Back on target

I have no gunbroker experience and

I just saw one of the pistolsI want to get, as soon as I get my three permits, at almost 30% off on gun broker. My dealer gave me a great price, about 20 % off list price. Gunbroker.com is about 175 lower than my dealer.

My questions,

Is buying on that site safe, great reviews on the dealer.

I need an FFL and I will pay him a fee. Do I pay sales tax on the gun? Or I also save the tax $?

I like to do business with local people, but I'm buying three gun in the next few months. If I save on the first two I might get the third almost free.

What's the smart approach to take. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need an ffl lined up and you need to know what his fees are, for transfer, for NICS, and for storage (if any).

Consider shipping fees as you will likely be on the hook for that.

Gunbroker is fine as long as the seller feedbacks are good.

My last 2 guns LWRC M6A2SPR and Sako Quad I got from GB. Both sellers shiped for free, no sales tax, and actually had what I wanted in stock. Sent to my local FFL in 2 days

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I have bought at least 10 guns, if not more, through Gun Broker and Guns America. Absolutely no problems. I use different FFL's, and they are both great. I send them an email with the information of the person/store I am buying the gun(s) from, they do the rest. I have three handguns at one of my FFL's right now, waiting for permits and SP015/SP016 to be approved.

Contact GB seller directly before making a bid!

I have never actually completed a purchase there and so far all my contacts with sellers resulted in quite unsatisfactory experience.

My latest one was a shotgun combo - listed for $306 - the one that is listed at least for $350+ everywhere else. 

Listing said that certified funds + checks + visa/mc are accepted. 

Listing also had a link to "Shipping cost estimator" that gave me around $25 (from VA)

I (luckily!) wrote the seller directly before placing a bid and got the answer: "We ONLY accept USPS money orders and the shipping will cost you $50". 

If it was ebay (I'm more familiar with it), I would have immediately reported the seller as he is breaking the promise he gave by listing specific conditions. Here I just passed. 

I have recently purchased and sold on gunbroker. No tax if purchasing from outside your home state (though my wife was saying NJ is looking or will be starting to tax internet purchases.....don't know if true or when its suppossed to start). Keep in mind that when you buy from GB you will probably be paying shipping and def be paying a transfer fee at your ffl. That will generally be about $40 or $50 above your purchase price.

When selling you will be paying GB a small fee (you can estimate it on the site) and paying the ffl the transfer fee. If selling make sure to include that buyer pays for shipping or you'll be paying that as well.

I have recently purchased and sold on gunbroker. No tax if purchasing from outside your home state (though my wife was saying NJ is looking or will be starting to tax internet purchases.....don't know if true or when its suppossed to start). Keep in mind that when you buy from GB you will probably be paying shipping and def be paying a transfer fee at your ffl. That will generally be about $40 or $50 above your purchase price.

When selling you will be paying GB a small fee (you can estimate it on the site) and paying the ffl the transfer fee. If selling make sure to include that buyer pays for shipping or you'll be paying that as well.

They already do for Amazon (i.e. anything "Sold and shipped by Amazon.com LLC"), as Amazon now has NJ Tax Nexus, due to the big warehouses they built. If it's one of Amazon's partners (i.e. "Sold by XYZ company and Fulfilled by Amazon") and XYZ has no NJ tax nexus (or if it's a 3rd party vendor), they won't collect it... not yet.

Or is NJ going to go for all Internet Sales? I can't see how they could enforce non-nexus'ed out of state companies to comply.

I have had zero issues on GB.....but I have only bought from folks who are FFL's and high feedback. I scored a SW Shield, brand new for $128 shipped due to a major spelling typo when they entered it. I stumbled upon it by accident, snagged they buy it now price of $100 which was meant to be $400 and they seller could not have been nicer about it...but was pissed his employee screwed up. I paid a 3% credit card fee of $3 and $25 shipping. He honored the deal without any hesitation and it was at my FFL within 48 hours. Guy was aces and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.