Sign in to follow this  
checko

Scary stuff

This was actually the mother and brother of an employee of mine. Scary when stuff happens close to home. I live a couple minutes away in a "safe" area. Never know what the day will bring.

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2013/12/police_seek_home_invader_who_attacked_hillsborough_couple_with_hammer_locked_them_in_closet.html#incart_river_somerset

Last spring there was a guy doing daytime burglaries and he broke into a Hillsborough Fireman's house just around the corner from me, and stole a bunch of his girlfriends and his stuff. One thing he stole was the guys handgun. It was recovered at the theifs place in Raritan Township a few weeks later.

There is no such thing as a "safe" area anymore. Those areas that people once thought were safe are now being hit because criminals know people feel more relaxed and don't think their area could ever be a victim of such an incident.

Always be prepared, always be ready. It can happen to anyone.

There is no such thing as a "safe" area anymore. Those areas that people once thought were safe are now being hit because criminals know people feel more relaxed and don't think their area could ever be a victim of such an incident.

Always be prepared, always be ready. It can happen to anyone.

Absolutely. Thats why I wanted to share this.

I'm rural.  Rarely anything happens around here.  Over the weekend 2 deli's were robbed at gun point within a few miles and a home was robbed while someone was there.  It was probably the same 2 guys.  Everybody here hunts.  They're going to pick the wrong house.

I'm rural.  Rarely anything happens around here.  Over the weekend 2 deli's were robbed at gun point within a few miles and a home was robbed while someone was there.  It was probably the same 2 guys.  Everybody here hunts.  They're going to pick the wrong house.

A point to consider (though probably redundant among this group) is that a gun in the home is useless without the proper mindset.

Lots of people have some shotguns or a rifle somewhere at home, but most are unlikely to be prepared for the worst in a violent home invasion. 

My take aways from this thread:

Lock up your guns when you're out. Always have guns within easy reach when home.

I think part of the reason that there is no safe area any more is the thieves know where all the nice stuff is, its in the nice areas. Be very cautious around Christmas time with what you put out for garbage or recycling. thieves will drive around looking for a pile of cardboard from gifts like tvs and such and then target that home. There has been allot more home and car burglary's around the Flemington area lately. some believe that a large part of it is being committed by a group of professional robbers as they suspect also pulled the robbery of the roman jewelers here in town. there is no proof of this because there is never any evidence left behind and they have the local PD's response time down perfectly. But that's why they suspect a group of pros. 

This is why I always tell people to keep a gun close to them even in their home.... There was a lot if chatter on here about how paranoid that mindset is.... The chances of needing it are next to none... But if you need it and don't have it on you it's a problem....

Having a gun readily accessible at all times means the difference between who has the worst day... You... Or the criminal...

Yes!  It is real easy to home carry a single-stack 9mm--such as M&P shield or Walther PPS or even a Glock 26.  You never have to think about where is the closest gun when you need it.  Just don't forget you have it when you go out in NJ.

Yes!  It is real easy to home carry a single-stack 9mm--such as M&P shield or Walther PPS or even a Glock 26.  You never have to think about where is the closest gun when you need it.  Just don't forget you have it when you go out in NJ.

I keep an AR15 with a 30 round mag within reach one in the chamber..... no kids.. 

A common theme I noticed among most posts in this thread were regarding burglaries during the day.  Statistically, most burglaries occur during the day, when they know you're least likely to be home.  Most burglars do not want to confront the homeowner, it's just bad business for them, which is why they go in during the day.  That's also why it's a good idea to lock your guns up when you're not home.

A common theme I noticed among most posts in this thread were regarding burglaries during the day.  Statistically, most burglaries occur during the day, when they know you're least likely to be home.  Most burglars do not want to confront the homeowner, it's just bad business for them, which is why they go in during the day.  That's also why it's a good idea to lock your guns up when you're not home.

450lb safe 4 flights of stair up with a camera pointed at both the safe and the front entry way... 

also only working 5 minutes away... police station approximately 5 minutes away as well...

I feel pretty comfortable most of the time.. 

I live in a zero crime area. But my 9mm is out of the safe when I'm home without the kids and secure nearby when they are home.

Here is an updated link with a description of the perp.

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2013/12/hillsborough_hammer-wielding_home_invader_description_released_by_prosecutor.html#incart_river

"The man was described as a black male, with dreadlocks, about 5 feet and 10 inches inches tall, with a thin build, according to Capt. Jack Bennett of the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office."

450lb safe 4 flights of stair up with a camera pointed at both the safe and the front entry way... 

also only working 5 minutes away... police station approximately 5 minutes away as well...

I feel pretty comfortable most of the time.. 

Sounds like some weaksauce bro.

So question is if some one breaks into your home and you hold them at gun point till police arrive can you be charged with simple assault or some other bogus bs

You can make a citizen's arrest in NJ - here are the judicial rules:  http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/civil/charges/3.20C.pdf

IANAL but I think this applies only to indictable offenses.   Burglary is, I believe, a third degree indictable offense.  You do run the risk of being charged with unlawful imprisonment (rather than assault).

Given the state of things in the PRNJ (especially no Castle Doctrine) this would be really risky if you could, in any way, be considered the initial aggressor - you lose your protection.   IIRC if you are the initial aggressor and the person chases YOU into your own house, YOU have a duty to retreat - even out of the house.

Hmm im gong to bite my tongue and not mention any heritage.

This state is done. I will take my chances if someone chases me into my home or comes in univited

looking to do me harm . I will not hesitate to neutralize the threat. I keep one loaded ,hidden in every room of my house.

No kids to worry about and they are out of reach and sight.. locked and loaded

I honestly wouldn't try to be a hero.  Verbally tell them that you are in fear of your life, and order them to leave your house.  If they don't leave and they make any threatening move, neutralize the threat within NJ home defense laws.  If they do leave, be a good witness.  The second they leave, and you secure your house, observe which direction they head in, or get a vehicle description with license plate number if possible.  Then write down the information, as well as a physical description of what they look like and what they are wearing.  Also do your best not to ruin any kind of evidence that may be present, such as fingerprints on anything they may have touched.  Then call the police.  This, in my opinion, is the best way to open up the least amount of legal doors possible, while still protecting yourself.

There's a longstanding tendency among prosecutors (one in the family) to evaluate situations based on roughly equivalent force.   If the scene is a dead perp on your kitchen floor, two of his rounds in your kitchen walls, evidence of a break-in and two center mass from you it's one thing.    Dead on the kitchen floor holding a baseball bat and eight HP rounds from you, rot-roh.  Dead on the curtailage (immediate area outside your home) no firearm, BIG rot-roh.

You can make a citizen's arrest in NJ - here are the judicial rules:  http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/civil/charges/3.20C.pdf

IANAL but I think this applies only to indictable offenses.   Burglary is, I believe, a third degree indictable offense.  You do run the risk of being charged with unlawful imprisonment (rather than assault).

Given the state of things in the PRNJ (especially no Castle Doctrine) this would be really risky if you could, in any way, be considered the initial aggressor - you lose your protection.   IIRC if you are the initial aggressor and the person chases YOU into your own house, YOU have a duty to retreat - even out of the house.

IANAL, but Pretty sure NJ has a Castle doctrine--maybe not a strong one, but you are not compelled to retreat from your home.  And case law even extends that to your porch (see State v. Bonano, http://dfreemanpa.tripod.com/criminalprocedurehomepage/id84.html).  Now I believe you are correct that if you are the initial aggressor, your Castle protection may change, but that does not confer the right of the other party to continue attacking.  E.g. if you are the initial aggressor outside your home and the other party fights back-once you retreat into your home and the other party is no longer threatened. I would guess that this would be considered a new conflict (since you had de-escalated be retreat) and you would now be able to defend yourself.  I hope that would be the case, but I am really not sure--especially in PRNJ.  I think I would do what is required to protect the lives of my family and be happy that I am alive (perhaps mired in legal trouble) and not dead.

However, if you were not the aggressor at anytime, and you are in your home AND in fear for your life, you have the right to defend yourself. 

I am not sure about how you would hold someone at gunpoint though--all the perp would have to do is put their hands up, turn their back and walk away.  How are you going to stop them?  If you shoot, you are screwed; and if you try to physically block them, well that is a huge risk to lose control of your weapon.  If you pull a gun and the perp decides to peacefully walk away, then you have averted a crime and there is no need to shoot.  Contact LE so they can find the perp and put him away.

http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/3-4.html

2C:3-4. Use of force in self-protection.

2C:3-4. Use of Force in Self-Protection. a. Use of force justifiable for protection of the person. Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 2C:3-9, the use of force upon or toward another person is justifiable when the actor reasonably believes that such force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself against the use of unlawful force by such other person on the present occasion.

b.     Limitations on justifying necessity for use of force.

(1)     The use of force is not justifiable under this section:

(a)     To resist an arrest which the actor knows is being made by a peace officer in the performance of his duties, although the arrest is unlawful, unless the peace officer employs unlawful force to effect such arrest; or

(b)     To resist force used by the occupier or possessor of property or by another person on his behalf, where the actor knows that the person using the force is doing so under a claim of right to protect the property, except that this limitation shall not apply if:

(i)     The actor is a public officer acting in the performance of his duties or a person lawfully assisting him therein or a person making or assisting in a lawful arrest;

(ii)     The actor has been unlawfully dispossessed of the property and is making a reentry or recaption justified by section 2C:3-6; or

(iii) The actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm.

(2)     The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm; nor is it justifiable if:

(a)     The actor, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or

(b)     The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:

(i)     The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling, unless he was the initial aggressor; and

(ii)     A public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform such duty, effect such arrest or prevent such escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom such action is directed.

(3)     Except as required by paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subsection, a person employing protective force may estimate the necessity of using force when the force is used, without retreating, surrendering possession, doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do or abstaining from any lawful action.

c. (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:3-5, N.J.S.2C:3-9, or this section, the use of force or deadly force upon or toward an intruder who is unlawfully in a dwelling is justifiable when the actor reasonably believes that the force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself or other persons in the dwelling against the use of unlawful force by the intruder on the present occasion.

(2)     A reasonable belief exists when the actor, to protect himself or a third person, was in his own dwelling at the time of the offense or was privileged to be thereon and the encounter between the actor and intruder was sudden and unexpected, compelling the actor to act instantly and:

(a)     The actor reasonably believed that the intruder would inflict personal injury upon the actor or others in the dwelling; or

(b)     The actor demanded that the intruder disarm, surrender or withdraw, and the intruder refused to do so.

(3)     An actor employing protective force may estimate the necessity of using force when the force is used, without retreating, surrendering possession, withdrawing or doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do or abstaining from any lawful action.

L.1978, c.95; amended 1987, c.120, s.1; 1999, c.73.

Wow what a great description, how the hell can anyone tell what he looks like

http://hillsborough.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/police-issue-drawing-of-sunnymeade-road-assault-suspect

Police Issue Drawing of Sunnymeade Road Assault Suspect