gleninjersey

Good Entry Level "Off The Shelf" Buy

I know very little about rifles but am interested in purchasing an AR15 style rifle next year.  I'm not going to build.  I want to buy "off the shelf".  I'm looking for a SHTF type rifle that will be an accurate shooter that will probably live out it's life as a range toy but, God forbid, if the SHTF I can count on.

I'm more concerned about reliablity and being able to easily upgrade slowly than having the "latest and greatest".  I'm a "Ruger" or "Chevy" kind of guy rather than a $2k 1911 or BMW kind of person. 

I've been doing a little reading but the more I read the more confusing things seem to get.  So what rifles would you recommend that I can put on my list?  I would like to keep the cost around $750 -$1k but am willing to go slightly higher if I can understand/justify it. 

If I had to sum up what I'm looking for in a nutshell it would be the "Ruger GP100 of AR15s".

The 2 ARs I have shot were a self build that was a mid-length gas system with a "goverment profile" barrel that was 14.5 inches long with a 2.75 muzzle break.  The other was a friend's Daniel Defense M4V3.  Both were very nice and impressive guns.

Thanks in advance for your input and opinions.

If your looking to use it alot and as a possible SHTF gun, your going to want to be familiar with the gun. Better off building that way you know the gun and how it works, plus its just more satisfying. PSA is always running great deals, you can build a gun from them for $500-$750 that would cost you around $1k pre built.

I went with an M&P from one of the vendors on this board who was great and I couldn't be happier. Now I'm starting to research the parts so I can build one they way I want it. My thinking was if I bought it complete and starting enjoying it right away I could learn about my future choice in parts and it worked out perfect for me. So now building one will be a more thought out process.

I went with an M&P from one of the vendors on this board who was great and I couldn't be happier. Now I'm starting to research the parts so I can build one they way I want it. My thinking was if I bought it complete and starting enjoying it right away I could learn about my future choice in parts and it worked out perfect for me. So now building one will be a more thought out process.

I couldn't agree more. With all due respect to those who counciled me to build my own right from scratch, for me having the gun to use and play with while checking out additions and alterations worked best. I have since added a Geiselle trigger and changed the stock to a Magpul CTR and added a scope with a quick release mount while having a gun to shoot as is for now.  

I am reading and mulling in the meantime and planning a gradual upper build that will be a whole different purpose gun on the same lower, so i'll have an all around, which I have now, with a competition/designated marksman type upper that can go on in less than a minute. 

You need to listen to both sides of the argument, and see what suits you best. Either way you can't go wrong IMO.

another vote for Stag.. Solid and nothing but reliable at a good price

Don't be initimidated by building. In my opiniom it's the way to go. Build it the way you want it.

Not really intimidated....okay, okay...slightly intimidated...but for my 1st one (I hope to God my wife doesn't see that) I want something  I know is good to go when I bring it home.  That way I know it is ready and I can get get used to it over the next year or so and then build one if I want to/feel I need to later on.

Not really intimidated....okay, okay...slightly intimidated...but for my 1st one (I hope to God my wife doesn't see that) I want something  I know is good to go when I bring it home.  That way I know it is ready and I can get get used to it over the next year or so and then build one if I want to/feel I need to later on.

building one is better for 'gtg' cause you get the parts you want and can make sure it's all higher end or stuff that will work.  you pay for assembly etc when you buy and building, you control quality...

There's a lot of opinions out there on which is better building or buying. Both answers are correct. I personally bought mine because I wanted to shoot right away while I researched and for me it's working out exactly as planned. After field stripping this one I've seen first hand just how easy a build will be.The "build it" option would have been my choice if I knew I could only have one because in the end I would have exactly what I wanted. Another reason I bought one first is now when I build the rifle I want I have a spare to let people use if they go to the range with me. Also when I'm finished I'll have one with a upgraded optic of some kind. I just picked up a 15/22 added a cheap utg scope and enjoy shooting that too. More choices is always better.

for all of you saying you wanted to "shoot it right away" how many weeks do you think it takes to build an AR?

give me your credit card.. I'll order the parts swing by and we can put it together and have you on the range early enough to still make dinner... 

you are not taking part in some intense physics problem that has confused man for all of his existence... you are banging some pins in a hole.. lol it seriously takes a few hours to build an AR from scratch (assuming you have no idea what you are doing)

Just for reference I built my own lower (from a standard lpk) and got a Complete upper for first time (didn't have a vice, torque wrench etc). Ditched the grip, charging handle, hand guards, and still want to replace a bunch of things. Wasted a couple hundred there.

The second, I got a better lpk with an upgraded trigger, trigger guard, and grip included. The upper I got from bcm exactly the way I wanted it (EAG HS model, magpul HG, sling attach, bcn CH, rear sight +extras included) and made basically no mods to it.

My third will be my first venture into building a gun from scratch I think. (Maybe an ar10).

Parts are simple and go together fairly easily. Also easy to replace (plus you already know how to assemble it)

If youre like most of us, building as much as possible will remove the cost of factory assembly, and a bunch of extra parts that youll be tossing in a parts bin after you dump money into an upgrade.

People always say build so you get the rifle you want. But I think if he knew exactly what he wanted, he wouldn't be asking what to buy in the first place.

that is why you read research and ask questions.. there are a million AR15 parts... tell people what you want and guidance becomes simple.. 

If anyone knows glennfromjersey, they know his wife would kill him if he did a build. Hes got enough trouble getting permission to buy something and go to the range already...LOL J/K pal.

It seems he wants to buy a prebuilt to familiarize himself with the platform, then build after learning the ins and outs. you gotta crawl before you walk, baby steps..

I don't blame him hes new to all this stuff and its a lot to learn.

IMO building one is the way to go. To me, it's important to understand how things work. This is the best way. It is super easy to do also. I put my lower together sitting on the couch while watching Monday night football.

good luck!

Just for reference I built my own lower (from a standard lpk) and got a Complete upper for first time (didn't have a vice, torque wrench etc). Ditched the grip, charging handle, hand guards, and still want to replace a bunch of things. Wasted a couple hundred there.

The second, I got a better lpk with an upgraded trigger, trigger guard, and grip included. The upper I got from bcm exactly the way I wanted it (EAG HS model, magpul HG, sling attach, bcn CH, rear sight +extras included) and made basically no mods to it.

My third will be my first venture into building a gun from scratch I think. (Maybe an ar10).

Parts are simple and go together fairly easily. Also easy to replace (plus you already know how to assemble it)

If youre like most of us, building as much as possible will remove the cost of factory assembly, and a bunch of extra parts that youll be tossing in a parts bin after you dump money into an upgrade.

I understood about half of that...  :) ...no really, half!

People always say build so you get the rifle you want. But I think if he knew exactly what he wanted, he wouldn't be asking what to buy in the first place.

Pretty much

that is why you read research and ask questions.. there are a million AR15 parts... tell people what you want and guidance becomes simple.. 

I need to go to a bar with you, buy you a beer or 3 and take some notes b/c it seems you are the AR Wiz...not really sure what I want yet.  As I said, seems the more I read the more confusing it gets.  I "think" what I want is a 14-16 inch barrel with a government profile, a chrome lined upper, with some kind of rail system so I can eventually put a sight on it.  I hope that made sense....Also, I want it all from one manufacture so if something goes wrong I'm only dealing with one place. 

I'll do some more reading and video watching this weekend.....I'm serious about the beer & notes.  Let me know when you have some time.  I'm not dead set against a build but for me purchasing may just be an easier way to ease into it.

If anyone knows glennfromjersey, they know his wife would kill him if he did a build. Hes got enough trouble getting permission to buy something and go to the range already...LOL J/K pal.

It seems he wants to buy a prebuilt to familiarize himself with the platform, then build after learning the ins and outs. you gotta crawl before you walk, baby steps..

I don't blame him hes new to all this stuff and its a lot to learn.

LOL....actually she is pretty cool with it.  This time last year she still didn't want any guns in the house....now I have 2 handguns (GP100 & CZ75), will be getting my Mossie 500 soon and next year (hopefully around March/April) an AR15.  Talk about jumping into the deep end!

Oh, okay! That I understand. LOL.

Haha there are tons of people in here that won't mind letting you lot their stuff to get acclimated and test out some gear, myself included. I know how it is when you get the itch to buy a new gun and want to shoot it right away but patience here can save you money towards more ammo :)