Gunnz

Newb Stock Advice....

About a month ago, I posted a thread about buying or building and AR, and after coming across a great vendor deal, I purchased an Mp15 sport model from remixer for under 600.... Thanks again Steve!

Took it to a range last weekend, and loved the gun with one exception, the pinned legal stock is too long for me. I'm 5'10, but have worked out a lot in the past and have a pretty large chest ( not bragging) and the length of the firearm isn't perfect for me.

I know collapsible stocks are a no no in this great republic, and have been looking for alternatives. I like Magpuls look, quality and price. A local shop had the MOE fixed carbine stock in stock and almost bought it but.....

I'm a newb, and am not that handy. I mean I striped my glocks all the way down to clean them, but again a monkey can do that.

Would that be a product I could install myself with minimal work? Minimal tools?

Would I need a new buffer tube?

Would I be able to get the old stock off that's pinned?

Is it even legal to do this myself.

I'm kinda in a time crunch now too. I am going out of town this weekend to the south, and will be bringing it with me, gonna really test it out at a real range down in NC and would love for it to "feel" better.

Do you have a picture of the stock currently on it? Also I'm sure a few ffl's on the board here will gladly adjust it for a reasonable fee.

Edit: If you can see the tension pins on both sides you can knock them out, reposition the stock to your liking by drilling the new holes. I pinned my stock and have moved it several times depending on my mood. If you want to do a simple complete swap including the buffer tube an armorers wrench will do the trick. You can generally find them pretty cheap on amazon.

Do you have a picture of the stock currently on it? Also I'm sure a few ffl's on the board here will gladly adjust it for a reasonable fee.

It's the "stock"stock, cheap collapsable look a like. It's an entry level gun, I don't wanna really put much money into it. I can find the magpul moe carbine fixed stock for under 50, that's about all I want to go into it further.

Basically looks like this photo. I do believe I can see the pin, and think with a set of punches, can get it out. I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling new holes.

Would the magpul fixed stock be able to slide on the old buffer tube?

Basically looks like this photo. I do believe I can see the pin, and think we a set of punches, can get it out. I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling new holes.

Would the magpul fixed stock be able to slide on the old buffer tube?

I don't see a photo but what you would have to pay attention to is the buffer tube once you got the pins out. Is it mil-spec or commercial? Mil-spec is a flat back while the commercial buffer tube has a small 5 degree angle on the back. pay attention when ordering a new stock.  And as far as drilling holes you would already have the guide holes on the stock so that would be completely up to you but IMHO it is easy.

I have the same...It's pinned.

yPsHOhQ.jpg

And I went with the Magpul MOE Fixed stock.

PmgxXg5.jpg

Is the rifle any shorter with the magpul fixed

Stock on there? I'm only looking for a little shorter

I can't remember the exact measurement when I did the swap.  But I think its about an inch shorter.  I like the fit and feel of the Magpul MOE alot.  But on my next one I'm leaning towards the Ace Skeleton "Short" version.

Another quick question.....

So I am pretty sure I need a new tube...

Would it be legal to have the magpul fixed carbine stock on when I am in the state on Nj and a collapsable stock on out of state?

I mean, as long as the collapsable isn't on the gun is it legal to possess in NJ?

Another quick question.....

So I am pretty sure I need a new tube...

Would it be legal to have the magpul fixed carbine stock on when I am in the state on Nj and a collapsable stock on out of state?

I mean, as long as the collapsable isn't on the gun is it legal to possess in NJ?

you can not have the stock in NJ..... some will argue constructive possession.. 

you can leave it in that "other state"

Should just be a flat head screw on the back I believe.

http://youtu.be/inlH090KdpA

I have the same (M&P15 Sport)...It's pinned.

yPsHOhQ.jpg

And I went with the Magpul MOE Fixed stock.

PmgxXg5.jpg

I like the look, just wondering if its going to be too short.

I find the fully elongated adjustable stocks to be too short. 

Are there any other fixed stocks on the longer side? 

I like the look, just wondering if its going to be too short.

I find the fully elongated adjustable stocks to be too short. 

Are there any other fixed stocks on the longer side? 

are you like 9 feet tall? because a fully extended AR stock is pretty long.. 

better pic - you can see its length difference.

top (m&p15 sport lower with moe fixed stock)

bottom (spikes lower with m&p15 sport stock)

fI59Zoc.jpg

That picture explains it all, and the difference is pretty significant. I am gonna buy a new buffer

And get the fixed carbine stock.

Thank you for the visual!