deerpark

Speeding tickets issued on the highway are stupid.

One of my favorite road games is to keep pace with the car next to me when there's a douche bag behind me.

How sad it is that, sometimes, that's absolutely "necessary" to prevent someone from making a more stupid/dangerous move to get around another driver.  That, and a bit of judicious "tailgating" to keep another driver from cutting in front of you and then stopping short (especially when the driver in front of them also stops suddenly). :crazy:

I will go 100mph to try to box in someone that wants to pass on the right. I also want to install a James Bond oil-slick device in my trunk.

I guess I'm used to driving a bit in Florida. One of the few  "disadvantages" of CCW... They actually do *carry* down there. You try to avoid confrontations / road rage etc. while driving.

#1 reason that speeding tickets are dumb on the highway is there is a different speed limit depending on who you are.

Regular Joe Citizen probably up to 80 maybe 85 without getting a ticket

Military, EMT's, Fire fighters, PBA cards probably 90-95 maybe more depending on who the cop is.

If your a Cop 100+ before you can even think about a ticket

If your a NJ cop your not getting a ticket

I will go 100mph to try to box in someone that wants to pass on the right. I also want to install a James Bond oil-slick device in my trunk.

But you'll do 65 sitting in the left lane in a 65 zone.

NJ needs to enforce the "keep right except to pass" rule.

#1 reason that speeding tickets are dumb on the highway is there is a different speed limit depending on who you are.

Regular Joe Citizen probably up to 80 maybe 85 without getting a ticket

Military, EMT's, Fire fighters, PBA cards probably 90-95 maybe more depending on who the cop is.

If your a Cop 100+ before you can even think about a ticket

If your a NJ cop your not getting a ticket

I have PBA cards and theirs no way im driving down the parkway over 80 i usually set cruise at 75 but sometimes you have to bump to keep up with traffic.

I know a couple state troopers and they say keep it 75 and you will be fine..

If there was no cash fine for speeding, the # of tickets issued for it would be miniscule.

I would LOVE this situation!  I would write 3x's as many tickets so people could walk along grass shoulder of the road picking up garage for 8 hours!!!  People have to realize there is no connection between cash and the police writing tickets, for the most part.  It is nothing more than a LOT of extra work for Traffic Cops to write tickets, especially speeding tickets!

See, there's psychology involved here.   When I see a lane clogging nitwit that refuses to get out of the way, I don't tailgate, dart right and go around and give you the opportunity to speed up and make my job more difficult.  I signal, drift right casually and slowly creep up in the right lane, not giving you any indication that you're about to be outclassed.  When I'm at the right moment, I down shift, wind up the turbo and stand on it.  When my turbo is spooled up, few cars can match my acceleration, no ordinary cars anyway because they're loping along at sub 2500rpm and need a moment to get into the horsepower bands.   My car does not have a fart box on it, so you're not getting an audio warning either.

Actually, the NJSP do a pretty good job of that when they come along, since they pretty much stick in the left lane when traveling. You just know when you see that crown vic (or now Dodge charger/Durango) grill in your mirror to just pull over and let them pass.

Many, many police cars stay in the left lane because they are running radar at the on coming traffic.  WAY dangerous to stay right and attempt a U turn across the passing lane from the outside lane. 

There is a truth that police car quickly wear out their front right tire from banging u turns all the time......

I would LOVE this situation!  I would write 3x's as many tickets so people could walk along grass shoulder of the road picking up garage for 8 hours!!!  People have to realize there is no connection between cash and the police writing tickets, for the most part.  It is nothing more than a LOT of extra work for Traffic Cops to write tickets, especially speeding tickets!

I would not be too sure on this.

Take a look at the budget for your local municipality, and you will find a line item for revenue from these tickets.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/driving-citation-statistics/

Average annual speeding ticket revenue per U.S. police officer $300,000

Tickets and police work a re a profit center for most towns, to think it is all about safety is understandable, but mistaken.

Nope, I never drive in the left lane on the highway, always the middle. If the left lane is clear for passing and you try to pass me on the right it is game on!.

Take a look at the budget for your local municipality, and you will find a line item for revenue from these tickets.

Tickets and police work a re a profit center for most towns, to think it is all about safety is understandable, but mistaken.

It is frankly a disaster for our country that law enforcement has become a revenue stream. Now that the mission of the police force is transitioning from "protecting and serving" to being the municipal ATM things will go downhill fast. Wait until the speed cameras arrive on our highways like they have around DC.

I don't think revenue was the original intention. Think it just ended up that way. The word, "quotas" have been around forever and while I know some will say there is no such thing, there is. Maybe just not everywhere. IF the department says there is a set amount of tickets that need to be issued per year per officer, (HE, others, help me out here....my old school is kicking in and may be inaccurate), this would be,

a ) a way to make them go out to do it, (as most do not want that job no more than directing traffic, boy I hated that)... Warning motorists long ago unless belligerent imbeciles, was easier and no paperwork.

b ) after awhile, depts realizing this worked, then later, realizing quotas brought income, it became more prevalent. Especially with the local politicians breathing down the brasses necks.

c ) there were fringe benefits.... Not monetarily for an officer necessarily, but staging traps especially locally, helped expose warrants, drugs, booze, etc. as another way to get the bad guys off the streets.

Despite some arguments by surrounding towns and pissed off motorists, it has nothing to do with quotas at that point. For quite some time right here in town, our leo have been blamed for racial targeting, picking on border town citizens, you name it. In reality, it produced more arrest since they've done this than any traditional speed trap/traffic stop. It just so happened, we border one of the biggest cities in NJ and so be it, most area scum reside there. That's not targeting... Just fact.

So you have to ask yourself? Why are you speeding and what do you think the officer is thinking when he sees you? Not just a speeder. :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Maybe you should just move over when someone wants to pass? Seems pretty simple and It's the only reason the autobahn works......they treat passing on the right as a huge violation but they also treat being a Richard Cranium and not moving over as a bigger issue.

It's the only reason the autobahn works......they treat passing on the right as a huge violation but they also treat being a Richard Cranium and not moving over as a bigger issue.

Exactly.  I have driven the autobahn and the respect shown for anyone going faster than them is... impressive.

Another problem is NJ drivers are and are always in a hurry trying to beat out the next guy.... A good example is on when there are lane closures and your fellow NJ drivers will do 85mph right up to where the cones start the lane closure. Now go to upstate NY and you see a sign on I-90 or I-81 for lane closures in two miles ahead the NY (upstate) locals will be move to the appropriate lane in an orderly fashion well in advance of closed lane, it’s textbook. The only folks you will usually driving like A-holes in upstate NY either have tags from PA or NJ.

Where is the connection between the lowly cop writing a ticket and those numbers?  What's the benefit for an Officer to write a summons for speeding vs. a warning or even stopping someone at all?  The same stat's can be generated for red light violators (not talking about cameras), DWI's, careless driving etc...   It looks impressive because we have a LOT of people driving everyday and people receive summons' for violations for various infractions.  

I don't really believe those numbers at all.  I don't know an Officer in my department who generates $300,000 even if you count EVERY ticket they write.  That chart says that is an AVERAGE number for speeding alone.  No way!!  Our highest ticket writer doesn't even reach $90,000 if you count EVERY ticket they write.  That particular Officer has maybe 2 or 3 other guys out of 80 that even come close.  The rest average about 75% less.  

In NJ the town which originates the summons only gets about 1/5 of the monies collected, the great State of New Jersey gets the rest.

Exactly.  I have driven the autobahn and the respect shown for anyone going faster than them is... impressive.

I've been over there 10 times and their respect for eachother is awesome. If you're doing 145 and someone is going faster get your but in the right lane so they can pass! It's really a pretty simple concept! Also impressed with their regard for drinking and driving. No room for mistakes at that speed so they just don't do it (at least the people I've hung out with). Something to be said about being responsible for ones actions and respecting other drivers.

I've been over there 10 times and their respect for eachother is awesome. If you're doing 145 and someone is going faster get your but in the right lane so they can pass! It's really a pretty simple concept! Also impressed with their regard for drinking and driving. No room for mistakes at that speed so they just don't do it (at least the people I've hung out with). Something to be said about being responsible for ones actions and respecting other drivers.

Tell me about it.  I didn't move over in my rental car (#40) and found out the hard way.  I am still paying for this mess! 

auto-accident-2.jpg

Last I knew things like failing to yield, illegal uturn, and passing on the right could get you a year in prison in Germany in addition to the fine. That's a way to insure respect. Here all we have is fines and license suspension.

Last I knew things like failing to yield, illegal uturn, and passing on the right could get you a year in prison in Germany in addition to the fine. That's a way to insure respect. Here all we have is fines and license suspension.

It takes more than the a first offense to get jail, but you can have your license suspended on a first offense for a number of things.

Germany also has no right turn on red.   If you ask them about it, they get animated "No, no no, you must never do that" heh.   Probably because they could end up suspending your license.

As a final note...I have a M(motorcycle) endorsement on my license and one rental place refused to allow me to rent a car because in Germany, an endorsement means "limited to" instead of "in addition to".  They claimed they couldn't rent me a car on my moped license. LOL.   This was in town at a place that doesn't normally rent to foreigners...we ended up going to the small regional airport in Saarbrucken and they didn't have any issues with it.   I found it someone comical that they thought I was limited to driving mopeds, not even motorcycles. 

I hear that they are much more strict about actually enforcing traffic laws. No big shiny gold shields in peoples windshields helps prevent selective enforcement.

It takes more than the a first offense to get jail, but you can have your license suspended on a first offense for a number of things.

Germany also has no right turn on red.   If you ask them about it, they get animated "No, no no, you must never do that" heh.   Probably because they could end up suspending your licence.

Jail time for multiple offenses or causing a serious accident as I understand it.

I hear that they are much more strict about actually enforcing traffic laws. No big shiny gold shields in peoples windshields helps prevent selective enforcement.

Cameras can't play any favorites wherever you are.