gleninjersey

Good Entry Level "Off The Shelf" Buy

Very good info in this thread. As i don't know much about higher end AR's it gave me a bigger perspective and inticed me to read more on Daniel Defense,BCM and such.

I think also i have to learn to use "quality and durability" instead of "fit and finish" :)

Hallelujah!! Welcome to the party! :B:):

Just ask...

Between 6 or 7 people here we have probably had hands on most parts you could ask about... And even if we haven't most of us are familiar enough with the companies to speak to the quality...

Thanks. Unfortunately, I found this website AFTER I bought my first AR. lol.

At the time I had a budget of around $1k. My coworker told me about Noveske, LMT, DD, and LWRC. Way out of my price range for a first AR. He tried to talk me into building my first AR (with his help), but I wanted something as a shooter out of the box (as I was not sure I would like the platform coming from pistols only). I have learned a lot from being here and have accessorized my AR accordingly from recommendations here.

My only question, is what constitutes a "good trigger"? I understand take-up and creep. I like the trigger on my SWMP15T. I tried my co-workers Colt and did not like it. Not sure what the term is - gap between trigger pulls. Which my AR does not have. I guess if I tried one with an aftermarket trigger I would feel the difference.

Very good videos showing & explaining an AR build from "ITS Tactical" from Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9D875B52EB8FDA96

The more I watch videos like this, the more I believe, "Yeah, I can do that!".

Quick question in reference to building an upper.  How much money do you save doing it yourself (including all the tools you have to purchase) versus purchasing a fully assembled upper?  I'm sure some of the tools I could borrow but I'm just curious if it is worth it to build your own upper or just purchase an assembled one.  Only reason I'm asking is because it really doesn't look all that difficult to do!  Just watch the videos.....you'll be amazed at how simple it looks. 

Also, what uppers should I be considering?  Keep in mind my goal is to build the "GP-100s" of ARs.  So it doesn't have to be the prettiest or lightest but does have to be reliable and tough (and hopefully practically priced).  I'm liking what I've been reading about Bravo Company.  Here are 2 mid-length uppers I'm looking at:

$529:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm

$459:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

It's starting to click now how building an AR is "Lego's for grownups".  :)

I can bring mine to Heritage on Monday as well. We usually get there between 10 and 10:30 and stay for around an hour and a half or so. Maybe we can do a classic pass around.

I usually try to get there around 9:00-9:30 as I did today. Shot 3 semis and my revolver and left around noon. Probably going back Saturday and might sight my Aimpoint Pro. If not on Saturday I'll sight it in Monday before you get there. I'll be on a 25 yard port. Ask for Seymour when you check in. How many ports should I try to get for 10:00am?

I should be there around 10:30.  Was a little iffey there for a bit as wife and oldest daughter were feeling a blit under the weather but wife is feeling better and I'm gtg. 

A friend or two may be accompanying me.  I'll bring my GP100 and CZ75.  See you guys soon!

Thoughts on the Mossberg MMR? I checked it out at Cheyenne today for $750.

I don't have personal experience with the MMR, but one of the guys I work with has one. He expressed displeasure with it, but I don't recall what his issues were.

For the same price point, the S&W is a pretty good carbine for the money.

When Mossberg was supplying barrels to S&W for a bit in the beginning of their rifle program, there was a significant issue with accuracy. S&W now makes their own barrels and overall they run pretty well - S&W is the only non mil-spec rifle I would consider buying or recommend to anyone. I have seen them run and run and run long after others (Bushampster, Olympic Arms, Rock River, Armalite...) have puked.

If Mossberg is using the same barrels, or manufacturing barrels to the same specs as the ones supplied to S&W a few years ago, I could see where his displeasure is coming from.

I remember him using the phrase," steaming pile of crap", and a few choice cuss words while referring to his MMR. Can't recall why he hated it so much.

He has since bought a Daniel Defense rifle, he doesn't cuss any more.

I remember him using the phrase," steaming pile of crap", and a few choice cuss words while referring to his MMR. Can't recall why he hated it so much.

He has since bought a Daniel Defense rifle, he doesn't cuss any more.

Hahaha!

reviews have been pretty good with the mmr and quick google search says the accuracy isn't bad.  I just built a cheap a$$ beater with one of their melonited mossberg barrels that were on sale for $99 and ran enough through it that I can say that while it's no match grade putting hole in hole/touching hole, it does hit 9" steel at 245yd berm with open sights on every shot.  I can scope it for a day and really see what that barrel can do if you'd like

agree on the s&w if you can get the 1:8 melonited barrels as they seem to have the best accuracy.

Very good videos showing & explaining an AR build from "ITS Tactical" from Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9D875B52EB8FDA96

The more I watch videos like this, the more I believe, "Yeah, I can do that!".

Quick question in reference to building an upper.  How much money do you save doing it yourself (including all the tools you have to purchase) versus purchasing a fully assembled upper?  I'm sure some of the tools I could borrow but I'm just curious if it is worth it to build your own upper or just purchase an assembled one.  Only reason I'm asking is because it really doesn't look all that difficult to do!  Just watch the videos.....you'll be amazed at how simple it looks. 

Also, what uppers should I be considering?  Keep in mind my goal is to build the "GP-100s" of ARs.  So it doesn't have to be the prettiest or lightest but does have to be reliable and tough (and hopefully practically priced).  I'm liking what I've been reading about Bravo Company.  Here are 2 mid-length uppers I'm looking at:

$529:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm

$459:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

It's starting to click now how building an AR is "Lego's for grownups".  :)

i would go with the one in the first link. or a 14.5 in. BFH barrel with the 1.5 in. break pinned.  don't forget to add a BCG and charging handle. BCM makes some of the best stuff in the industry.

So I had to go to Best Buy to replace our 8 year old internet router that wen kaput.  Since I was out that way any way I decided to swing by the local gun shop to see if they had any 9mm ammo in stock. 

36w6.jpg

I never did find out if they had any 9mm ammo in stock.... :)  Bet you guys thought I was never going to get around to purchasing this!  All good things come to those who wait.  BEST Valentines Day gift EVER!  :)

I also just got one of those Anderson lowers this week.  Ordered it from PSA and picked up from Monmouth Arms on Wednesday.  Putting a LPK in was easier than I thought it would be. I had it done within 45 min, sitting on my living room floor watching TV, and this was my first time.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about an upper, but so far building it has been the way to go.  I have nothing to compare it to, but I was surprised at how nice the Anderson lower was.  Reading this thread was part of the motivation to get this thing started, so I'm glad to see you got one too.  

I also just got one of those Anderson lowers this week. Ordered it from PSA and picked up from Monmouth Arms on Wednesday. Putting a ////LPK in was easier than I thought it would be. I had it done within 45 min, sitting on my living room floor watching TV, and this was my first time. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about an upper, but so far building it has been the way to go. I have nothing to compare it to, but I was surprised at how nice the Anderson lower was. Reading this thread was part of the motivation to get this thing started, so I'm glad to see you got one too.

Good to know I could inspire another kindered soul. It will be interesting to see how our builds progress. Good luck to you you and I hope we can learn something from one another and hopefully to those who come after us......fight the good fight!

That's how I roll! :) Just got tired of waiting....and they had it in stock. A gentleman was picking up a Colt Anaconda and we were waiting for NCIS to come back...what a beautiful gun.

Watch you'll have everything else together within the month. No lower can sit there all by itself!

Stumbled across the "Youtuber" Hijack86.  Have watched a few his "AR 15 Do's and Don't".  Very informative for newbies like myself.  Also like that he has the times he changes/introduces different subjects in the description.  You can jump right to a particular topic without watching a bunch of stuff you don't want to or you're not interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX-4e9sLSGo&list=PL27aPi0wwL00yM5vuKFfcfBXEu9412IjY&feature=c4-overview-vl

Watch you'll have everything else together within the month. No lower can sit there all by itself!

Made it through the weekend without ordering any parts. Had a few close calls. Maybe it helped I was slighly hung over Sunday morning and had to take down the outside Christmas lights and complete a few items on the "honey do" lists........next weekend will be more difficult.

Who am I kidding? It's snowing now, suppossed to snow Wednesday and we may get hit (possible hard) on Saturday! Besides shoveling snow, I'll be couped up in the house looking at parts all week on the internets! One day at a time, one day at a time.......stay strong.

Made it through the weekend without ordering any parts. Had a few close calls. Maybe it helped I was slighly hung over Sunday morning and had to take down the outside Christmas lights and complete a few items on the "honey do" lists........next weekend will be more difficult.

Who am I kidding? It's snowing now, suppossed to snow Wednesday and we may get hit (possible hard) on Saturday! Besides shoveling snow, I'll be couped up in the house looking at parts all week on the internets! One day at a time, one day at a time.......stay strong.

What lower parts kit are you looking at? Gonna build or buy an upper? Just out of curiosity of course ;)

Like what I have been reading about the ALG ACT trigger but haven't tried one yet. Seriously thinking about getting it, preferably with some sort of kit to try to save a little.

Would like to build the upper but from what little I have read it seems you really won't save much at all by doing so.....plus I have no tools to attach the barrel. If I'm wrong about the savings part let me know. How much would it costs to purchase the necessary tools to attach the barrel? It seems the other tools aren't too expensive. Is it worth it to buy tools to attach barrel if I'll I won't be building multiple rifles?

I wasn't just looking at the Spikes upper in the "Hot Deals" thread.....

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5050MLSDC

but if I had been, how does Spikes compare to BCM? I realize the Spikes is ready to go out of the box and with the BCM uppers I've been eyeing I know I would need to add a BCG and charging handle and rails, etc.

Would Spikes be comparable or fit my requirements of trying to build the Ruger GP 100s of ARs?

Youll spend $100 for the torque wrench and at multitool. And I guess its all about timing and what parts you want.

The BCM is generally more expensive (and imo better quality) but we all have our compromises to work with.

I bought this

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=2548

Yes it's a little more expensive, but you also get a gunfighter CH ($45ish) a magpul rear sight ($40?) Iwc sling mount bcm bolt carrier group etc..... Very good value there. Plus its bcm. Only thing is the muzzle device isn't included but you get to pick your own so it could be a plus.

If the question was would you do well buying the spikes, then yes, I believe you will be very happy with it.