le_boudin

Lead bullets - kaput...

The lead for bullets, for the most part is all from recycled batteries, not from first run lead from that smelter that is closing.

Lead acid batteries aren't going away, they will simply be built in Asia or Mexico or somewhere with no pollution controls.

The same batteries will be recycled and the lead will be used to make bullets. 

It's stupid, and a load of BS. 

1) Most lead for everything but batteries comes from recycled lead, and when I say most, I mean the VAST majority. 

2) We aren't shutting down lead recycling. 

3) We aren't banning the import of already smelted lead. 

Lead ammo isn't banned anywhere I am aware of across the board. Where it is banned, it is banned for hunting. Quite possibly given the BS nature of the article, only for specific kinds of hunting. Guess what, NJ would be one of those places. Clearly we can't get lead ammo here and aren't allowed to shoot it for recreational purposes.. what? That's not true.. damn!. Lead shot is banned for hunting waterfowl lots of places, and is likely what they are referring to. For hunting, with the limited rounds expended, evne places that ban lead rifle ammo, it's not like solid copper, or copper with compressed tungsten powder rounds are prohibitively expensive for the task. 

I reported the same on another website, and I was called out on it. The closing of that plant is not the end of lead in the US. Read on...

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/sierra-responds-how-will-the-closure-of-the-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/

this has nothing to do with the closing of the plant if you read the article in completeness. They only reference the closing of thew plant. It is something else entirely

YES we are all aware that the closing of Doe Run will not effect prices and production.

How does cast 223 shoot?

Truth is, I've never reloaded or cast for that matter. I inherited everything I need to do both and I just haven't gotten into. Done a lot of reading and that's it.

I've read that a lot of rifle bullets can't be cast well. Slow stuff like 30-30 works well, and more modern bullets may cause excessive leading at a standard speed.

So yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about. I'd like to cast 38, 45, 30 carb, and maybe one or two others. I shoot a lot of cast 38 and 45 ACP SWC's, my dad's 1911 likes them.