Sign in to follow this  
Scrap

New Remington 597 HB combo from DSG!

So I went shopping and came home with a nice little shooter.  Having scoped it out literally and quite figuratively a week or so ago, I decided to quite figuratively pull the proverbial trigger on this today.  Will make a nice surprise for my Dad I surmise.

Remington apparently makes quite a few distributor exclusives they call Special Runs, which are in fact identifiable on their website.  I found that the Remington 597 I bought in Jan 2010 as my first longgun purchased personally, was in fact a Dick's Sporting Goods exclusive.  It was/is a 597 'regular' with a 20" 'sporter' (regular) barrel, an included "Remington" 3-9x32mm scope, and an olive drab green synthetic stock that matches their SPS Varmnit line in the 700.  Was an awesome package for $199.99 back then... and when I did a bunch of upgrades it has become an amazing rifle well suited to many tasks.

The model I just bought is another, newer DSG exclusive- a 20" heavy barrel and when they say heavy barrel, they mean HEAVY BARREL- it is straight up SOLID.  Also included was the most-likely-same 3-9x32mm Remington scope.  As I upgraded my first 597 with a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm, I will most likely be upgrading this one with a new (perhaps Nikon) scope as well.  And the Volquartsen extractor and hammer are musts as well.  

Anyway I am posting this because if anyone needs an idea for gun buying or wants to treat themselves to a quite affordable and very awesome package, you should go check them out.  Available at the DSG in PA near the Oxford Valley Mall (and perhaps other PA DSG's but only the basic 597 combo for $219.99 now is at NJ DSG's I found)....  the HB combo is $250 whereas the sporter, "regular" barrel w/ green stock is $219.99.

They are having a sale right now among other rifles they say $20 off CENTERFIRE rifles $150-$400 but I simply asked for the $20 discount for having bought so many long guns from Dick's in the past few years and they gave it to me, I'm sure it could be bamboozled by others if you ask nicely.  (OH AND YOU GET 10% off a first purchase when you apply for a DSG credit card but we are saving this for a more substantial purchase in the future).

Here she is in the box, not much to look at yet.

bl6b.jpg

ohbx.jpg

amze.jpg

And a few of my 597 in his war-paint:

2ouz.jpg

6aa.JPG

7xf6.jpg

2ujn.jpg

I picked up the same model 597HB back in January of this year.  I love it.  I've got 700 or so rounds through it without a single hiccup.  And it groups great, hasn't had any issues with any type of ammo I've run through it.  I keep messing with the scopes on it, haven't settled on one yet, may actually head to the range to zero the next one tomorrow.

Hey Joe I am glad to hear you are having such success with yours!  Not that I needed re-inforcement or encouragement for the purchase but it's great to have!  I am a big Remington fan and also love my 597... In my "younger days" I would enjoy going to war on this and other forums defending it and explaining how I did not and do not want a 10/22, I don't like them nor Ruger, I don't care what others think, and how happy I am and how I spent countless time and effort customizing mine perfectly.  I am also not in the least scared to admit- I had serious trouble with mine before I installed the VQ parts.  I am sure it was also a little combination of my inexperience in general, Remington rimfire ammo which is the lowest quality there is, and the notorious 597 extraction issues.... but once I put a little faith and of course money into it, I was rewarded with what amounts to a semiautomatic "sniping system" of high high quality and most extreme fun.

I came close yesterday to buying a few different scopes and then didn't.  I actually was in payment process on MidwayUSA, when I realized I had an email for $20 off $100 at DSG online... and I went to buy the same scope from them, but they wouldn't honor the $20/100 deal and I wound up giving up.  So I am still debating ... I know what I like and what I want but now I will just try to get the best deal for the money...and if I want to wait to see what happens after Christmas, I will be giving the scope as a gift so it's no problem , my intended 'recipient' would rather get a better scope on 12/28 than an inferior and more expensive one on 12/25.

Last thing- I will say this- I looked through the catalogs.  Apparently Dick's WAS selling a 597 HB ATACS with a 16.5" 5R *threaded* HB... but it was $400 nearly and on sale sometimes for $350.  I would have loved that but it was not available at 3 DSG I went to and a bit more substantially priced.

Just wanted to add a few things- got my order in for a few extras for this- a Nikon ProStaff scope (have to upgrade the "Remington" 3-9x32mm scope that comes with it... I have no idea who makes them but they're not nice..." and two Volquartsen parts for the 597.

Anyone who has Remington 597's who does not have these parts should seriously consider the upgrades.  Volquartsen is one of the finest companies in the business and own rimfire domination.  They make tons of stuff for the 10/22 but for the 597 it's more of a niche selection- an extractor and a hammer are the big upgrades.

The extractor on the 597 is one of the weak links . My 597 barely functioned before I replaced the extractor with the VQ "Exact Edge Extractor" and it REVOLUTIONIZED the gun.  The "Target Hammer" reduces the trigger pull by 50% and makes the squeezing of the trigger a joy, breaks perfectly and increases accuracy.  Both of these parts are very reasonable, around $20 for the extractor and $40 for the hammer.  If you have a 597 I HIGHLY recommend you look into these parts.

Hey thank you for your post- I am indeed familiar with the Tech Sights and have heard nothing but rave reviews for them.

I will mention them, I know me I am perfectly happy with the scope on my own 597... I got lucky, I have a pretty nice scope on it for a .22lr, I got a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm (which at the time was the highest ProStaff, now with the whole rebranding/re-marketing of Nikon, the ProStaff 5 series has all SORTS of scopes in the lineup) ... and it was like a $219.99 or $209.99 retail depending on where you shopped, I got it for ~$160.99 on sale ... Awesome.  And for my fathers new 597 HB, I am gifting him a new Nikon ProStaff 4x32mm ..  BUT I have to admit.  I am seeing some last -minute sales, and perhaps there will be after Christmas closeout sales, I may wind up saying, lets return the 4x and just splurge a little more and get something truly AWESOME for it, like the Buckmasters 6-18x42mm on closeout at MidwayUSA.  (The real reason I went with the ProStaff 4x32mm was my dad is the kind of guy who will appreciate it- no "messing around or having to @($# with it" i.e. , you know, adjust it lol, just zero and then look and shoot).

I had trouble with the link, how much were your Tech Sights and did you or a gunsmith install them?