Sign in to follow this  
MosinRob

how not to use a muzzleloader

Holy cow- scary stuff.  And I am supposed to try a muzzle loader for the first time this weekend.  Now I know the guy who will be letting me try his gun is an experienced muzzle loader and is very safe, but these videos still make one stop and think.

Great video on dangers of not being safe and smart with a muzzleloader.

OK, so if he explained the "incorrect" powders to use for muzzle loading, then what are the "correct" powders to use?

Just curious... Thx. :)

Great demonstration but after seeing this I would be scared shit to use a muzzleloader gun. They wasted some nice looking guns. Are these muzzleloaders guns expensive?

WHY?  What makes you so complacent to think that a gun blowing-up can only happen with a muzzleloader?

Seriously, there's NOTHING to be "scared" of, as long as you're NOT STUPID and use smokeless powder (especially the pistol powder they chose here) in a muzzleloader!

Shooting ANY gun requires some form of RESPONSIBILITY and KNOWLEDGE about what you're doing.  Muzzleloading isn't any more or less dangerous than any other type of firearm, just maybe a little different, and these differences, if not taken into consideration, can KILL you!

When I was shooting for my Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle (as Rob is now), my round count per month was around the same as his is now.  Most muzzleloader owners would take YEARS to rack-up those kinds of numbers.  Simply reading on the subject, attending some Club Matches, asking questions about loading and cleaning techniques (along with being tutored in some cases), results in one's ability to be able to score quite well.  At least that's how I did it...  

Muzzleloading in general suffers from the resulting bad publicity that videos such as these produce.  Every one of those Inline Muzzleloaders are roll-stamped with "USE BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUBSTITUTES ONLY"!  So all the Stu-nods have to do is read the barrel of their own gun and read the DIRECTIONS that come with EVERY rifle!  So how hard can THAT be?  Are the manufacturers asking too much of the Hunter to do this?  It's akin to reading how to put the key in the ignition of your new car!

FWIW there wasn't a single side-lock percussion or flintlock rifle in the video, AND there also wasn't a mention of patched round balls or solid lead conical slugs used in TRADITIONAL muzzleloaders.  The REASON for this is that most Hunters who buy a muzzleloader, buy an inline model "to extend their hunting season".  This is really SAD, as the original intent of a Muzzleloader Season was to establish a season for side-locks and flintlocks to be able to work-in a little closer than the 150 grain (3-pellet), 200 yard scoped shots that the Inline models shown in the above video are capable of doing in experienced hands.   It's even sadder when you realize that Hunters in NJ aren't required to bring or use their own muzzleloader at the Hunter Safety classes, so it's no wonder that this type shit happens!  Better still, it's proven fact that most deer in NJ (there are some exceptions) are harvested at 40-50 yards, and some are taken right underneath the deer stands!

Bottom line, understand what you're doing, what your gun is capable of, etc. and muzzleloading is just as safe or safer than any other form of shooting.  After-all, you only have ONE shot, so will it be a harvested deer or a playing card cut in half or will it be a miss???

And finally, to answer your question about expense:  each model of those inlines that were purposely blown-up costs MORE than a factory, off-the-shelf traditional sidelock, especially when you consider that what ever scope you HAD on it when it blew up is now a POS or became part of the third eye in yer forehead!

RANT-off!

Everybody have a nice rest of the weekend!

Dave

FWIW there wasn't a single side-lock percussion or flintlock rifle in the video, AND there also wasn't a mention of patched round balls or solid lead conical slugs used in TRADITIONAL muzzleloaders.  The REASON for this is that most Hunters who buy a muzzleloader, buy an inline model "to extend their hunting season".  This is really SAD, as the original intent of a Muzzleloader Season was to establish a season for side-locks and flintlocks

Agreed. The special traditional or primitive seasons that began in the seventies entailed flint or percussion, and iron or peep sights only. I remember when MD special season was blackpowder only, and PA specified a muzzleloader to be flintlock. Now many states allow smokeless muzzleloaders! Let's face it though, as technology changed so too did the game laws to adapt and entice more to the sport, whether they hunt or not.

Great demonstration but after seeing this I would be scared shit to use a muzzleloader gun. They wasted some nice looking guns. Are these muzzleloaders guns expensive?

You will blow up a modern firearm just the same if you have a barrel obstruction.