AlDente67

The Obsessive lawn care neighbor

I would never do this because I like my neighbors, even the obsessive lawn dude next to my house but ... http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8211-dandelion.aspx

Back in the 60's my new next door neighbor told me that he bought the house because his wife loved all those pretty yellow flowers in the lawn.  They were city folk.

I've helped my neighbor improve his lawn. We don't have a fence between our houses and while he always keeps the lawn mowed it had a lot of weeds and "pot hole" type dips. Last year he pulled up the "garden" that was in the middle of his backyard. For a while it was left an open hole with mounds of dirt around it. Weeds quickly grew back. I offered to help him fill it in. He went and got a bunch of top soil. We filled in the hole and leveled off many of the pot holes in the lawn. Picked up some tall fescue seed, spread it, raked it in and watered it. In two weeks he was amazed at how nice it looked!

Since then he has used his truck to pick up a few truckloads of topsoil which we have spread over both our lawns to level areas out. Spread some more seed, water it and our lawns are looking pretty nice now. I also hit the lawns with at least two feedings. Usually a spring ferilizer with a crabgrass preventer and a fall feeding. Next year I'll be adding some more flower garden areas to my yard.

I enjoy being outside and working on the lawn, shrubs and flowers but I'm not going to go crazy about it. I usually mow in the late afternoon in the hotter months and never before 11 am. We hear some neighbors out at 8 or 9 am on the weekends and I think that is too early to be making that much noise on the weekend. It's not habitual though so it isn't a problem.

Might just be a personality thing. My old man is like that. Granted, he doesn't mow or rake 5 times a week, but when he does something, he does it 150%. And if it's not yard work, it's another project. He's just a person who can't sit still. Always has to be active and doing SOMETHING. Sometimes that means cutting down tree branches for no reason at all. I don't get it, but I get why he does the useless/pointless things he does. In fact, sometimes I'm jealous that I don't have that quality. Unlike him, I have no problem spending an entire afternoon in front of the TV.