Sign in to follow this  
dwamp2006

Need a shop to pin comp and shave bayo lug

So after an hour of trying to shave the bayo lug off my upper im giving up, my dremel just doesnt have the balls to do it. I was going to take the front sight post completely off and bring it to work to take to the grinder, but i cant get the pins out and i dont want to scratch anything up. 

Now im looking for a shop Recommendation around mt holly/lumberton area to shave the lug and pin and weld the comp. I want the job to be good so if you have personal experience with a place please let me know. Thanks!

Disclaimer: i do not have any operable lower receivers or other ARs while in possession of this upper....

Just curious, what attachment were you using on the dremel?

More of a grinding wheel than a cut off wheel, but its also a cordless dremel. Good for polishing parts but not much else.

If you give me a call - we do this work all the time..........

I was hoping to find somewhere close but I have your number, ill give you a call tomorrow sometime. Comps in the mail and should be here this week sometime. Thanks!

You only need to remove the ears of the lug to make it legal. If your dremel will not do it, you can probably do it with a hack saw or use a regular power drill with a grinding wheel to get the ears off-then use some perma blue or some high heat black paint to touch it up. You do not need to weld the comp,(unless 14.5") all you need to do is pin it, so it cannot be unscrewed from the barrel.

You only need to remove the ears of the lug to make it legal. If your dremel will not do it, you can probably do it with a hack saw or use a regular power drill with a grinding wheel to get the ears ofd-then use some perma blue or some high heat black paint to touch it up. You do not need to weld the comp, all you need to do is pin it, so it cannot be unscrewed from the barrel.

Unless its a 14.5" barrel.  Then BATFE rules apply. 

I know you aren't looking to do it yourself.  But this may serve as a warning to others.  Most cordless Dremel type tools lack the torque for "heavier" cutting duty.   I have a few of each type.  Like you said, the cordless is nice for light duty.  Not for cutting.  They shut down rapidly whenever a load is put on the motor to prevent over-heating.