Njbanshee

Sig mosquito

Why would anyone name a product Mosquito?

It all started at the sig sauer expermential .22lr handgun tests back in the summer of 05 when a few of the team sig guys field testing it outdoors.  During the hot summer while shooting outdoors with ankle socks on the ejected hot minimag shells land on their ankles causing them to name the gun  mosquito...  instead of the sig p22

I think the biggest complaint I have with the Sig Mosquito is the trigger - it really sucks.

Question to Mosquito owners: have you done any trigger work to this pistol to improve the trigger pull weight/smoothness? Results?

Smoothness can be done easily. Just take the gun apart and remove all casting marks, mold marks, etc, lightly polish the surfaces to make the whole thing look like it wasn't made by forged Matel's discount cousin. That will smooth out the trigger quite a bit.

The weight .. dunno check rimfire forums? I recall years ago they had a thread dedicated to directions on how to make the Mosquito worth the Sig label.  

What happens if you are not able to break it in with CCI mini mags?  

My Mosquito is a huge pain with ammo and I was not able to find CCI mini mags for a long time.  My first couple of hundred rounds were a mix of Remington Thunderbolt and Federal bulk which were a lesson in frustration.  Found a box of Winchester Super-X hollow points which failed at every trigger pull, even a stuck spent cartridge which needed to be pushed out with a rod.  There is maybe a total of 400 rounds through it.  

Now I have a few hundred CCI mini mags but it had a hard time cycling the CCIs the first time I tried them.  It seemed to get better after the first few mags, I will have to give it another try next time at the range.  The trigger isn't that bad in SA, but its no where near my 1911 or PPQ.  

I love the look and feel of the Mosquito, it has been a mission trying to break this thing in!  At least it gives me a goal to achieve. 

My Mosquito finally broke in!  Took about a brick of CCI Blazers and Mini Mags.  It did seem to take forever to break it but it definitely did and now it runs beautifully with Thunderbolts, Federal, CCI standard, and CCI Blazers & Mini Mags.  

Fun and enjoyable plinker\trainer.  My wife loves it.  

For all Sig Mosquito owners who are frustrated by the trigger weight/smoothness, there is a doc on how to smooth out the trigger:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=8C39D4BECAACFCE!250&app=WordPdf&authkey=!AO-H_TXH_yP7aAY

Disassembling the Sig Mosquito:

Also removing the magazine safety disconnect will also help with reducing trigger pull weight:

Hope that helps.

The point of shooting .22s, my favorite caliber, is they're cheap, but if the gun only cycles 18-cent-per-round ammo you might as well be shooting 9x19 IMO. At least you can pretend, with a decent defense round, that you're actually doing something.

And in my experience if it doesn't shoot bulk stuff it will also eventually annoy you with CCI. E.g. my Browning Buckmark, a totally dissatisfying firearm that I will be happy to unload to anyone reading this.

Cleaning a gun after every 120 rounds is not for me. If I wanted to be a maid I'd have gone into that profession.

If a gun doesn't shoot 100% of the time, dirty as a pig, I'm not interested at any level.

The point of shooting .22s, my favorite caliber, is they're cheap, but if the gun only cycles 18-cent-per-round ammo you might as well be shooting 9x19 IMO. At least you can pretend, with a decent defense round, that you're actually doing something.

And in my experience if it doesn't shoot bulk stuff it will also eventually annoy you with CCI. E.g. my Browning Buckmark, a totally dissatisfying firearm that I will be happy to unload to anyone reading this.

Cleaning a gun after every 120 rounds is not for me. If I wanted to be a maid I'd have gone into that profession.

If a gun doesn't shoot 100% of the time, dirty as a pig, I'm not interested at any level.

There are few .22 semis that don't need cleaning. Less with handguns. You can get any type of CCI for $0.075 a round at Walmart, and that will work in most. You can get other decent ammo for $0.05 per round.

But the real question is - What is the difference between a blond and a mosquito?

I thought you sent that buck mark back to browning to have them look at it. I woul give that a try before you sell it

I thought you sent that buck mark back to browning to have them look at it. I woul give that a try before you sell it

I ordered a new magazine, got it about one week ago, but haven't taken it out yet. Sending it back is the last resort. 

While I absolutely love my Sig MK25 - I read nothing but bad things about the Mosquito.

However, while this is surely little comfort to you, I am fortunate to have a S&W M&P 22 Compact and got it even before it hit the general market - it has been awesome and has been nothing but awesome ... Further, it has continued to 'break in' and after about 400-500 rounds, it has got to be absolutely flawless with even Federal Bulk 36 gr HPs .... even though these are truly popular and quality bulk rounds, an autoloading rimfire pistol might choke on bulk HP rounds.  after a few mags to get going, it's improved steadily to the point I shoot 100-200 rds at a time without a single error.

If anyone else is considering a rimfire pistol, I highly recommend the M&P22C and actually they're going for much cheaper now than at release.

I've had one of these clunkers for a while. Took a lot of ammo before it started to break int.  Would be a nice DA/SA training gun if it wasn't so hard to squeeze.  What i heard was it was a training gun designed for Israel (?) and intentionally has a heavy combat trigger.  Also, it's picky with ammo because it was designed to fire hotter 22lr so as to better simulate stronger recoil.  I guess that makes sense, but who knows.

I did a LOT of research on fixing this gun.  Even contacted GSG about a replacement barrel to convert my Sport into a standard version.  Yes, that's right... it's not make by Sig.  There is no Sig Sauer detail and love, and the craftsmanship shows.

PD2k found the best info.  I haven't done it, but I hear that removing the mag disconnect will remove 1-2lbs of trigger pull.

For all Sig Mosquito owners who are frustrated by the trigger weight/smoothness, there is a doc on how to smooth out the trigger:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=8C39D4BECAACFCE!250&app=WordPdf&authkey=!AO-H_TXH_yP7aAY

Disassembling the Sig Mosquito:

Also removing the magazine safety disconnect will also help with reducing trigger pull weight:

Hope that helps.

PD2k found the best info.  I haven't done it, but I hear that removing the mag disconnect will remove 1-2lbs of trigger pull.

BTW, I decided to look into remmoving the mag disconnect lever and found that the pin holding it in is actually rivetted in. Removing it is simple if you decide you want to do that but I don't see how it could be reinstalled. You also have to dissasemble the pistol to the point where you have the entire action casing separated from the frame to get to that pin.

OK there is hope for all Sig Mosquito owners re: trigger. A friend of mine sent his wife's Mosquito to Bill Springfield have the trigger worked on. Turnaround was very quick - only 2 days!

We shot it at the range last night -  SA trigger was much better. Also ran 200 CCI Mini Mags though it without any FTF/FTE. It was actually fun to shoot.

For $59 (which includes overnight return shipping) I just sent my wife's out and would recommend this as an option if you do not want to do the DIY route:

http://www.triggerwork.net/sigp2xx.html

OK just an update after having shot about 1000 rounds post sending the Mosquito out for the Springfield trigger job.

Pretty decent shooter now. Trigger much better in SA than before - not the best but not the worst. DA still sucks. So far there was only two FTF. No FTE. I've only shot CCI Mini Mags.

Update Part 2: after shooting an additional 1000 rounds of CCI Mini Mags. The Mosquito is turning into a pretty good plinker. Very good feel and accuracy. Trigger pull weight and reset still not the best, but much better after the Springfield trigger job. Very minimal FTFs - no FTE experienced so far.

Haters gonna hate, but I would shoot this more often if I could only get a few brinks of CCI Mini Mags...damn you hoarders!

I think the problems were in the older Mosquito models, as the newer ones do not have two different recoil springs. Make sure to avoid those models.

Please note I have only ever shot CCI Mini Mags.

Update Part 2: after shooting an additional 1000 rounds of CCI Mini Mags. The Mosquito is turning into a pretty good plinker. Very good feel and accuracy. Trigger pull weight and reset still not the best, but much better after the Springfield trigger job. Very minimal FTFs - no FTE experienced so far.

Haters gonna hate, but I would shoot this more often if I could only get a few brinks of CCI Mini Mags...damn you hoarders!

I think the problems were in the older Mosquito models, as the newer ones do not have two different recoil springs. Make sure to avoid those models.

Please note I have only ever shot CCI Mini Mags.

Walmart usually has CCI. It's also available online if you are willing to pay up to 9 or 10 cents plus shipping.

I don't know how true it is, but I was told that the early Mosquitoes had European spec chambers - which are apparently slightly tighter then SAAMI spec chambers, which led to the chambering issues.

My Mosquito is a newer model and is reliable when fed CCI MiniMags (recommended by Sig). I get 1-2 FTF/50 rounds and 1-2 FTE/100 rounds. CCI minimags are hard to find. If I had to do it over, Iwould've gotten a Buckmark instead.

I have a mosquito sport and would hardly call that reliable!

If I had to do it again, I would get a staple gun instead of this clunker. IMHO, there is zero Sig quality in these pistols.

Did you try slapping it?

BTW, some of you guys might consider Advantage Arms kits for your real handguns (such as Glock, 1911, etc.) A big gun does feel a little funny when it is that light loaded, but they are fairly reliable with Remington golden. That is the recommended ammo. Fairly reliable as in a malfunction every couple hundred rounds. I'm good with that in a low-cap semiauto.