I'm betting a poor turnout today due to the inclement weather and other variables. There was less than 6,500 bear permits issued as of Friday. That's a low number. "6-day" is not what it used to be.

I'm betting a poor turnout today due to the inclement weather and other variables. There was less than 6,500 bear permits issued as of Friday. That's a low number. "6-day" is not what it used to be.

With all the other seasons available on permit I hardly hunt 6-day.

My Numbers might be off....but i think i read that 7k permits were issued for Bear season last year.  Less than 300 harvested?  With all the recent bear sightings, is the state simply not allowing hunting where the bears actually are?

I think it was 6,700 permits last year, and 6,445 permits issued as of last Friday night. Hunter turnout has been light, and the weather hasn't helped either. (9,200 bear permits were issued in 2001.)

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/bearseas12_harvest.htm

Sorry, I got caught up in the hype. All the media has talked about is "bear." Then again, 6-day used to be the traditional firearm season, but it has lost its luster since deer seasons have expanded, where bow opens as early as September, followed by permit bow, followed by permit muzzleloader, then 6-day firearm, followed by the continuation of permit muzzleloader, then permit shotgun, then winter bow, and winter permit shotgun depending on regulation set #. Depending on zone, deer hunting extends to Feb. 15th. Dizzying.