deerpark

Speeding tickets issued on the highway are stupid.

On a three-laner, either go as fast as the trucks need to go so they don't "blow a shift", or get into the fast (left) lane so as to avoid the constant passing and braking of the vehicles in the other two lanes.  Candy-Asses, Mall Shoppers, Out-of-Staters and the LOST all hang in the right two lanes, and frankly I want NO part of THAT!

Gotta disagree with that statement. New Jersey has got to be one of the worst states where drivers fail to obey the "Keep right unless passing" law. There are often more cars in the left and middle lanes than the right lane. The crappy part is, you have the one or two cars that should be and are in the right lane, so you can't even pass all the left lane hogs on the right, so you're just stuck behind them.

Gotta disagree with that statement. New Jersey has got to be one of the worst states where drivers fail to obey the "Keep right unless passing" law. There are often more cars in the left and middle lanes than the right lane. .

So glad someone else said that. I got into ot with some traffic guy at a NJ newspaper that said all the left lane people are "from NY and PA where they don't have the move right except to pass culture."

Doesn't exist. For all the yahoos that think 20 over is normal there are those doing 5 over and staying there to "teach a lesson."

NY is not perfect but percentage wise NJ has a much lower ratio of slow professors to hot shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight trucks, 18 wheelers, construction vehicles, buses and any vehicle towing any type of trailer should be restricted to the right hand lane. They should only be allowed out of the right lane if the right lane becomes impassable or closed for some reason (weather/collision/construction). Slow or heavy traffic would not be an excuse for deviating from the right lane. IIRC, the Autobahn has a rule similar to this. Having driven there a bit, keeping the big vehicles to the right does wonders for traffic flow.

For what it's worth, one of the primary ideas behind the US interstate system was to assist the US military with troop and supply movements. President Eisenhower saw how effective the Autobahn was during WWII when he was the ETO's Supreme Commander. When he became President, he really got behind the US developing and building a similar system.

Straight trucks, 18 wheelers, construction vehicles, buses and any vehicle towing any type of trailer should be restricted to the right hand lane. They should only be allowed out of the right lane if the right lane becomes impassable or closed for some reason (weather/collision/construction).

Or, if the Entry/Exit Ramps are to the left and not the right... and only for 1/2mile or so before/after the ramps.

When California had HOV lanes (they may still do), I recall them being the "right most" lane. When you entered/exited the highway on the right, you had a margin of maybe 1/2 mile or so to cross over to the middle or left and get out of the HOV lane on the right before the CHP would declare you "in violation" of HOV rules.

Straight trucks, 18 wheelers, construction vehicles, buses and any vehicle towing any type of trailer should be restricted to the right hand lane.

I understand your point.  However, some people know how to merge onto a superhighway and others just don't.  My father taught me to get on the on ramp and get at least 5 mph OVER the speed limit simply because it's much easier to merge into traffic with the brake than with the accelerator.  This was back when people really didn't exceed 65 mph and the vast majority hung around 60 mph on Route 80 as the national speed limit of 55 was still in effect.

Registrations on cop's personal cars have some secret coding? All cops don't have a shield in the window.

absolutely not true.  i've had many conversations about this topic with the Officer responsible to reviewing the violations.  you get what you get.  they couldn't change it if they wanted to.    

Registrations on cop's personal cars have some secret coding? All cops don't have a shield in the window.

In a perfect world everyone would get a ticket who commited a violation on camera. However in reality If you know people, especially in NJ, you can still get away with it. If you are a cop or a lawer or just a good friend of the prosecutor you are likely to have the charges dropped when you go see them on the court date.

Either way there are very few traffic cameras in NJ and my original point was that especially in NJ, who you are and who you know makes a big difference in what you can get away with.

In a perfect world everyone would get a ticket who commited a violation on camera. However in reality If you know people, especially in NJ, you can still get away with it. If you are a cop or a lawer or just a good friend of the prosecutor you are likely to have the charges dropped when you go see them on the court date.

Either way there are very few traffic cameras in NJ and my original point was that especially in NJ, who you are and who you know makes a big difference in what you can get away with.

I cannot argue that.  I only mentioned the camera tickets because it is much, much harder to try and get away with the examples you listed.  It is funny how much people dislike the cameras (I'm not a fan) but they cure one of the biggest issues that heat people.  They remove discretion and everyone gets a ticket regardless of who you know, who you are related to and what job you do.  

More data on the side that traffic tickets are for revenue

HELMETTA – Allegations that a small central New Jersey town illegally enforces its traffic laws haven't stopped, yielded or even slowed down.

Current police director Gregory Bennett is now suing his employer, about a year after his predecessor left the job and filed a lawsuit of his own. Bennett alleges in court papers filed Friday that Mayor Nancy Martin pressured police officers to give out traffic tickets and other fines so the borough could meet its budget, part of a de facto quota system that made cops fear for their jobs.

"This emphasis on issuing summonses has been a familiar and constant refrain from the mayor," Bennett wrote in an Oct. 17 letter to the Middlesex County prosecutor. "In my opinion, this is a back-handed quota system. ... It would seem to require my staff to become ticket-issuing machines."

Bennett's lawyer, Robert Tandy, was more blunt.

"They're threatening officers' jobs with ticket-writing," Tandy told NJ.com on Friday. Borough officials, Tandy said, have sent the message: "If you don't go out and write tickets, you're not going to have a job."

(full story at link)

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2013/12/top_police_official_helmetta_mayor_issued_illegal_traffic-ticket_quota.html#incart_m-rpt-1

This is a perfect example of how "Home Rule" in NJ is costing the tax-payers so much extra money in salaries and pensions!  Helmetta was always known as a "Speed Trap" (I've been driving for 37 years), and that's one of the reasons that NOBODY goes there!  One spot in particular where the posted speed limit drops by 10 or 15 mph is a money-maker.  Locals put up with it, but anybody going through is "fresh meat".  Town doesn't have any ratables, and no one wants to start any light business there since the Speed Traps are set-up almost daily......