lunker

Hiking Boot suggestions

I have been wearing Timberland Trail hiking boots for the past few years. I have two pair and the soles are both worn. I was slipping all over the place today in them. I am looking for quality boots, but at a reasonable price since new baby = poor.

The constraints are... I am a big guy (6ft 300lbs). I am hard on shoes. I have flat, fat feet (12 EEE or EEEE). I am looking for quality waterproof boots that I can use for hiking and hunting. It would be a plus if I could use them as foul weather footwear for work when it's crappy out. I am not hung up on brand names. I got the Timberlands because my wide used to get coupons for their outlet stores. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to be stomping around in PA on a pig hunt in late January, so I would like to get something soon I can have broken in by then. I would like to keep the price under $150 if possible, although I am willing to pay for quality if something is a little over that.

Thanks in advance.

I have been wearing Timberland Trail hiking boots for the past few years. I have two pair and the soles are both worn. I was slipping all over the place today in them. I am looking for quality boots, but at a reasonable price since new baby = poor.

The constraints are... I am a big guy (6ft 300lbs). I am hard on shoes. I have flat, fat feet (12 EEE or EEEE). I am looking for quality waterproof boots that I can use for hiking and hunting. It would be a plus if I could use them as foul weather footwear for work when it's crappy out. I am not hung up on brand names. I got the Timberlands because my wide used to get coupons for their outlet stores. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to be stomping around in PA on a pig hunt in late January, so I would like to get something soon I can have broken in by then. I would like to keep the price under $150 if possible, although I am willing to pay for quality if something is a little over that.

Thanks in advance.

Check out this web site http://www.zappos.com/?gclid=CPySiYCPorsCFRBnOgod0isAWQ  . There are thousands of shoes.boots,etc to chose from and there are plenty of reviews to help you decide. You can sort by type, style, size, price, etc. I always buy my boots/shoes from Zappos.

What's great are Belleville boots. They have a lot of options. All of them use Vibram outsoles so they last a long time. The uppers are full grain leather. Also they use a running shoe design so that they're easy to walk in. Break in time is minimal. They are also among your price range.

I have a pair of Lowa Renegades.  Greatest money I've spent on my feet in a long time.  Comfortable out of the gate and getting better.  I've not done super long hikes but have done some long days in them.  Crazy comfortable.

C

Bates Tactical Sport 5",  $75 - $100 - Maybe not the very best boot in the world but certainly a very good value in my opinion. They are light and comfortable on my EEE foot.  I work two jobs, landscaping in the day and building maint at night.  Considering the extreme double duty these boots are subject to every day they have held up pretty well.  The ball of the sole is substantially worn after just one year but they are still serviceable.  If you will only be wearing the boots on occasion, you can anticipate three or more years of tread life.  There was no "break in" period with these boots, they were comfortable right out of the box.  They are water proof enough for my purposes, foot will not get soaked in the rain or walking through puddles. 

I'd recommend Keen boots as well. An american company. Very well made boots. They also donated a couple of thousand pairs of boots to volunteers and victims of Hurricane sandy. I'm wearing a pair now (it was awesome getting new boots after spending 5 days volunteering in my old boots).

Six years ago, I bought a pair of "Montrail" hiking boots at EMS for a two week-long Philmont excursion. They're a leather/goretex combo with awesome ankle support, and they've never been the least bit uncomfortable (except for one single time when I had to wear wet socks for almost an hour and got a small blister from it - but wet socks can do that to you in any boot).

Since then, they've also served me on two separate weeklong appalachian trail hikes and countless rainy, muddy days.

They're still going strong and remain my go-to boots for just about anything. Sprayed them with waterproofing sealant for extra protection so I even worn them in snow sometimes. I can't recommend these boots enough.

They were a bit pricey, but worth it. Needless to say, they currently serve as my emergency/bug out/bug in boots

I got a pair of Under Armour Gore-tex lined boots, and i've been using them all winter for hunting... they are by far the best boot i have ever owned..

Completely water proof, and test assured i have submerged these boots for long periods with no leeks, i have flat feet and they are super comfortable, I wanted something for hiking, but something water tight like rubber boots but with flexibility. Yesterday i was walking along a reservoir shoreline, walking in the water and on frozen rocks and had zero issue. My feet are flat and hurt after a short period of walking... i have hiked miles in these boots with zero discomfort, they are also insanely light for their ruggedness.

If you're willing to spend just a little bit more... I'd recommend Salomon hiking/backpacking boots. I'm a big guy too, and always have had an issue with finding boots that fit me well. I was in the same boat as you... didn't want to spend more than $150 and etc... I went to an outdoors store and spent an hour trying different kids of boots and the Salomon's were amazing. I spent $50 more than I wanted to... but they were so worth it. I've had them for over 3 years now and I've done some heavy duty hiking and backpacking on them and they are still great. Best part is that they feel like a sneaker on my feet. I love them!

If you want winter hunting boots to keep your feet warm... I really like the rubber/neoprene style hunting boots. I use Muck boots (Woody Elites) for hunting in the winter and they work well for me, and they were around $150. They are also very comfortable and rugged. Regular hiking boots are probably not a good choice for cold weather hunting... your feet will get very cold.

Six years ago, I bought a pair of "Montrail" hiking boots at EMS for a two week-long Philmont excursion. They're a leather/goretex combo with awesome ankle support, and they've never been the least bit uncomfortable (except for one single time when I had to wear wet socks for almost an hour and got a small blister from it - but wet socks can do that to you in any boot).

Since then, they've also served me on two separate weeklong appalachian trail hikes and countless rainy, muddy days.

They're still going strong and remain my go-to boots for just about anything. Sprayed them with waterproofing sealant for extra protection so I even worn them in snow sometimes. I can't recommend these boots enough.

They were a pricey, but worth it. Needless to say, they currently serve as my emergency/bug out/bug in boots

+1 on Montrails