NJSigfan

For the concealed carry people, I have a question

What side do you carry your spare mag? Strong side or weak?

While shopping for a holster lately I've seen "kits" that have the mag carrier on the same side of the holster. To me, that seems odd since it would require you to switch the firearm to the weak hand, drop the mag, reload and then switch back to strong hand...

I would think that a separate holder carried on the weak side is better?

Thanks for the help

I have Utah; when I get to PA or DE I carry. I have my carry gun on my right at the 4:30ish position, IWB holster. I carry my spare mag on my left side, 9:00, usually in an old cell phone vertical flip case.

I've done the shoulder holster as well so the gun and mags are cross-drawn but I like the IWB better.

sadly I have to admit.. I still am not carrying a spare mag on my body on a regular basis.. I carry my gun every day.. but unless I am going somewhere that concerns me I normally just have a spare 22 round mag in my back pack.. and another one in my glove box.. 

I know anything could happen anywhere.. but if I followed that mentality I would be wearing my vest and carrying several spare mags every day.. and I just don't feel thats practical.. 

sadly I have to admit.. I still am not carrying a spare mag on my body on a regular basis.. I carry my gun every day.. but unless I am going somewhere that concerns me I normally just have a spare 22 round mag in my back pack.. and another one in my glove box.. 

I know anything could happen anywhere.. but if I followed that mentality I would be wearing my vest and carrying several spare mags every day.. and I just don't feel thats practical..

same here..never carry a spare on my person..guess I'm complacent with the 10+1 in my Glock 26...i know..i know complacency kills..at any rate my baby Glock is in a Desantis nylon IWB at 3 oclock..

Come on. You guys know by now that a reload is not a spare, and it's not about extra ammo. Guns stop working in fights and you often have to rip the mag out if you want to get them working again. And extra ammo never hurts anyway.

^^^ this. True story, good guy gets the mag dropped from his gun during a struggle for the weapon. Needs to shoot but only has one round. He fires one into the a guys chest at near contact distance. Bad guy keeps fighting, hitting good guy in the head with a blunt object. Good guy has to wrestle with this guy until he goes unconscious, taking repeated blows to the head. According to the good guy, a reload would have been possible and would have solved his issue, but he didn't have one. Just 12 rounds in a mag on the floor behind the bad guy.

You can lead a horse to water....

"But but but..... It's heavy and inconvenient and uncomfortable. If I can't get it done with what is in my gun, I deserve to die. I avoid bad neighborhoods so I should be ok. Nothing bad happens in nice towns (Short Hills). I will grab an extra mag when I think I may need it..." :rolleyes:

It's another facet of the "won't happen here" mentality or the "bad things only happen in bad places". It's a mindset issue.

I just want to know where they get their crystal balls that let them know if they are about to have the worst day of their lives. If I knew when I was going to get in a gunfight I would stay home, not plus up mags for the day.

But, when it come down to it, we are all big boys and play by big boy rules. It's their decision, even if it makes no sense to me.

A spare magazine on your strong side is better than no spare magazine.

I'm not a big fan of letting my spare Kel Tec mag jingle around in my pocket.  I did that when I was in Florida and it would shift with the weight of the magazine.  Sometimes coins would get lodged between the top and second most cartridge.

My solution was to put the magazine on my weak since in an old cell phone case.  These days its fairly common for a guy to have more than once cell phone, especially if they work in IT.  So it's not too strange to see.

Come on. You guys know by now that a reload is not a spare, and it's not about extra ammo. Guns stop working in fights and you often have to rip the mag out if you want to get them working again. And extra ammo never hurts anyway.

I know... its a fault... 

I have shot the gun a million times with a ton of different ammos.. no malfunctions.. 

which means the one day I need it.. is when I am sure there will be an issue.. I would love to carry a spare mag.. I am not sure why I dont.. 

3 vs. 1 in PA:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9363207

- 37 rounds fired

- Perp 1 - dead

- Perp 2 - fled

- Perp 3 - fled

- Victim 1 (armed) - critical

- Victim 2 - OK

BTW, tell your legislators that the chances of a cop having to face more than one shooter are extremely low. The chances of you having to are up to 50% by some estimates. Tell me again why only police need mags over 10 rounds? Or 7?

I have no idea why he is doing it but maybe it's if he experiences an ammo failure he could swap mags but idk racking the slide should serve the same function. If you get one dud fear are the chances of a second? Of course This pertains to using quality sd ammo that you have already tested :)

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity