Usul271

CZ 75 - Full-Size v Compact - Anyone in SJ willing to let me try out their CZ pistol?

Hi,

I've heard almost nothing but good about CZ pistols, and I'm looking to get my mitts on one. I'm debating between the full-size and compact models. Specifically, I'm looking at the CZ 75, SP-01, and various compact models, including the P-01 and 75 compact. 

Does anyone have a full-size, compact or both? I'd really like to get hands-on with these pistols before I make a decision. I'm also more than open to listening to your advice and pro/con assessment of both frames.

Thanks! 

I have a P01. It is an aluminum frame compact with a small rail. It's a great shooter. The trigger has more creep than I like, but that is the case with all CZ's that don't have a competition hammer. I have owned full size CZs (CZ 85 Combat) and other compacts (CZ 75 Compact, P07). I decided I didn't need a full size gun in a low recoiling caliber like 9mm. I think my favorite of all was the CZ 75 Compact. Steel frame, thumb safety instead of decocker and another great shooter, I would offer to let you shoot my gun, but I have a newborn and have no.idea when I will be out to shoot again. 2 months and counting.

Lunker,

Thanks for all the great info. One of my friends recently had his first kid, so I can understanding not knowing your schedule. I'm still torn between the full-size and compact. CZ-Custom has a SP-01 Shadow and a Shadow Compact, and I'm drooling over both.

I have two full sized CZ-75B's and love them (see pictures below).  I'm in Morris County though, but if you are up this way you can try them.  Since we live in No Carry NJ I see no reason to get anything but a full size gun.  The matte stainless one is stock, the black one has competition hammer and sights and VZ grips.

Both have safeties not decockers.  While I have a 92FS I really don't like decockers and much prefer as safety as you can shoot it in more divisions for both IDPA and USPSA.

Howard, 

I think I have to agree with your on this one. My mom's Sig P229 has a decocker, and for a range toy I really don't see the need for a decocker and I would really prefer a manual safety.

Looks like I'm going in for one CZ SP-01 Shadow folks! I'll be sure to post some pictures once I get this bad boy.

Edit: Now that I found out I could have the magazines pinned, I'm considering a matte SS CZ 75b since I like the stainless look and probably wouldn't use the rail on the SP-01 anyway. Thoughts?

The only other consideration in full size vs compact CZ is that 15 rnd mags for the full size are difficult to find these days. The compacts come stock with nj friendly 14 rnd mags. I echo lunker, check out the CZ 75b Compact (not P-01 or PCR). The all steel frame makes it handle like the full sized 75b in a more compact package.

njluger,

I hear you, and that fact has certainly entered my consideration. This decision becomes more difficult with every reply! However, I can get the 10 rounders easily and as a range gun I don't think I would miss the extra 4-5 rounds. If necessary I could always get the stock mags shipped to my FFL and have them pinned. 

I will admit I was very attracted to the compact, but as howard said, being that it will never be a carry firearm, there's little reason (other than standard 14 rd mags) to get the compact. Thanks for your input. 

I'm trying to decide if I want the 75b in matte stainless or the SP-01 Shadow with its extra functional improvements (e.g., trigger, hammer, night sights, etc.)

The only other consideration in full size vs compact CZ is that 15 rnd mags for the full size are difficult to find these days. The compacts come stock with nj friendly 14 rnd mags. I echo lunker, check out the CZ 75b Compact (not P-01 or PCR). The all steel frame makes it handle like the full sized 75b in a more compact package.

Yup, the full size comes with 16rd mags - but they can be pinned.  I bought some at RTSP already pinned at the member price of about $34.  Natchessz has (or had) Promag for $17.  I was warned that the guns won't lock back on empty with them - but I figured for that price I would try a pair.  Both guns lock back just fine with them and I have had no issues at all with them.  Sure they are a little thinner metal, but to have a bunch for steel matches they were a good buy.

PS - the 10 round mags are more expensive than the 16 pinned.

Glad you caught that lunker!

I read all the Dune books (even the prequels and sequels to the original series) in my teens. I've always loved those stories and always will.

I read Dune and started Dune Messiah but never finished. Good stories.

PM me if you get out here in NW Jersey, I'm sure you could get to try my SP-01 and I know a guy who would bring a 75B along as well. By the way, nice problem to have, you win no matter what you do.

I'm in Atlantic county as well. I'm a member over at South Jersey Shooting Club. I just ordered a SP-01 shadow. Funny, I had bought an EAA witness elite match from Bud's but they won't ship unless the gun is state legal from the factory. The EAA compact and Canik55 compact both look pretty sweet, but I wanted a full-fledged CZ for my first CZ style pistol

Thanks I'm really excited about it. I tried out a bunch of my buddy's guns yesterday, Springfield XD, Glock 19, M&P compact, Sig P229. All were nice but I then I shot my 1911 and knew I wanted an all-steel full-frame 9mm. The SP-01 shadow was available on CZ Custom and looks super badass. Like I said, I'll come back and throw some glamor shots up when once it comes in!