gleninjersey

Good Entry Level "Off The Shelf" Buy

its right on 31 just past Hot-rods hotdogs and the liqueur store. Its the truck repair place on left.

i had to go up there for a court case (small claims court for tenant who left owing me money).  On drive up I was keeping half an eye open and must have drove right past past.  On way home I was looking for it....and drove right past it!  I'll find it soon!

No shit. I haven't seen a bad review yet. My purchase was based on research and actually firing one.

I've fired a few and they've all had issues. That was the only reason I fired them in the first place. Helping people at the range troubleshooting issues. I've been left less than impressed with their product.

That's because yours never has.

Arfcom is the worst. There may be a decent thread there occasionally and they have a decent "reference" section - their "how to AR" section is very good - but on the whole I have seen more bad info and Internet commando bullying there than I care to remember. No argument here about M4C. They are even worse.

huh?  you know my history before going back to school and onto wall street?  

yes on arfcom and m4c....spot on

Generally speaking, the guys that use the, 'if your life depended on it' are the guys citing internet commando rules and nonsense.  Simple truth is that many AR, higher end to lower end, will function just fine provided they are maintained and properly vetted. 

I've fired a few and they've all had issues. That was the only reason I fired them in the first place. Helping people at the range troubleshooting issues. I've been left less than impressed with their product.

I don't know much about them other than threads I've read but by and large, the ones I have, reviews seem to be good.  I don't think I've even seen one used at various ranges.

Just for sheetz and giggles check out the two you tube videos for torture testing a Daniel Defense AR-15, especially part two. Amazing what some of these guns can go through and come up firing.

Just curious... What kind of issues? As I said before, 1200 rounds and mine has been rock solid.

I understood about half of that... :) ...no really, half!

Pretty much

I need to go to a bar with you, buy you a beer or 3 and take some notes b/c it seems you are the AR Wiz...not really sure what I want yet. As I said, seems the more I read the more confusing it gets. I "think" what I want is a 14-16 inch barrel with a government profile, a chrome lined upper, with some kind of rail system so I can eventually put a sight on it. I hope that made sense....Also, I want it all from one manufacture so if something goes wrong I'm only dealing with one place.

I'll do some more reading and video watching this weekend.....I'm serious about the beer & notes. Let me know when you have some time. I'm not dead set against a build but for me purchasing may just be an easier way to ease into it.

LOL....actually she is pretty cool with it. This time last year she still didn't want any guns in the house....now I have 2 handguns (GP100 & CZ75), will be getting my Mossie 500 soon and next year (hopefully around March/April) an AR15. Talk about jumping into the deep end!

If you're going to build, my advice would be to forget the beer and note taking, and go to the range with someone who has an AR or two, and shoot them. Find out what works for you before you build.

AR's are easy to build and customize to your particular tastes, but if you're going to 'build the rifle you want', it helps to know if what you want IS actually what you want....follow me?

If you're in SNJ, I am a member of SJSC and would be happy to allow you to try mine to get some ideas.

I'm going to Flynn's on Monday to check on a gun I have on order. Want to follow me there? It'll be after a session at Heritage so sometime late morning.

What time you think you'll be there (at Flynn's)? I'll see if I can make it out to Heeitage as well. Want to try out the tactical range!

If you're going to build, my advice would be to forget the beer and note taking, and go to the range with someone who has an AR or two, and shoot them. Find out what works for you before you build.

AR's are easy to build and customize to your particular tastes, but if you're going to 'build the rifle you want', it helps to know if what you want IS actually what you want....follow me?

If you're in SNJ, I am a member of SJSC and would be happy to allow you to try mine to get some ideas.

Thanks, it is going to be a slow build. I've shot 2 so far but I may take you up on your offer. Where is SJSC?

I usually try to get there around 9:00-9:30 as I did today. Shot 3 semis and my revolver and left around noon. Probably going back Saturday and might sight my Aimpoint Pro. If not on Saturday I'll sight it in Monday before you get there. I'll be on a 25 yard port. Ask for Seymour when you check in. How many ports should I try to get for 10:00am?

Since I was new to the AR platform and knew nothing about them, a co-worker recommended that I get the S&W M&P15FT as my first AR. I did and I love it. It does everthing I need it to do right now. After being here for awhile, and if I decide to get another AR, I may decide to build my own. But as a "newbie" I had no idea on what parts were good or junk.

Since I was new to the AR platform and knew nothing about them, a co-worker recommended that I get the S&W M&P15FT as my first AR. I did and I love it. It does everthing I need it to do right now. After being here for awhile, and if I decide to get another AR, I may decide to build my own. But as a "newbie" I had no idea on what parts were good or junk.

Just ask...

Between 6 or 7 people here we have probably had hands on most parts you could ask about... And even if we haven't most of us are familiar enough with the companies to speak to the quality...

I usually try to get there around 9:00-9:30 as I did today. Shot 3 semis and my revolver and left around noon. Probably going back Saturday and might sight my Aimpoint Pro. If not on Saturday I'll sight it in Monday before you get there. I'll be on a 25 yard port. Ask for Seymour when you check in. How many ports should I try to get for 10:00am?

Put me down for one.

I don't usually. I am a member of SCFGPA in Bridgewater. I'm working Monday though.

That's practially my backward....but they have a freeze on new memberships I hear.  If you can guest me in I would love to met up and try it out.  Weekends are usually best for me.  I just happened to have some vaca time left and used it Monday & Tuesday.

Very good info in this thread. As i don't know much about higher end AR's it gave me a bigger perspective and inticed me to read more on Daniel Defense,BCM and such.

I think also i have to learn to use "quality and durability" instead of "fit and finish" :)