gleninjersey

Good Entry Level "Off The Shelf" Buy

Ok all this talk I'm in! Looking around I found an Anderson lower for 49. Anyone heard any issues with them. Not cheapin out if there not good I'll go with a different one but I decided to start ordering parts and that's what I found this morning. Next will be the trigger and that ones gonna hurt a little. After the holidays I'll start looking for upper parts or possibly a complete upper if I can find exactly what I want otherwise my only concern will be buying a few tools to assemble that. Head spacing is the only part I'm unsure of there. This thread wound up being a great build motivator!

older bushmasters are ok, I'd of just bought another gun with what you spent to replace all these parts

also, the 1/9 isn't bad at all unless you plan on using alot of higher grain bullets.  You'll probably mostly use 55 or 62gr so that does't make a whole lot of sense to me besides, those older bushy barrels are plenty accurate

no excuse for the gas keys though.....

My experience and that of HE demonstrate that 'older' Bushmasters are not 'OK'. I bought my XM15 about 20 years ago. I'd bet HE did as well.

If everything on my gun broke all at once I would have sent it back to Bushy and asked "WTF guys"?

That's not how it went. The parts breakage occurred over time. Each time something broke, I figured "OK, this has to be IT for this gun, right? What else can go wrong?" Getting the thing to run reliably became a challenge and a learning experience.

When I decided I wanted a few more guns I DID buy something else! Thank God for the intarwebz and LIGHTFIGHTER.net, lol!! 

First I bought a complete lower from Bravo Company Manufacturing. That gun got a BCM BFH 14.5" middy upper with a pinned BattleComp 1.5 and a LaRue handguard.

Later, for the other 2 guns, I decided I wanted to snap my own lowers together. I bought Spikes lowers because BCM does not sell stripped lowers. The parts in those two lowers are from BCM, except the FCG's. All of my guns have Geissele SD3G's in them.

Upper #3 - on my first Spikes lower - is also from BCM. It's a Lightweight 14.5" BFH middy with a pinned BattleComp 1.5 and a PRI carbon fiber handguard (sorry HE, lol).

The fourth upper will be from BCM too - as soon as they get their KeyMod stuff out. This will be a 18" SS410 barreled upper.

That old Bushy gun will likely get a completely new upper this summer. I'm looking forward to BCM's Enhanced Lightweight barrels in combination with their KeyMod handguard.

Yes, I want to have the ability to accurately run heavy bullets through all of my guns. The 1/9 twist is not optimal.

The point is, I learned my lesson. AR's are not all the same. I no longer shop for "the cheapest" or "pretty decent" stuff.

I look for top quality parts and then look for a good deal on those parts from sellers with great reps. My life is worth it.

You want a rifle that will run and will last, look for guns that are built to the TDP or exceed them. BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense, these are names you can trust. S&W is the only carbine that I would consider that isn't truly built to mil-spec. Be an informed consumer so you aren't disappointed.

If only I knew then what I know now or had a place like this to learn before buying...

Exactly correct.

I'll throw this into the discussion ...

For someone new to guns in general, I'd recommend buying a complete gun. This way, if something goes wrong you have a warranty and some recourse. 

Snapping a gun together is certainly fun and a great learning experience. The AR system is simple too.

On the other hand, there's no warranty on a malfunctioning parts gun. Getting something like that to run could be frustrating for a newby. Just something to consider gang.

My experience and that of HE demonstrate that 'older' Bushmasters are not 'OK'. I bought my XM15 about 20 years ago. I'd bet HE did as well.

If everything on my gun broke all at once I would have sent it back to Bushy and asked "WTF guys"?

That's not how it went. The parts breakage occurred over time. Each time something broke, I figured "OK, this has to be IT for this gun, right? What else can go wrong?" Getting the thing to run reliably became a challenge and a learning experience.

When I decided I wanted a few more guns I DID buy something else! Thank God for the intarwebz and LIGHTFIGHTER.net, lol!! 

First I bought a complete lower from Bravo Company Manufacturing. That gun got a BCM BFH 14.5" middy upper with a pinned BattleComp 1.5 and a LaRue handguard.

Later, for the other 2 guns, I decided I wanted to snap my own lowers together. I bought Spikes lowers because BCM does not sell stripped lowers. The parts in those two lowers are from BCM, except the FCG's. All of my guns have Geissele SD3G's in them.

Upper #3 - on my first Spikes lower - is also from BCM. It's a Lightweight 14.5" BFH middy with a pinned BattleComp 1.5 and a PRI carbon fiber handguard (sorry HE, lol).

The fourth upper will be from BCM too - as soon as they get their KeyMod stuff out. This will be a 18" SS410 barreled upper.

That old Bushy gun will likely get a completely new upper this summer. I'm looking forward to BCM's Enhanced Lightweight barrels in combination with their KeyMod handguard.

Yes, I want to have the ability to accurately run heavy bullets through all of my guns. The 1/9 twist is not optimal.

The point is, I learned my lesson. AR's are not all the same. I no longer shop for "the cheapest" or "pretty decent" stuff.

I look for top quality parts and then look for a good deal on those parts from sellers with great reps. My life is worth it.

?  so your only research is here?  there a 20 page threads on arfcom with older vs new bushmasters and the concensus is that older bushmasters are accurate, reliable and well made....absolutely no contest there my friend.

all the rest, good for you but this statement, 'my life is worth it'.....please tell me you are not one of those guys.  Our boys are being shot up overseas with guns made in back alleys out of freakin soda cans so let's not let hysterical notions of 'my life depends on it' get in the way of modern machining and materials and 21st production standards.  People need a little back from the ledge of 'my life depends on it' perspective sometimes.

I have a bcm, great gun and decent accuracy.  I love it and their products so good choice! 

?  so your only research is here?  there a 20 page threads on arfcom with older vs new bushmasters and the concensus is that older bushmasters are accurate, reliable and well made....absolutely no contest there my friend.

all the rest, good for you but this statement, 'my life is worth it'.....please tell me you are not one of those guys.  Our boys are being shot up overseas with guns made in back alleys out of freakin soda cans so let's not let hysterical notions of 'my life depends on it' get in the way of modern machining and materials and 21st production standards.  People need a little back from the ledge of 'my life depends on it' perspective sometimes.

I have a bcm, great gun and decent accuracy.  I love it and their products so good choice!

Arfcom is the blind leading the blind. Guys claiming to be gurus that have chased more quality people off their forum than they have kept. It's a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Take everything you find there with a grain of salt and a skeptical eye. You got never-have-beens telling industry professionals how it is. Guys that buy a Bushamster, fire 200 rounds in 3 years through it and say the gun is perfect. :facepalm: These are the guys that keep Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide in business, buying all the cheap crap they sell.

Every now and then there is some good info there, but for the most part it is hot garbage. Just saying'. I will take info from this forum over Arfcom or M4C.net any day of the week.

As far as the "my life depends on it" I think you missed the point. It has nothing to do with what the "other guys" are using. And you can stow the hyperbole, our men and women are being killed by cowards with small arms that were built to a standard, not in a back alley with soda cans :rolleyes:

ARs work. We know this, but they need to be built a certain way with certain materials to be as reliable and long lasting as we need. There are companies out there that purposefully cut corners (Armalite, Olympic Arms, Rock River, Bushamster/Windham, the list goes on) to save a buck. They are gambling that most AR owners are going to buy a rifle, fire 100 or 200 rounds a year through it and that is it. These people will love their carbines, at 150 rounds a year they will last forever and they are all the rifle they will ever need.

Other users are more discerning. They train often, shoot a lot, and expect more. Some of these people look at their rifle as a tool for work, others as insurance against hard times or as protection from evil. Some of them quite literally bet their life that their rifle will work daily. For these people those lesser carbines are not enough. They find the faults as they test their gear and use it hard. They quickly discover that they can not depend on that rifle and correctly decide that their life is worth more than the $250 they saved buying the "just as good as" carbine.

Just because your frame of reference is different than mine, don't tell me that my betting my life on my rifle and expecting it to work every time is an over reaction. It is not just a hobby or fun competition for everyone that has a rifle.

no I just always chuckle with the 'my life depends on it' remarks. 

That's because yours never has.

While I agree that arfcom has some morons (sheer size dictates this) to dismiss it is foolish and have seen just as many moronic people on m4carbine as there.

Arfcom is the worst. There may be a decent thread there occasionally and they have a decent "reference" section - their "how to AR" section is very good - but on the whole I have seen more bad info and Internet commando bullying there than I care to remember. No argument here about M4C. They are even worse.

No, I don't come here for research. This is an interesting forum because it's a bunch of local folks with local news and info.

High Exposure summed up AR15.com perfectly. Clownshoes.

I'm not sure you're getting my "My life is worth it" comment. I own guns to defend myself. The hobby/collecting aspect is further down the list. If that bugs you, well, that's that.

I'm no longer satisfied with mediocre gear because I have seen that stuff fail first hand, re my Bushmaster. When I bought it I didn't know any better and took the sales guys advice "It's just as good as the Colt". I took him at his word, thinking the Bushy was just as good as the Colt he had in the rack and as good as the Colt's I'd been issued in the past. It certainly was not. I should have bought the Colt ;)

For someone new to guns in general, I'd recommend buying a complete gun. This way, if something goes wrong you have a warranty and some recourse. 

Snapping a gun together is certainly fun and a great learning experience. The AR system is simple too.

On the other hand, there's no warranty on a malfunctioning parts gun. Getting something like that to run could be frustrating for a newby. Just something to consider gang.

One could make a case for doing it either way, but the above is the way I view it.

On the train home and then right to Effingers to see if they have any stripped lowers in stock. What's a reasonable expectation price wise? The ones I picked were selling for $89 online andbwould have to be shipped to a FFL. That adds at least $25. So I'm "guesstimating" around $115 - $125 retail? Close or way off?

This^ I have an WW SRC and I love it and there customer service is top notch. Check these videos out. It's a great story.

http://youtu.be/4j_4t6Zu51I

I stopped watching at 3:30. They parkerize the barrel and front sight base AFTER it is all assembled. That is a deviation from the TDP.

That can only make one wonder what other corners they are cutting.

Effingers currently only has "Magtech" in stick right now. Suppussed to be very strong and very light.....but too heavy for my wallet at $199.99! I also called an FFL I used recently to 2 transfers. They will be getting in some Spikes for $140-150.

I'll call some other local places and worst case order over the internet.

Effingers currently only has "Magtech" in stick right now. Suppussed to be very strong and very light.....but too heavy for my wallet at $199.99! I also called an FFL I used recently to 2 transfers. They will be getting in some Spikes for $140-150.

I havent seen those lowers. Aren't they an export ammo company?

Do you mean Mag Tactical ?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/mag-tactical-systems-ar-15-ultralight-stripped-lower-receiver-mg-g4-blk-black.html#arpartsfinder.com

Could give Monmouth Arms a call, don't know the current price but he had a good deal on Spike's awhile back

Do you mean Mag Tactical ?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/mag-tactical-systems-ar-15-ultralight-stripped-lower-receiver-mg-g4-blk-black.html#arpartsfinder.com

Could give Monmouth Arms a call, don't know the current price but he had a good deal on Spike's awhile back

That was probably it.  I called on the cell b/c things came up and I wanted to check instead of wasting time driving.  Glad I did.