RHS

Shore Shot vs. Brick Armory vs. Shooters

My SS membership is expiring and I thought I'd look around. It's always busy there but everyone is polite and professional.

Stopped by BA today (3:30/4:00) and it was empty. A nice young man, Kevin showed me around. He said most of their clientele is from the LEO community. Now that I think about it, I didn't see any rentals. I plan on driving down to Shooters soon check out the new facilities ( a longer but nicer ride)

I would welcome any of your thoughts on these facilities. Just picked a new Glock at Plumsted Arms last week and my finger is still twitching. :santaclaus:

I like BA better than SS.  SS may have more active RO's, but you ALWAYS have to wait for a lane, and at BA, you almost never have to wait, and they dont necessarily hold you to 1 hour (i've been there over an hour and a half without paying for another hour)..  and its larger inside the range and more places to stow your stuff..  i know some people dont like BA because a lot of new shooters go there and sometimes they dont "know" the rules of a range, but I have not really experienced that much of it.  I have seen a number of LEO's practicing there..

I've never been to shooters, its too far for me

I've been to SS twice. Once when I was looking for my first gun and then once after I had purchased it. While I can't say that either time was ever a bad experience, I never really got a warm and fuzzy feeling at the place. People seemed nice enough for the most part I guess, but like I said, just no warm and fuzzy for me.

I've shot several times now at BA and even took a beginners  handgun class there. Both my wife and I like it much better there.

I just wish they had more inventory. SS definitely has the advantage in that aspect.

Never been to shooters, but a buddy of mine said its a great place.

I've been to both SS and brick, a prefer SS.

A few reasons why: inventory at SS is by far better, handgun cases are full, rifle rack is full.

The range officers at SS are on top of newbies

Brick armory has almost no handgun stock. Their range is a bit nicer than SS and they do have storage area in the back, which is great.

Shore shot 225 yearly membership: pistol and AR can be used, must shoot frangible ammo, and must be brass cased

Brick was 350 for pistol and rifle, not sure of pistol only membership rates, and can shoot up to .30 cal no special frangible required.

The lack of inventory is the main reason I stay at SS

I like BA better than SS.  SS may have more active RO's, but you ALWAYS have to wait for a lane, and at BA, you almost never have to wait, and they dont necessarily hold you to 1 hour (i've been there over an hour and a half without paying for another hour)..  and its larger inside the range and more places to stow your stuff..  i know some people dont like BA because a lot of new shooters go there and sometimes they dont "know" the rules of a range, but I have not really experienced that much of it.  I have seen a number of LEO's practicing there..

I've never been to shooters, its too far for me

Used to go to BA, will never go again bc of the bolded text above.  In my last 3 range visits I was swiped each time, and on my last visit an urban gentleman had one of the 30rd glock mags loaded in his pistol waving it around showing his buddies.  Since BA does not have RO's in the range to police these sort of things I packed up my stuff and left immediately, never to return.  I mentioned it to the guy who rung me out for my range time and he did not seem moved by it.  

This is one of the things that convinced me to join CJRCP and I couldn't be happier with my choice.  

Used to go to BA, will never go again bc of the bolded text above.  In my last 3 range visits I was swiped each time, and on my last visit an urban gentleman had one of the 30rd glock mags loaded in his pistol waving it around showing his buddies.  Since BA does not have RO's in the range to police these sort of things I packed up my stuff and left immediately, never to return.  I mentioned it to the guy who rung me out for my range time and he did not seem moved by it.  

This is one of the things that convinced me to join CJRCP and I couldn't be happier with my choice.  

ideally, this would be the obvious choice..  however, the $850 initial year fee hold me back (in addition to a lack of long guns to utilize the facility at this time).. 

For reference, I believe the pistol/.22LR membership at BA is $250/year

Never been to shooters, but a buddy of mine said its a great place.

I've been to both SS and brick, a prefer SS.

A few reasons why: inventory at SS is by far better, handgun cases are full, rifle rack is full.

The range officers at SS are on top of newbies

Brick armory has almost no handgun stock. Their range is a bit nicer than SS and they do have storage area in the back, which is great.

Shore shot 225 yearly membership: pistol and AR can be used, must shoot frangible ammo, and must be brass cased

Brick was 350 for pistol and rifle, not sure of pistol only membership rates, and can shoot up to .30 cal no special frangible required.

The lack of inventory is the main reason I stay at SS

'

i was unaware of this. Everyone I have spoken to has told me you can't shoot rifles inside. Is it frangible only?

Haven't been swiped at BA yet but...A)Ive only been shooting there for 5 months....B)Im not really looking around for people doing it.

could be why i haven't seen it...scary though

Never shot at BA, bought a couple of guns from them long before they moved to their current location

Been to Shooters once, nice place, all new and shiny. RO was a young guy, BS'd with us for a couple of minutes ( let him throw a few rounds downrange with the .223 ), then he left us alone. Only thing that I could say bad was that I felt that the booths were a bit tight, worth it to be able to sight in a rifle with standard ammo though

Been shooting at SS for 18 years, have seen unsafe behavior and pointed it out, if it continued I alerted the RO and let them deal with it, safety is everyone's concern but it's their job

Hate that it's frangible only for .223 ( I know, how much fun is shooting a rifle at 25 yards ? Let me answer that, the look on a noobs face when they hear the sound and feel the concussion is priceless, wether they enjoyed it or were scared shitless ( for those touchy feely types who might think I come across as a masochist, I take the one's that were scared at first and leave them smiling )

'

i was unaware of this. Everyone I have spoken to has told me you can't shoot rifles inside. Is it frangible only?

Haven't been swiped at BA yet but...A)Ive only been shooting there for 5 months....B)Im not really looking around for people doing it.

could be why i haven't seen it...scary though

You can shoot shotguns there, only slugs, and up to .223/5.56, and yes it has to be frangible. They sell it for $18 for 20 rounds.

I will shoot pistol there, but never shoot my AR there unless I find a deal on frangible somewhere else.

Can you shoot steel case at BA?

Been to SS and BA. I do feel a little safer at SS as the RO do pay more attention to what's going on. I was at BA the week of Xmas and did not like what I was seeing. It was quite busy and we waited almost 30 mins before we saw range time. They crammed four of us on one station. There were alot of inexperienced shooters as I saw kids with their fingers on the trigger when they should not have been and an adult sweeping the area with a loaded shotgun. Did not feel safe there. RO was on site but no one really monitoring the action. I will probably go back to SS since I just wanted to see what the they both offered.

SS range officers do pay attention, but with a caveat...  I wasn't aware that they did not allow steel cased ammo, and after going through a magazine, the RO grabbed one of my casings and scolded me.  He said that steel/aluminum will definitely void my warranty on my Beretta 9mm and "likely" also lead to detonation in the barrel.

I called Beretta to confirm, and they said you can fire anything you want as long as it is boxed (no reloads).  So the consensus is that SS just doesn't want to bother sorting their brass for resale, so they make up BS stories.  I'd happily pick up my own casings and dump in regular trash rather than pay a hefty premium to put holes in paper with pure brass.

SS range officers do pay attention, but with a caveat...  I wasn't aware that they did not allow steel cased ammo, and after going through a magazine, the RO grabbed one of my casings and scolded me.  He said that steel/aluminum will definitely void my warranty on my Beretta 9mm and "likely" also lead to detonation in the barrel.

I called Beretta to confirm, and they said you can fire anything you want as long as it is boxed (no reloads).  So the consensus is that SS just doesn't want to bother sorting their brass for resale, so they make up BS stories.  I'd happily pick up my own casings and dump in regular trash rather than pay a hefty premium to put holes in paper with pure brass.

Doug seems to be a bit off the wall sometimes , but he's really a decent fellow

Didn't get a look at you , just heard the scolding

I've been to SS twice. Once when I was looking for my first gun and then once after I had purchased it. While I can't say that either time was ever a bad experience, I never really got a warm and fuzzy feeling at the place. People seemed nice enough for the most part I guess, but like I said, just no warm and fuzzy for me.

I've shot several times now at BA and even took a beginners  handgun class there. Both my wife and I like it much better there.

I just wish they had more inventory. SS definitely has the advantage in that aspect.

If you want the warm fuzzy feeling take a couple of percocets before you go :nyam:

About 2005-2006, Last time in SS, the bangers would come in by the carload. Sweeps, Double and triple taps. Billy and Kyle on duty, No R/O. Rent handguns and buy lots of ammo. To the tune of 1700.00 in green. I know the ammo walked out the door. I never went back. Join CJ.

Been to all three, Shooters is head and shoulders above the rest! Nice classroom area, and the range in actually divided into two rooms, so they can have classes and be seperate from other shooters. Super clean and well lit. BA and SS are cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Shooters is always warm enough for short sleeves, and it's air conditioned for the summer! They require people shooting there for the first time to watch a 10 min saftey video, which im actually happy to see them do, (been around some iffy people at public ranges.) Good prices for ammo and guns, and they have waay more in stock than BA and SS combined. They also have indoor archery range with a balcony for tree stand hunters. Huge archery/crossbow selection, lots of hunting, and Carharrt aparel, boots, and fishing gear. All within a 10 minute drive from my home in Manahawkin. The only complaint I have is that I'd like to see an area like BA has at the back wall for your gear etc.