AlexTheSane

Help me pick a car...

So I've been researching cars and I've narrowed it down to two.

2013/2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and 2013/2014 Dodge Journey

I've heard a lot of positive and a lot of negative about both cars.  What I'd like to hear is personal experience you've have with either of these cars.

If you have another suggestion my criteria are: New, up to $35k, AWD or 4x4, 7 passenger, not a full size SUV.

Sorry, I have a really good mechanic who used to work for Hyundai in Canada and he told me never to buy a Korean car...they are just not "there" yet. Dodge....Meh, although I do know a guy who owns a  Journey and he seems happy enough with it.

I had a Santa Fe as a rental for three weeks once and hated it. Had some little one once as a rental and traded it within 2 days...terrible little car. Uncomfortable, noisy, etc.

I can't tell you WHAT to buy, but I wouldn't buy those.

If you are going up to 35K you have choices. We've always had good luck with Yotas and Hondas. My wife just got a 2 year old loaded Nissan Frontier with 18K miles for about 24K. Civic is too small... hell, two years ago I bought a 2008 Silverado with 22K miles for 16.2K.  If you're looking for SUV/Crossover type there's a lot out there but your two choices would be low on my list.

I believe it's the same vehicle in a different suit, but look at the Kia Sorrento.

Also, the Subaru Forester gets pretty good reviews from Consumer Reports.

Subaru is the red headed step child of the Japanese cars. Never get the recognition they deserve. I have nothing bad to say about them and it seems most people who become Subaru owners stay Subaru owners.

Hyundai has come a long way I hear but they burned me one good.  They are off my list forever.  I have had a couple different chrysler products that where OK vehicles but always seemed to be in some state of dissrepair.  I have had teh best lick with ford fullsize trucks and GM compact trucks.  Subaru is another one that has never let me down. 

In defense of the dodge of your choosing, I do have a family member that owns one and he is happy with it.

Good Luck

Ken

I was totally set on the Santa Fe for a while but I really like the features of the Journey.  What is holding me back from the Journey is that I owned a brand new '99 Chrysler CIrrus that barely made it to 100k miles before having major problems.

Meanwhile my 2005 Kia Sportage made it to 180k miles without any issues.

Subaru is the red headed step child of the Japanese cars. Never get the recognition they deserve. I have nothing bad to say about them and it seems most people who become Subaru owners stay Subaru owners.

My issue with Subaru is their long term ownership cost. Seems most that come into my shop with over 100,000 miles just have too many issues compared to other brands that are deemed their equal...

I believe it's the same vehicle in a different suit, but look at the Kia Sorrento.

Also, the Subaru Forester gets pretty good reviews from Consumer Reports.

Absolutely love my Subaru. However, they really won't meet his 7 seat requirement. The only Subaru that does is the Tribeca, and that (finally) is going to be gone (besides, the seating set up was a wacky 5 + 2 kind of deal).

Absolutely love my Subaru. However, they really won't meet his 7 seat requirement. The only Subaru that does is the Tribeca, and that (finally) is going to be gone (besides, the seating set up was a wacky 5 + 2 kind of deal).

I was just looking at the Tribeca and while the third row technically has seats, it appears they forgot to make room for people with legs.

I have been in the used car business for over 20 years. I get to see and drive (and fix) everything after it's been on the road a couple of years. I personally wouldn't buy a Chrysler product.

X2 for the comment above.  Had a pair of 2004 Durangos - now down to one.  Ditched the first one last year because it was rapidly becoming a rust-bucket...rusting thru from the INSIDE.  Now having similar rust problems PLUS electrical issues with the one I kept.  I had to hot-wire the power windows to make 'em work this spring; now I have stuff clicking and clacking under the hood, running the battery down.  

The Durango's were good tow vehicles, but construction-wise; they're a piece of crap.  I won't buy another Chrysler, either.

I currently drive an 08 Hyundai and they have really made a name for themselves over the past few years. Other than routine maintenance I have not had any other mechanical issues.  While I really like my Hyundai (handles phenomenal in the snow) and it gets good MPGs I may not buy another one as I have been eying up Chevy Tahoe's recently but the Hyundai was a really good choice for me and I don't regret buying one.

I've had two jeep grand cherokee' sand I feel the only other SUV that could match it is the ford explorer.

I would ditch both options and go for the explorer. Price is a concern though. Think they might be over 35k. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Alex,

What you want (a 7 passenger SUV for under $35K) really doesn't exist....at least one with a great reputation that isn't going to fall apart.  I've leased Ford Expeditions.  THAT'S a REAL 7-passenger SUV!  Leased Ford Explorers too!  Visited a Ford Dealer a few months ago and saw the new Explorer.  Around $45-$50K with leather and Nav system.  And most Dealers order them with "the works", so even finding one with cloth seats (a stripper) is going to be a challenge.  And around $38-$40K.......

If you compromise somewhat, for around $37-$38K, your next ride could be an Audi Certified Pre-Owned Q-5 with a 100K mi. warranty.  There's a 2012 with less than 14K mi. on it sitting at Bell Audi in Edison.  It's on their web site under CPO Vehicles.  You might want to check it out?  I've sat in one.  When you close the car door you get an old-time Cadillac "thud" instead of the tinny ring from a light-weight SUV.  My son just bought a CPO Audi S4 as his first "new car".  That's how I know a little about the brand.  I visited several Dealerships and asked loads of questions.  In chatting with salesmen at Bell Audi, I found-out they drive loaners up to as far as Massachusetts to drop them off and drive the customer's vehicle back for routine service.  Sounds CRAZY I know, but THAT'S "customer service".

All that being said, we own a 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5 with almost 70K miles on it.  A GREAT 5-passenger vehicle with LOADS of rear-seat leg room (has more leg room than my Mercury Grand Marquis).  We LOVE the Subaru, it goes everywhere.  But there's no cappuccino machine and free snacks and soft leather couches in the Dealer's Service waiting area to sit on while you're sipping your cappuccino, lol!

When buying a vehicle you have to look at all aspects.  Cost to drive it, insurance (crash safety has as much to do with this as price tag, they tend to balance each other out), rental expense when car is in the shop (Audi CPO's get you a FREE LOANER, which is where they get half their CPO's FROM).  In other words, TOTAL ownership experience.

May you be blessed with the most safest ownership experience you can possibly have no matter which vehicle you choose.

Merry Christmas!

Dave

(And I don't work for or own an Audi--I was just so impressed by them as I was helping my son to find one).

i know it doesnt meet the 7 seat criteria but if you dont absolutely need it i say check out the forester. Ive got a 14 forester  the things great. so comfortable great on gas, the awd is there and its cheap. I never had a Subaru before, but i think ill always have one now.

Not knocking Dave's Audi suggestion, but one thing you may want to take into account when considering a "high end" vehicle. Maintenance costs.

I'm on my 2nd Lexus RX CPO. While still under the CPO warranty I went in to have both headlight assemblies replaced for condensation. One of the lights, the low beam stopped working.

These are the xenon AFS lights (they move when the vehicle turns).

The dealer tells me they're not covered under CPO, one of the few things that aren't, only covered under original warranty. They have a lot of problems with this.

Lexus won't replace just the leaky case, but the entire unit. Both units installed after tax, they want $4k.

Ridiculous. I got a case and had a body shop replace the worse one.

Will be getting rid of this soon and will never by a Toyota product again.

There is a class action suit in progress right now.

So take that into consideration if you look at the Audi.

I was just looking at the Tribeca and while the third row technically has seats, it appears they forgot to make room for people with legs.

I think your criteria of needing seating for 7 while not being a full size SUV is really going to limit your options.

(If you decide to go bigger) my vote is a CPO 2010 and on Toyota Sequioa...love mine..its been very solid for me so far..it can carry 8 comfortably and you should be able to find one under 35k..i think it also was just recently rated as one of the highest resale value retaining vehicles on the road

The new Mazda CX series are nice now that they have just redesigned them.

I'm loving my new Mazda 3 hatchback.  Seriously loving it.  It's the 8th (I think) car I've owned and it's miles better than anything else I've ever had.  My best friend bought a CX5 based substantially off my experience with my car and he's loving his CX5 as well.  I've driven it several times and feel the same.  I'm actually on the verge of selling my hatch and buying a CX5 as well.  AWD SUV with 36MPG?  Yes please!

Owned two Dodges, never again. Always something to be fixed, or replaced.  Moved to Hyundai.  Have an 05 elantra, 07 sonata, and a 08 elantra.  The elantras are rock solid.  The 05 is pushing 160K, body in great shape, still runs great, nothing but normal maintenance.  The 08 has 50K, and also runs great.  The 07 has 75K and has had a few problems I feel should not be there.  Motor is awesome, but it loves rear brakes. Eats them like candy.  This last time I actually had a friend who runs his own shop tell me that Hyundai knows of the problem, but will not address it.  He provided me a work around that seems to work fine.  Has to do with corrosion and poor fitting parts.  Other than that, I would say they are just as good as every other rust bucket.

There are two types of cars.  Those that are broke down, and those that are about to!

Besides the obvious reasons for the range rover not be said, they are pieces of crap.

Ask anybody who has owned one or has dealt with them. They look great but that's about it

Also, the OP has the option to order a SUV from ford.