FLHX

Rimfire steel pistol ideas

I recently sold a Ruger 22/45 with the fluted barrel and I am now kicking myself in the backside! I am now looking for a replacement to shoot steel. I have been looking at the Buckmark, Smith 22a, Ruger lite, Beretta neos and a few more. I have never shot any of them besides the Ruger. I liked the pistol and it was very accurate.

So now I am in the position to find something the kids can shoot and I can shoot it a steel matches probably with some type of reflex sight. So I would like to get everyone opinions on any or all of the pistols listed and any other ones that I may have overlooked.

This will be only used for steel and playing at the range.

Also whats the difference between the Camper model and standard Buckmarks?

For a gun that you may use a lot at steel matches, i'd steer you towards the ultralight versions of the Buckmark or MArk 3. Both have a steel lined aluminum barrel that is lightning quick to transition. Another benefit of the lightweight gun is that it also cuts down on fatigue for younger shooters when holding the gun for longer periods when casual shooting.

Ruger 22/45 Lite has 4.4 barrel length. 23 oz weight, with a Volquartzen accurizing kit, dropping the magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator, will make this into a nice tack driving comp gun. Mods can all be done whenever time and funds allow.  Add bases to magazines, include optic of  your choice, can't ask for much more.

Of couse you could go the 1911-22LR route as well. Lots of options here as well.

Mark II Gov't is sweet with the Volquartsen add ons, the 22/45 5.5" bull is even sweeter with the above enhancements.  Would like to try a SR-22 though, but heard trigger is a little rough. 

Depending what other guns you have a .22LR conversion kit might fit the bill.  I have one for my Kimber 1911 (Kimber kit) and it is quite accurate and I have never had a miss-feed or jam with it.  Also has adjustable sights.  They list for about $300, but you might be able to find a used on for less.  Also in the People's Republic of NJ you don't need a P2P to get one.

My son has a Neos, a nice little shooter.  Not sure if it has a magazine disconnect (won't go BANG w/o the mag in).  Having a gun with a mag disconnect is extra work for you AND the RO at a match.  And it ties-up a mag full-time, since you need an empty mag to show clear and click the trigger before holstering/bagging.

It is what it is I guess.......

What would really be cool is someone showing-up to a steel match with a H and R Top Break, lol!  And EASY for the kids to learn to shoot too!

Dave

Depending what other guns you have a .22LR conversion kit might fit the bill.  I have one for my Kimber 1911 (Kimber kit) and it is quite accurate and I have never had a miss-feed or jam with it.  Also has adjustable sights.  They list for about $300, but you might be able to find a used on for less.  Also in the People's Republic of NJ you don't need a P2P to get one.

I have the same kit.  Great conversion.  What ammo do you use?  

I've got a 22/45 LITE with all of the Volquartsen stuff in it. It's an accurate, fun little gun. Right now I'm just using the irons though. Some type of an optic is next for it.

I'd be interested in hearing what other folks are using.....

I've got a 22/45 LITE with all of the Volquartsen stuff in it. It's an accurate, fun little gun. Right now I'm just using the irons though. Some type of an optic is next for it.

I'd be interested in hearing what other folks are using.....

This is the one i put on mine..

Edit: if i remember right the screw was too long and i had to use the original or i cut it down. their is a thread on the forum but i cannot pull it up..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/885404/tactical-solutions-front-sight-ruger-mark-ii-mark-iii-22-45-375-height-aluminum-fiber-optic-red

There are a few top names in the 22 world that have been mentioned already.

That being said, personally I feel the ruger platform is better over the buckmark as far as semi autos go, I have an older Mark 2 that's been pretty much flawless.

Also consider the S&W 617, it's quickly become my favriote gun to compete in for rimfire steel challenge and it performs well.

Yep - I already switched out the Ruger front sight for an aftermarket fiber optic blade. That was a great help. 

I'm  interested in adding some type of an optic on the rail next. Anyone using anything like a Trijicon RMR or a Reflex?

This is the one i put on mine..

Edit: if i remember right the screw was too long and i had to use the original or i cut it down. their is a thread on the forum but i cannot pull it up..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/885404/tactical-solutions-front-sight-ruger-mark-ii-mark-iii-22-45-375-height-aluminum-fiber-optic-red

There are a few top names in the 22 world that have been mentioned already.

That being said, personally I feel the ruger platform is better over the buckmark as far as semi autos go, I have an older Mark 2 that's been pretty much flawless.

Also consider the S&W 617, it's quickly become my favriote gun to compete in for rimfire steel challenge and it performs well.

Alec I sold you that 617. I shot steel with it a few times and it shot nice. I just don't want to pay that much for a revolver when I can get a 22/45 Lite for much cheaper. Also I think I found the loading block for that 617 if your interested 9 position one. I found it awhile ago so it may be lost again or maybe it was a 2 position speed loader holder. I cannot remember did I include the loading block in the package for the revo?

Alec I sold you that 617. I shot steel with it a few times and it shot nice. I just don't want to pay that much for a revolver when I can get a 22/45 Lite for much cheaper. Also I think I found the loading block for that 617 if your interested 9 position one. I found it awhile ago so it may be lost again or maybe it was a 2 position speed loader holder. I cannot remember did I include the loading block in the package for the revo?

Ha oh yah. Didnt notice the user name.  I cant remeber if the block was in the package, regardless - I have a nice setup that holds 100 rounds. see if you can sell it local or put it up on the forums. 

Anyone ever used a Ruger Sp101? I saw one the other day for a descent price.  I liked the 617 but at the time it need to go, I would get another one down the road but for my next purchase was thinking about the sp101. Any thoughts?

Anyone ever used a Ruger Sp101? I saw one the other day for a descent price.  I liked the 617 but at the time it need to go, I would get another one down the road but for my next purchase was thinking about the sp101. Any thoughts?

I have a Sp101, never shot competitively. I shoot steel in my backyard tho, Its a nice revolver.

I don't know the rules for steel shooting, but you might also want to consider the Sig Classic series in .22lr - I believe you can get a P220, P226 and P229 in .22, then add a caliber x-change kit to convert them to 9mm, .357sig, .40s&w or .45 depending on which model you choose.  The frames on the .22lr Classic handguns are the same as used on the centerfire calibers.

I got the 229 a while back and added the .40 kit.  Cost me less overall than buying the gun in .40 from the start, and I got both calibers and the ability to add .357sig and 9mm later.

Just to throw something a little diffrent out there.....EAA Witness Match with 22 conversion kit.  You can shoot 9mm, 22, 45, 38 super all through the same gun.  Sweeeeeeet.  Very much on my "to buy" list. I have seen them listed for about $550 (without the conversion kit).

http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/witness-elite-match/

It really depends how competive you want to be. The number one thing is light so you can make the transitions faster. A good cheaper gun is the Ruger 22/45 light compact. Am accurate gun is important but it need not be a tack driver. Longest shot is usually 25 yards at an 8in plate and most of the time a 10in or a tombstone or rectangle. Score is the fastest 4 runs out of five typically at five plates with a designated stop plate