Sign in to follow this  
MandM

HK (MR556 specifically) pricing craziness...

So Sgt Toadette started a thread about a silly-vilian HK G36 coming out that's not an SL8. Somewhere in that thread we mentioned the HK MR556 and how there's some not good reviews/experiences with them etc. I didn't want to deviate too far from the G36 clone... so... new thread.

/rant on

Yesterday I got an email from Midway... they're selling a MR556 complete upper (just the upper) for $1,800+!!! (On sale!)

I put my AR together from high quality parts, and don't think I spent that much on the whole dang rifle. (Not including optic.)

Is that crazy... or is it just me? 

From what I've read...  I don't want one anyway... but geez... that price seems outrageous.

/rant off

It's a decent price for that upper and if it's your cup of tea I'd jump on it. I just think it's rediculous that you can buy an entire LWRC rifle for the money.

I'm sure it will work, just not any better than any other quality piston gun. Just be aware of some non standard part issues. I never researched the rifle in much depth, just enough to know that I'd rather have something else. I'm sure you could find some good info on the hkpro forum.

The problem with MP5's is there is simply no parts in country to service them. That's why many are seeing the buzz saw and being replaced by AR's. As far as the HK AR, I simply am not familiar with the civy variant or if all the parts except the happy switch are the same. But in a full mil spec version, I believe their piston system to be superior to most others. BUT as most know, Im not a fan of the retrofit. Id prefer a rifle designed as a piston gun from the getgo.

If I was in the market for a piston AR, I would have a very, very tough time justifying the MR556. That should tell you something.

Got that right. Big fan of the pistols. But I'm in the market for a REPR.... Had 2nd thoughts about the HK variant. MR756? After I saw the price then if I'm not mistaken, requires proprietary mags, I said screw it. So I'll stay focused on the REPR to keep my M6 some company.

I'd love to have an HK in 556 or 762.... But they are off their rockers.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

The REPR doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you are going for a precision semi, many others are more accurate at similar price points for the weight penalty. If your after rugged and reliable something like the SCAR17 is considerably less weight and about as accurate. If you just like it, ignore my input :)

The MR556 doesn't require proprietary mags, it just doesn't work with PMAGs. Any mag that is built to STANAG specs should be fine. I wouldn't blame HK for the fact that Magpul built mags out of spec. There's plenty of other reasons not to buy the MR556, though.

He's referring to the MR762. That rifle will only accept HK's proprietary .308/7.62 mags.

Yes, thanx Jon for the clarification.... :)

Shane, as far as the REPR.... I would venture to say that without being able to toy with others that may be in the same class, I'm stuck on the REPR. This is based on my M6 which blows away the average AR IMHO... I put it up against my BM at the range and the groupings with a red dot where much tighter than the BM with the red dot. Otherwise, I have nothing else to base it on. The SCAR, which I also like got good ratings too, but in the end, the REPR prevailed from what I saw. Besides, I vowed not to buy a SCAR as long as I'm in this CRAP STATE just to have it butchered. What we have to do with ARs is bad enough... but I'd want a SCAR 'AS IS' someday... :)

He's referring to the MR762. That rifle will only accept HK's proprietary .308/7.62 mags.

The REPR doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you are going for a precision semi, many others are more accurate at similar price points for the weight penalty. If your after rugged and reliable something like the SCAR17 is considerably less weight and about as accurate. If you just like it, ignore my input :)

A 17 with a Handl Defense lower is the way to fly, IMO.  I keep meaning to convert one of the ones in inventory to title 2 (really, really simple) but haven't gotten around to it.  Work is keeping me from doing the fun stuff!!!!