karlkurtz32

Co-witness: absolute vs lower 1/3

Lower 1/3 without a doubt.

It's a more comfortable and less fatiguing head position, and I like a standard FSB over a flip up style, so the higher optic allows me to have a clearer field of vision.

D8F628A7-CD76-4594-AB26-DCFB913CFE57-120

Also, it might just be me, but even when my optic goes down, I know where my front sight needs to be in the window for emergency hits at close quarters.

It ain't just you. That is a viable TTP and one that is taught regularly to those doing CQB. Some guys even paint a GITD/Hi Vis stripe on their FSB to help center everything.

I know I regularly train on that technique with single head shots out to 10 yards, multiple COM shots rapidly out to 15.

It ain't just you. That is a viable TTP and one that is taught regularly to those doing CQB. Some guys even paint a GITD/Hi Vis stripe on their FSB to help center everything.

I know I regularly train on that technique with single head shots out to 10 yards, multiple COM shots rapidly out to 15.

Thats a neat thought. Maybe I'll try that.

Agree on the lower 1/3. If you are inquiring based on your tavor purchase one benefit of that rifle is that the sights fold down so either would work for you.

I have a a folding front sight on my 16" AR, I always keep it up now. I can see it being a pita if I needed it and it was down. With the lower 1/3 I don't even notice my sight with or without my magnifier

Just my .02

Depends on the optic. Full size like an M3/4 lower 1/3. But if its a T1 Micro, I prefer true cowitt.

+1 on the micro.  I prefer full cowitness in general, but lower 1/3 doesn't bother me on sights with more tube/window. On the micro or other narrow tube dot, it never really gets out of your way anyway, sooo... 

I like the lower 1/3 on my AR. My AR has a normal front sight and I feel like the sight is in the way with the true co-witness. If I had flip-up front and rear sights then I probably wouldn't care.

Depends on the optic. Full size like an M3/4 lower 1/3. But if its a T1 Micro, I prefer true cowitt.

+1 on the micro. I prefer full cowitness in general, but lower 1/3 doesn't bother me on sights with more tube/window. On the micro or other narrow tube dot, it never really gets out of your way anyway, sooo...

Interesting. I am the exact opposite.

With the smaller diameter of the T1 tube, I will always use a lower 1/3 cowitness as it leaves more of the smaller "window" clear to find the dot and obtain a decent sight picture.

With larger "tubes" like an Aimpoint PRO or M4/M4A or even an EOTech (yuck) I can deal with a lower cowitness (anywhere from absolute to lower 1/3 - even the in-between height that the PRO OEM mount offers) as there is more "window" and any object interfering takes up a smaller percentage of what I can see through the tube.

I also find it more fatiguing looking through that smaller tube of a T1 at absolute cowitness height. I find the larger tube optics to be more accommodating there as well, requiring less "Turtling" and offering more forgiveness with a quick or sloppy mount while acquiring the dot from a low or indoor ready position.

ETA: Either way, I prefer a lower 1/3 co witness with all RDS type optics regardless of the tube size; although if pressed I will begrudgingly accept an absolute cowitness with the larger optics if I have to.

Edited by High Exposure

I should add for clarity that with full size aimpoints my front and rear are fixed, with a micro my rear is folding.

Good point for relevance: I have fixed front (std FSB) and folding rear on all of my ARs.

With a std FSB and a T1 in a LT660 and a std FSB and a PRO. I have been using fixed rear sights.

Why the folding rear buis on the T1 guys?  (Just curious, not attacking)

Real estate. Less real estate in a T1 so I dont want obstructions. In addition I think its not to bad for a com shot using the t1 as a rear ghost ring if I had to. With the M3/4 I have enough real estate that the obstruction doesnt bother me at all. No right or wrong IMO, just preference. The fact of the matter is that for all the years I have been a proponent for the aimpoint, my aging eyes are disagreeing with my position so Im running a S&B short dot on my primary rifle at this time.