cold shot

Is there a market for non-Digital cameras ?

Just checked on Amazon and they are going for between $19 and $100 or so, lots for sale on FleaBay too.  With the flash and filters you might do better.  Adorama buys used equipment as do other photo outfits.  There is always Craigslist too.

Yes, there is a niche market for film, and a few specialty shops still sell and develop film. Unfortunately, the availability of mid-level film kits far outweighs the demand.

Some film bodies like the Nikon F4 or F6, or Mamiya 645 or 67 fetch good prices, but not that Minolta series. Worth a shot at selling, as long as you have realistic expectations about price.

If you have minolta autofocus lenses that go with your 7000, there is minor interest, as Sony bought the minolta line and use that mount for their digital cameras. 

EDIT - take a look at www.keh.com - that will give you an idea of what you've got and what it's worth.

If you bring it to a store that will buy cameras, the camera itself will get you maybe $1-10.  Lenses, depending on what they are, might be worth something as long as they are all autofocus and Minolta branded.  If you have a Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Quantaray, etc branded lens or it is manual focus, then chances are the lens is worth next to nothing as well.  Old film era flashes are next to worthless as most old flashes MAY DAMAGE a current digital camera if mounted directly on it.

As has been mentioned, the Sony Alpha cameras can use old Minolta AF lenses.  Kit lenses are not going to command much of a premium, but if you have some of the more special lenses, those could be still pretty valuable.  If it is a zoom lens, a constant f/2.8 or some constant f/4 lenses will likely be worth money.  If it is a fixed focal length, fast lenses like f/1.4, f/1.8, f/2 are likely valuable.  (The only exception is a 50mm f/1.8 or f/2, which is likely a kit lens and therefore common, but always double check)  The lower the f/ number (aperture), the more expensive a lens originally was.  I believe it was Minolta that made a 500mm mirror autofocus lens, which is a rather rare and pretty valuable lens. 

If you do your research and find it is all worth very little, best thing is to see if any kids you know are interested in photography, they may have some use for it...Unless you develop your own, finding places to develop film will become an issue in the upcoming years, as local places are not getting the volume they need, and the chemicals are going bad, and it is not cost effective to run the equipment...not to mention it is hard to get replacement parts for the aging machines.  You may have to mail the film out in the future.

Used Sony digital camera bodies:

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Digital/system-Sony-Digital/category-Camera-Bodies?s=1&bcode=DS&ccode=2&cc=2855&r=WG&f

Just understand that the focal length is different for most digital cameras vs 35 mm, because the digitizer (the thing that converts the light to digits) is generally smaller than the 35mm format.  the multiplier is about 1.5....that means the "Normal" lens in the 35mm film format are 50mm, while its closer to 35mm in digital. It also means that the typical 80-200mm tele zoom you probably have from your 7000 is now a killer zoom, your 50mm "normal" is now a nice portrait lens, but you're sorely lacking for a wide angle.

Digital is a lot of fun...and once you have the hardware, its a lot cheaper than film

have fun!

Actually that only applies to crop sensor cameras also known as DX. If you have a full frame digital camera such as my Nikon D800e the sensor is the same size as 35mm film. While the 1.5 crop factor works for you in long lenses it works against you in wide angle lenses as they become less wide with DX cameras.

If it's 35 mm film there are some places with active wet labs that will develop 35mm. I know for a fact my store does it, but it has to be C-41 process.

I'm no where near well versed enough on film cameras to give advice, but there are stores that also sell 35 mm film as well. Kodak and Fuji and the two major movers and shakers when it comes to film these days. You can get other brands of film but be prepared to pay through the nose for it.

The only area on this I am well versed in is photo chemicals. We use a closed multi-tank machine. As long as the machine's circulation pump is running and it has water, the chemicals don't really go bad for a little while. What does cause the chemicals to go bad is stagnation (lack of circulation), over processing (processing more film than the solution was designed for), or a solution containing to much water. Processing solution in the machine should be changed quarterly, to avoid the above. And solution on the shelf (not being used) has a shelf life of six months.

I'm not sure how small time deveolpers do it, but that's how we handle film and chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk