in the fast lane and you do a comfortable 80-82 BEHIND them.  They'll attract all of the attention, and you can just ride "in the rockin' chair".  Nobody cuts in front of you, so you actually CAN USE the cruise control, and you can keep quite a safe following distance of more than a dozen or so car-lengths.  This technique is great for when the road is sparsely populated.  Just watch yer "back door", lol for the Smokeys!

My thoughts:
Right lane:  Dangerous because it has the most change in speed from people entering or preparing to exit the highway.

Middle:  Should be the preferred lane, but is also dangerous due to people trying to escape the right.  Also requires more focus since you can get cut off from both the left and right lane.

Left:  Should be the 'pass' lane but is usually the preferred cruise lane due to the problems with the other two.

I think something mentioned previously is spot on.  Usually the issue isn't speed.. in many cases the difference in speed between the left and middle lane is only a few MPH.  The issue is impedance and having a clear path.    I'd rather drive 5 mph less and have a 3-4 car lengths visibility and not have to jump from brake to gas all the time.   That has to do with volume.  Once you get above 350 or so cars per mile people have problems.

We are the only state in the nation to have a on ramp right before a off ramp causing merging right before an exit.  Thank you army corp of engineers...

Just yet another GREAT reason to stay the hell outta the right lane IMHO!  

Really the ONLY State??  What about cloverleafs?

Sounds like someone got a ticket for speeding.... :rolleyes:

Did the state police who were driving Jon Corzine at 90+ MPH when they caused an accident get a ticket for speeding? No. In fact they looked for the other guy who they hit to charge him for "driving erratically." MAYBE if they were going a little slower they could have avoided the unfortunate crash.

Then again we wouldn't have had that unfortunate accident to make even more fun of dopey Corzine. 

Oh and by the way, speeding tickets for moderate speeding on the highway ARE stupid. I've never gotten one but I wouldn't shed a tear if cops were ordered to stop writing them. 

We are the only state in the nation to have a on ramp right before a off ramp causing merging right before an exit.  Thank you army corp of engineers...

Dunno about this, Long Island has plenty of real hairy on/off ramps on roads such as the Meadowbrook, Southern State, etc. The on ramp for people entering the parkway precedes the exit by a short distances in some cases. It was probably no big deal when the highways were designed [less traffic, slower speeds] but now it can be downright insane. Sometimes the exit lane allows 50 feet or less for slowing down from highway speeds and then negotiating a hairpin ramp at the same time you are crisscrossing traffic trying to merge onto the highway.

What you say about driving in the left lane is so true and seems to be most common in the NY/NJ area. If you're doing 65 and the guy behind you starts closing in at 70, you take it up to 70, he wants to take it to 71, you go 75 and he wants 76. If you wind up going 100 he wants to go 101. You pull over and let him pass and then winds up doing 70 again. He just can't have anyone in front of him.

This is called left lane cowardice.

The jack wagon _WANTS_ to go fast, but they don't want to lead.  Usually if you pull over, they'll get half a car ahead of you and run at the same pace.

This is when I enjoy my high power to weight ratio.   Goose it up and put them a 1/4+ mile behind.  This distance is too far for cowards to catch up because they'd be naked and alone and they can't keep up while I pull away.

The jack wagon _WANTS_ to go fast, but they don't want to lead.  Usually if you pull over, they'll get half a car ahead of you and run at the same pace.

This is when I enjoy my high power to weight ratio.   Goose it up and put them a 1/4+ mile behind.  This distance is too far for cowards to catch up because they'd be naked and alone and they can't keep up while I pull away.

"Naked and Alone"......Luv it, lol!  And it's SO TRUE TOO!  LOL!  See Candy-Ass above (in my post)........

That actually explains a lot of the behavior I see on the roads... lol

If there is someone who wants to go faster than I do, which is admittedly a rare occurrence, they are "insurance."  I get to watch them and see if they suddenly slow down.  Often times, I see a cop a mile up the road they fail to spot until they are 200 feet from him.  If no one passes me, I'll take having no one in front of me. 

I've always paid attention out the car windows, ever since I was a kid.  I'd learned where cops sit on 80 and 287 before I was 10 years old.  Combine that knowledge with a decent enough radar detector and some common sense and situational awareness, and it works out well. 

It seems like most people are oblivious to their surroundings, and even more so when they're talking on their phone about important stuff like who is going to win on American Idol or those cute shoes on sale at Macy's.  Where I now live, I regularly have to drive behind people who are doing 10, 15, even occasionally 20 mph under the limit on straight roads in perfect conditions.  I've learned where some of these people live (because I have to follow them to get home, not in a stalking road rage sense), and it is consistently from a few homes in local neighborhoods.  Some of these drivers make me really want a train horn for my car...maybe they will actually look up from their phone for a second...

I cannot wait for the moment that cell phones cannot work except for 911 while in the driver's seat and the car is moving.  I may speed, but I am still a lot safer driver than some oblivious person talking/texting/facebooking on their phone who is doing the speed limit.

I cannot wait for the moment that cell phones cannot work except for 911 while in the driver's seat and the car is moving. I may speed, but I am still a lot safer driver than some oblivious person talking/texting/facebooking on their phone who is doing the speed limit.

Until those same drivers are holding their phones over on the passenger side of the car and steering with their knees while trying to text.

Until those same drivers are holding their phones over on the passenger side of the car and steering with their knees while trying to text.

I was going to put something in about exactly that, you know...and sadly, some people are so addicted to their phones, they'll do exactly that if such a blocker ever existed.  I love technology and all, but I don't need to be in constant communication.  Some people don't seem to get the concept of "Just because you can, doesn't mean it's a good idea..."

Maybe make it so it won't work at all if there isn't a certain weight in another seat, like the air bag sensor.  Of course, addicts will then HOV it with a couple bags of sand or mannequin or something so they can still use their precious cell phone. 

I've always paid attention out the car windows, ever since I was a kid.  I'd learned where cops sit on 80 and 287 before I was 10 years old.  Combine that knowledge with a decent enough radar detector and some common sense and situational awareness, and it works out well.

Me too. In fact, there's a stretch of I-80 between Exit 25 and just prior to Alamunchy Mountain that I affectionately call, "Trooper Trap Gulch." :D I know them all.

Some of these drivers make me really want a train horn for my car...maybe they will actually look up from their phone for a second...

Funny you mention that... Nathan Air Chime K5LA mounted on a Truck :D :D :D

Oh, I've seriously researched good air horns, but the requirement for an air compressor in the trunk (and the cost for a horn, satisfying as it would be to have) have kept me from getting one.  I run out of trunk space fast enough in my car, without having to have a compressor in there too.  The more compact systems don't let you sound the horn nearly long enough, based on what I've seen.  Some people REALLY deserve a 20 second air blast to get their attention ;)

I always envisioned taking the car to inspection, back when they did safety checks, and watching me and wondering why I put in ear plugs before they perform the horn test.

As a side note, I hope that guy in the video doesn't have neighbors...

I was going to put something in about exactly that, you know...and sadly, some people are so addicted to their phones, they'll do exactly that if such a blocker ever existed. I love technology and all, but I don't need to be in constant communication. Some people don't seem to get the concept of "Just because you can, doesn't mean it's a good idea..."

Maybe make it so it won't work at all if there isn't a certain weight in another seat, like the air bag sensor. Of course, addicts will then HOV it with a couple bags of sand or mannequin or something so they can still use their precious cell phone.

This is where Siri is actually helpful when paired with Bluetooth. Push the button while the phone is in my pocket. "Read that text" and she reads it to me and let's me verbally reply. Not 100% but it works for most of my "where are you?" Or "pick up beer on your way" texts.

Oh, I've seriously researched good air horns, but the requirement for an air compressor in the trunk (and the cost for a horn, satisfying as it would be to have) have kept me from getting one. I run out of trunk space fast enough in my car, without having to have a compressor in there too. The more compact systems don't let you sound the horn nearly long enough, based on what I've seen. Some people REALLY deserve a 20 second air blast to get their attention ;)

I always envisioned taking the car to inspection, back when they did safety checks, and watching me and wondering why I put in ear plugs before they perform the horn test.

As a side note, I hope that guy in the video doesn't have neighbors...

My other vehicle has a Federal Q. Best road clearer ever.

The thing about all drivers is that nobody thinks they're a bad driver. It's always everyone else.

I don't think anybody is a good driver all the time. Good drivers are just drivers who are bad less often than most people.

As for speeding tickets, people will always exceed whatever the posted limit is. If they raised it people would simply go faster. If they lower it people will go slower. If you don't like getting ticketed go the speed limit.

I agree 100%.......these drivers make me CRAZY!!

this is why i stay at about 70 or 71 (in a 65) on cruise control most of the time.  i only go faster to pass someone going slower to me while im in the right lane and then i get back over

one of my biggest peeves is the a$$hole that wants to go 65 and then you pull out to pass him going 70 (on cruise, mind you) and all of a sudden you cant get past him because he's decided to speed up and not let you pass...  and that happens EVERY single day, at least 2-3 times a day on my commute. 

one of my biggest peeves is the a$$hole that wants to go 65 and then you pull out to pass him going 70 (on cruise, mind you) and all of a sudden you cant get past him because he's decided to speed up and not let you pass...  and that happens EVERY single day, at least 2-3 times a day on my commute. 

Confirming that it isn't about "speed..." it's about "path" and "impedance."   He just doesn't want you cluttering his path.  :)

Everything you need to know about the way I drive is this.

Get me the F away from the idiots that want to tailgate me or drive next to me at 75. That's everyone. The further away the better.

The closer I am to you the more likely the stupidity will take us both out.

I have have no problem waiting for that clot of knuckleheads .25 seconds apart from each other to sort it out from a half mile behind. Am I too fast? Too slow? Whatever, just keep the "stupid" at a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the state police who were driving Jon Corzine at 90+ MPH when they caused an accident get a ticket for speeding? No. In fact they looked for the other guy who they hit to charge him for "driving erratically." MAYBE if they were going a little slower they could have avoided the unfortunate crash.

Then again we wouldn't have had that unfortunate accident to make even more fun of dopey Corzine. 

Oh and by the way, speeding tickets for moderate speeding on the highway ARE stupid. I've never gotten one but I wouldn't shed a tear if cops were ordered to stop writing them. 

Dont forget about the servicing dealer finding a gun under the seat!!! And that was OK too..

138/195 westbound, the on off ramp for 34 is only about a bridge width apart. Really surprises me there are not serious accidents there every day.

I commute on the parkway, not everyday, but within a month at least once everyday of the week.

Weekdays - I think NASCAR is the mode, hi speed drafting is in effect.

Try merging in from the Monmouth rest stop and it is not unusual to have to do 80-85 just to make that merge.

For the most part I try and leave early enough so that I can just set my cruise on 55-60 in the slow lane and listen to the RAT. Of course it never fails that there will always be someone going slower who will speed up when I try and pass.

Also love the people who will merge from the on ramps then flip me off because I don't yield to them.

There is very little enforcement on weekdays, as even a car pulled over will generate a backup.

Enforcement is heavy on the weekends. Last Sunday coming home (8-8:30 am), I saw 5 cars pulled over between 131 and the bridge.