NJNeuteredMags

What's your home defense shotgun rig weigh?

Talking to my son a couple of days ago, we got into a discussion about what our rigs weigh... mine is as follows:

• Mossberg 590-A1 SPX
  • 7 Federal 2.75" 00 Buck in the tube, 1 in the chamber (actually it was in my pocket for the weigh-in - safer that way)
  • 3 Federal 2.75" 00 Buck in the sidesaddle
  • 3 Federal 2.75" #4 Buck in the sidesaddle
  • 5 Federal 2.75" Low-Recoil 1-oz Rifled slug on the stock
  • Barska GLX laser sight
  • Fenix TK-15 LED Tactical light
  • Ontario M9 Bayonet
  • Uncle Mike's QD Sling Swivels
  • Custom 42" Gold/OD 550 Paracord sling
  • (Backorered: Mossberg Heat shield to be installed soon)

Total weight: (without the heat shield, or the 50-round bandolier with an assortment of ammo) is 11.75 lbs. - Does that seem "heavy"?

That seems quite heavy.  I believe you can't have the bayo mounted without damaging it if the gun is fired, so how do you have it attached to the shotgun?  

I use a pistol w/ light on it for HD.  Everything else is on the vest next to the pistol.  

Whats wrong with heavy? It's a HD gun you aren't going to be carrying it very far. Sounds like a good setup to me. I'm a big fan of the M9 bayonet. Shooting it wont f up your knife. The blade sits too low to get hit, the top of the knife should sit level with the bottom of the tube. I would worry about the total length indoors though. Have you practiced moving through the house with it? Do you have a lot of open space?

Sweet baby Jebus...almost 12lbs?! That's a large loadout for a home defense gun. I live in a smaller home with firearms staged. I keep my 870 loaded with frangible 00 and a flashlight. That's it. I can't imagine having all that ammo and weight and a bandolier...I mean really, are you expecting an a small invasion?

That seems quite heavy.  I believe you can't have the bayo mounted without damaging it if the gun is fired, so how do you have it attached to the shotgun?  

I use a pistol w/ light on it for HD.  Everything else is on the vest next to the pistol.  

It's designed to be fired with the bayonet attached, so no problem.

That sounds VERY heavy.  Also - why the heat shield?  In a HD situation you're not going to be holding on to the barrel for very long.....

The heat shield is just to make it heavier. No, seriously, this is the only shotgun I own, and I also use it for clay shooting. After unleashing a few full tubes, it gets quite hot and stays that way since it's a heavy-wall barrel. And it'll just make it look that much more bad-ass.

My home defense rig?  She won't tell me her weight but Kimber I would guess is about 130.

Sorry didn't see shotgun...

LOL!