Gunnz

Newb Stock Advice....

23 posts in this topic

About a month ago, I posted a thread about buying or building and AR, and after coming across a great vendor deal, I purchased an Mp15 sport model from remixer for under 600.... Thanks again Steve!

Took it to a range last weekend, and loved the gun with one exception, the pinned legal stock is too long for me. I'm 5'10, but have worked out a lot in the past and have a pretty large chest ( not bragging) and the length of the firearm isn't perfect for me.

I know collapsible stocks are a no no in this great republic, and have been looking for alternatives. I like Magpuls look, quality and price. A local shop had the MOE fixed carbine stock in stock and almost bought it but.....

I'm a newb, and am not that handy. I mean I striped my glocks all the way down to clean them, but again a monkey can do that.

Would that be a product I could install myself with minimal work? Minimal tools?

Would I need a new buffer tube?

Would I be able to get the old stock off that's pinned?

Is it even legal to do this myself.

I'm kinda in a time crunch now too. I am going out of town this weekend to the south, and will be bringing it with me, gonna really test it out at a real range down in NC and would love for it to "feel" better.

Do you have a picture of the stock currently on it? Also I'm sure a few ffl's on the board here will gladly adjust it for a reasonable fee.

Edit: If you can see the tension pins on both sides you can knock them out, reposition the stock to your liking by drilling the new holes. I pinned my stock and have moved it several times depending on my mood. If you want to do a simple complete swap including the buffer tube an armorers wrench will do the trick. You can generally find them pretty cheap on amazon.

Do you have a picture of the stock currently on it? Also I'm sure a few ffl's on the board here will gladly adjust it for a reasonable fee.

It's the "stock"stock, cheap collapsable look a like. It's an entry level gun, I don't wanna really put much money into it. I can find the magpul moe carbine fixed stock for under 50, that's about all I want to go into it further.

Basically looks like this photo. I do believe I can see the pin, and think with a set of punches, can get it out. I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling new holes.

Would the magpul fixed stock be able to slide on the old buffer tube?

Basically looks like this photo. I do believe I can see the pin, and think we a set of punches, can get it out. I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling new holes.

Would the magpul fixed stock be able to slide on the old buffer tube?

I don't see a photo but what you would have to pay attention to is the buffer tube once you got the pins out. Is it mil-spec or commercial? Mil-spec is a flat back while the commercial buffer tube has a small 5 degree angle on the back. pay attention when ordering a new stock.  And as far as drilling holes you would already have the guide holes on the stock so that would be completely up to you but IMHO it is easy.

I have the same...It's pinned.

yPsHOhQ.jpg

And I went with the Magpul MOE Fixed stock.

PmgxXg5.jpg

Is the rifle any shorter with the magpul fixed

Stock on there? I'm only looking for a little shorter

I can't remember the exact measurement when I did the swap.  But I think its about an inch shorter.  I like the fit and feel of the Magpul MOE alot.  But on my next one I'm leaning towards the Ace Skeleton "Short" version.

Another quick question.....

So I am pretty sure I need a new tube...

Would it be legal to have the magpul fixed carbine stock on when I am in the state on Nj and a collapsable stock on out of state?

I mean, as long as the collapsable isn't on the gun is it legal to possess in NJ?

Another quick question.....

So I am pretty sure I need a new tube...

Would it be legal to have the magpul fixed carbine stock on when I am in the state on Nj and a collapsable stock on out of state?

I mean, as long as the collapsable isn't on the gun is it legal to possess in NJ?

you can not have the stock in NJ..... some will argue constructive possession.. 

you can leave it in that "other state"

Should just be a flat head screw on the back I believe.

http://youtu.be/inlH090KdpA

I have the same (M&P15 Sport)...It's pinned.

yPsHOhQ.jpg

And I went with the Magpul MOE Fixed stock.

PmgxXg5.jpg

I like the look, just wondering if its going to be too short.

I find the fully elongated adjustable stocks to be too short. 

Are there any other fixed stocks on the longer side? 

I like the look, just wondering if its going to be too short.

I find the fully elongated adjustable stocks to be too short. 

Are there any other fixed stocks on the longer side? 

are you like 9 feet tall? because a fully extended AR stock is pretty long.. 

better pic - you can see its length difference.

top (m&p15 sport lower with moe fixed stock)

bottom (spikes lower with m&p15 sport stock)

fI59Zoc.jpg

That picture explains it all, and the difference is pretty significant. I am gonna buy a new buffer

And get the fixed carbine stock.

Thank you for the visual!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By mrmister2000
      Hi all.
      This is my first time posting in the forum. After having searched through both this forum and the inner-webs, in general for information pertaining to the legality of this this particular stock, I have seemingly gotten nowhere, so I figured I'd post/ask about it here.
      The stock in question is the Strike Industries Viper Modular Fixed Stock and I am trying to find out if it would count as having one of the "offending features" within the state of NJ?

The stock definitely does not fold, and it does not appear to qualify as telescoping under the traditional sense. The length of pull IS adjustable by means of spacers inserted between the castle nut and the actual stock, BUT the adding/removing of these spacers requires using a hex wrench to completely disassemble the stock first.
      My questions are:
      Do any of you currently have/use this particular stock here in the State of NJ?
      Do you think this stock would qualify as one of NJ's offending features, or at least look "different-enough" to put one under risk of enhanced scrutiny and possible arrest if one had it on their AR-15?
      I had one gunsmith tell me that stocks must be permanently pinned (not true, since the only thing I recall as needing to be permanent is the muzzle brake) and I also had a representative from U.S. Law Shield tell me that he "Didn't think it would count as an offending feature, but in the State of NJ who knows?"
      Looking forward to the replies.

• By JT Custom Guns
      Troy PAR    (Pump Action Rifle)
      .223 / 5.56 Nato
      New in Box

FEATURES:   -16" Melonite barrel -1:7 RH twist -Troy Medevil Flash Hider -Fully Adjustable Troy Battleaxe Mil-Spec stock -Alpha-style handguard with full-length top rail -Troy BattleAx control grip -Standard trigger -Billet machined railed flat-top upper receiver -Billet machined lower receiver -M4 feed ramps -Mil-Spec hardcoat anodized finish -Manual lever safety with indicator markings on both sides of receiver -Full Size 10 round magazine   100% NJ legal

$775.00

100% NJ Legal AR - Threaded BBL., Adj. Stock, ect.

• By JT Custom Guns
      STAG VRST
      Weight: 6.5 lbs
      Length: 32.25" collapsed, 35.5" extended
      Action: Semi-Auto Direct Impingement
      Caliber: 5.56 NATO | .223
      Twist Rate: 1/7 Button Rifled
      Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider  (Muzzle Brake in NJ)
      Barrel: 16", 4150 Steel, Chrome Lined, Government Profile, Manganese Phosphate Coated
      Handguard: Diamondhead VRST Series 3 M-LOK 13.5" Handguard
      Receiver Material: Forged and Mil-Spec 7075 T6 Aluminum with Type 3 Hard Coat Anodizing
      Bolt Carrier: Mil-Spec Manganese Phosphate coated M16 BCG
      Gas System: Carbine Length with Low Profile Gas Block
      Charging Handle: Standard Mil-Spec
      Buttstock: Magpul MOE SL Stock
      Buffer: H Buffer and Spring
      Trigger: Mil-Spec Single Stage Trigger with Enhanced Trigger Guard
      Grip: Hogue Pistol Grip
      Magazine: 30rd PMAG  (10rd in NJ)
      Safety Selector: Right Hand
      SKU: STAG580024-D
      +  Mfg. Lifetime Warranty
      $850.00 - NJ Compliant with Hardshell Carry Case

• By MichaelDiggs
      My AR is an all MIL-SPEC. I have a basic buffer tube using a castle nut which has a receiver hole for a swivel for a strap. I installed the Magpul MOE MIL-SPEC fixed carbine stock. Installed fine and they even made a special adapter that didn't cover the swivel hole so I can mount a swivel there! Awesome. The way it holds on to the buffer tube is horrible. It's just one small bolt that installs across the bottom of the buffer tube and even with loctite the damn thing kept coming lose and start to pull off, since I could see the space and castle nut more and more. I also had a Strike Industries Viper fixed stock. Had a better install system but the damn cap that you put on first COVERS the damn swivel hole for my sling adapter. Why the heck would they do that? Also, what's even more odd is that cap doesn't even fit properly over the castle nut and swivel hole. Just don't get it. I watched the dude on youtube.com install it and of course it worked perfect. Here is that video. I'll also attach a picture or two showing you what it looks like on my buffer tube. Something is off somewhere. Then I eventually find out all those slots and holes on the stock aren't for mounting anything but snap hooks which I hate. I wonder why they just couldn't include a damn swivel QD hole or something. Anyway I'l eventually make a call to Strike to find out why their adapter isn't fitting my buffer tube and covering my swivel attachment hole. That is exactly where I wanted to mount my swivel for my strap but can't do it with this stock. I'll just need to use this one temporarily, return the badly made MOE fixed stock that doesn't stay on and keep on looking. Pictures attached as well.
      Cap not fitting over castle nut and swivel hole
      Second pic of cap not fitting over

• By remixer
      Here are some of my recent arrivals worth mentioning.
      LWRC DI 5.56 / 223
      Modular One-Piece, Free-float Rail, Rail Panels, Angled Fore-grip and Hand Stop, Cold Hammer-Forged, Spiral Fluted 16.1 Barrel, Fully Ambidextrous Mag Release, Bolt Catch, & Selector. Price Includes all NJ Compliance work.
      $1275.00

Sig Sauer M400 Elite 5.56 / 223
      New Model for 2017, Aluminum M-Lok Hand guard, 16" 1:7 twist Barrel, Sig Enhanced Trigger,
      Price includes all NJ compliance work.
      $1100.00

Sig Sauer p320 9mm Full-size w/Contrast Sights (15rds)
      Includes 2 Magazines , Plastic Case and Lock. Additional Magazines Available
      $535.00

Sig Sauer p320 9mm Carry w/Contrast Sights (15rds)
      Includes 2 Magazines , Plastic Case and Lock. Additional Magazines Available
      $535.00

Hi-Point 9TS 9mm Carbine Black
      $285.00

Hi-Point 9TS 9mm Carbine Camo
      $325.00

• Didnt Corzine try the same smoke and mirror tax raising scheme?
    • Depends on personal preference...

If we are talking pistol grip only, I actually prefer the Raptor grip over a traditional pistol grip nowadays. Just feels a little more comfortable. The brace setup on my TAC-14 uses a regular pistol grip, but I do have a standard grip, if need be.

For stocks, I like something like a Magpul stock. Rather have something more inline with the receiver/barrel.

• I have an anderson lower, new that i put together with psa upgraded internals. It has all internals polished including trigger. The only thing i havent done is put the stock on. I do have a pinned stock that can be included. Let me know if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I have an anderson lower built with psa upgraded parts with polished internals and polished trigger. The only thing i havent completed is the stock. I have a pinned stock that i can include. Let me know if interested. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • It's easy when people have no experience with guns so they are scared of them. My mom's always been nervous about guns. Last time she was over, my wife and I shower her our guns and my mom freaked over me having an "assault rifle". I let her hold it and then grabbed some ammo and showed her what .22lr looks like. Let her hold the Beretta and I could see the fear leaving her. It's such a silly thing to fear if you treat it with the respect it deserves.