Sign in to follow this  
Sir Drake

Time to flip a coin - Ruger LC9 or Kel-Tec PF9?

Need to use a permit before the end of the month. I've read all kinds of reviews, watched some youtube vids. Tried to search on the forum but wasn't getting very good search results...

I was initially thinking about getting the LC9, but then I started reading about the Kel-Tec. Both guns look close in size, weight. Both 7+1 round capacity, etc. Kel Tec is  a little thinner and lighter though and looked like a contender. Price is within $100.00 of each other. Kel Tec looks like it has some nice accessories for it as well. Even has a rail.   

Use would be (maybe) nightstand and paper punching.

Is Ruger / Kel-Tec of the same quality, or is one way better than the other? I know nothing about Kel-Tec, but from what I read it has some merit. What about things like trigger and spring upgrades?

I really love my 92FS and the Beretta decocker system and have seen/held some of the smaller Beretta models (PX4 compact and subcompact), but for this purchase I was thinking of something small, light and relatively inexpensive.

A little help pls?

Thx!

I'm going to ask a question off your question. Why in the hell would you replace your 92fs with either of the 2 as a nightstand gun even possibly? Now that my question is out of the way. I would favor (simply off dry firing both) the Kel-tec. I personally liked the trigger pull better and the feel of the gun in my hand.

EDIT: Neither of these guns would be ideal for paper punching either. Unless you enjoy pain.

RugerLC9-Kel-TecPF9comparison-1.jpg

Kahr CM9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyvmVUHSdcw

If you're willing to go a little bigger and a few extra dollars:  SR9c or Glock 26. 

Though to piggy back on some of the statements above, this kind of gun is really for concealed carry.  It;s no fun at the range and for home defense, a full size gun w/ 15 +1 is better than a smaller gun w/ less capacity. 

These sub-compact guns are just not your best option for anything but CCing.

Both guns are kind of like saying I want to buy a mazda miata to haul 2x4's and plywood from home depot.

Both are minimum size 9's for concealed carry. Not for anything else.

Look in the reviews the for phrases like "Accuracy is good enough for a weapon of this type", "The trigger is no worse than similar pistols"

"Carry a lot, shoot a little", "I can get through one box on the range without quitting"

In my opinion buy the right tool for the job.

Really appreciate the responses from everyone, TY.

Was trying NOT to add another caliber to the mix, (like a 380). If that's the case, I might as well go back the original game plan, which was a revolver of some sort. Maybe a Ruger or S&W 3" or 4" .357. Or maybe a little .22 semi-auto???

Also was trying to keep the cost down a little, $600-$700.00 seems a little pricy for a 6 shooter, at least during this time of year. You're supposed to spend it on the children, right LOL!

Nice chart brocglock23, is that something you made up or was that on a website somewhere? Basically says what I thought, a little smaller here, a little thinner here, but pretty close. To answer your question, for me the 92fs is the best gun for the range and for home (love it!). I was just thinking out loud more or less. I figured since the full size element was taken care of, it might be nice to have something small-ish.

No CC needs (obviously).

BobZ - I did pick up a little "brochure speak" in some of the vids. Kinda funny you mentioned that. I have a trained ear for that sort of thing. ;)

Oh well, now back to the drawing board!

Love that chart brocglock23, is that something you made up or was that on a website somewhere? Basically says what I thought, a little smaller here, a little thinner here, but pretty close.

To answer your question, for me the 92fs is the best tool for the range and home. I was just thinking out loud more or less. I figured since the full size element was taken care of, it might be nice to have something small-ish.

If that's the case, get a compact, not a sub-compact.

I have a Ruger LC9 and an LCR. They are for carry and carry only. Due to recoil and accuracy, they are not "fun" to shoot. As said by a few above, they serve a specific purpose. If you're not going to carry it, don't get it. Plenty of other handguns to choose from that will be enjoyable to shoot.

I took a loooooong time deciding too.  I eventually went with the Ruger LCR but was back and forth between the LC9 and PF9 before finally deciding on something a little smaller for ccw.

But I liked the Ruger better. The quality and finish seemed better than the KelTec.

Really appreciate the responses from everyone, TY.

Was trying NOT to add another caliber to the mix, (like a 380). If that's the case, I might as well go back the original game plan, which was a revolver of some sort. Maybe a Ruger or S&W 3" or 4" .357. Or maybe a little .22 semi-auto???

Also was trying to keep the cost down a little, $600-$700.00 seems a little pricy for a 6 shooter, at least during this time of year. You're supposed to spend it on the children, right LOL!

Nice chart brocglock23, is that something you made up or was that on a website somewhere? Basically says what I thought, a little smaller here, a little thinner here, but pretty close. To answer your question, for me the 92fs is the best gun for the range and for home (love it!). I was just thinking out loud more or less. I figured since the full size element was taken care of, it might be nice to have something small-ish.

No CC needs (obviously).

BobZ - I did pick up a little "brochure speak" in some of the vids. Kinda funny you mentioned that. I have a trained ear for that sort of thing. ;)

Oh well, now back to the drawing board!

I wish I could take credit for the chart but I can't.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439594

And you might want to consider a Utah permit if you travel out of state and then I will say get a PM9. Easy to carry, only a tad bigger then my S&W Bodyguard.

FWIW, I have a Kel-Tec P-32 and it's just unpleasant to shoot. Not very comfortable or ergonomic. I just bought a Kahr CM9 and, although I've only been to the range with it once, I really like it. Comfortable and very manageable for such a small gun. Not exactly and apples-to-apples comparison, but I'd be leery of buying another Kel-Tec yet I'd buy another Kahr in a heartbeat.

If that's the case, get a compact, not a sub-compact.

I have a Ruger LC9 and an LCR. They are for carry and carry only. Due to recoil and accuracy, they are not "fun" to shoot. As said by a few above, they serve a specific purpose. If you're not going to carry it, don't get it. Plenty of other handguns to choose from that will be enjoyable to shoot.

Someone has (maybe had by now) a Glock 26 for sale in the marketplace for $400. That's out the door. If I had a permit I would've been all over it. 

Hmmmmm an M&P shield...that's got some merit. I'll do a little reading up on it. Is it one of those guns that is readily available or on back order everywhere? Also can it be changed to a .40 like the full sized M&P with a barrel change? I remember seeing that option through storm lake when I was looking into the FS M&P.

Where can I get more info on the UT CCW, and why would someone want it? I realize it would be NG in NJ but it would be OK in some other states?

Hmmmmm an M&P shield...that's got some merit. I'll do a little reading up on it. Is it one of those guns that is readily available or on back order everywhere? Also can it be changed to a .40 like the full sized M&P with a barrel change? I remember seeing that option through silver lake barrels or something like that when I was looking into the FS M&P.

Where can I get more info on the UT CCW, and why would someone want it? I realize it would be NG in NJ but it would be OK in some other states?

I don't know about swapping barrels on the shield but you can do that with a glock 27. It's a little chunkier but still very concealable. I know you're trying to stay same caliber but getting another higher power caliber isn't a terrible idea. And with a conversion to 9mm wallah.... Cheap practice, higher caliber for if and when you get Utah. (Not knocking 9mm because that is my current flavor of carry, can't conceal my 23 that well, need to lose weight I guess.)

The Utah is good in 38?? Different states. Check usacarry.com for the maps.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

How about the Beretta Nano? That's my choice of all the small single stack 9mm's. Mostly because it has no manual safety and is striker fired. Very Glock like. Also, has interchangeable frame it you want say pink or purple?

Easiest way to get a Utah non resident ccw is through a class like gun for hire has. The Utah is good for 33 States. You can pretty much drive from PA to OR with your gun holstered.

As Brockglock mentioned, get a Kahr CW9 or PM9. My daily carry (usually) is a PM9 iwb but also easily carries in front pocket of cargo short with a desantis superfly holster which i occasionally do if im wearing a tight t-shirt)

It's a Tru pocket 9mm faar better then the ruger or keltec.

No issue at range handling wise with gold dot 124 +p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for all the input guys, I think a M&P Shield 9mm is the winner...if I can find one! Gunbroker looks like about the only option. Oh well, no biggie, just gotta read all the fine print in the ads.

Good choice for a firearm ya' think? Some of the ads specifically mention post-recall for the shield, that's a nice selling point!

If any of the vendors happen to see this and have one in stock, I'd certainly welcome a PM. Time is factor, would rather use the permit in time than ask for an extension.

Oh, and I did some research, STORM lake has been dragging their feet for a 40-9 conversion barrel, however a company called kkm should have them out in about a year! YIKES! Might as well get the 9mm now, and apply for new permits in the future.