RS1200XL

What scale does everyone use?

I recently got into reloading and my first setup is a Hornady Lock-N-Load classic.  Comes with pretty much everything I needed except dies, primers and powder.  Anyway I almost finished my first couple batches this weekend; but last night GS-1500 scale died on me(bad load cell?).   Anyway, it will be going back to Hornady for warranty service(it didn't even last a week!); however I don't know if I trust it after reading all the negative reviews.  Once I get the GS-1500 back I was thinking of keeping it for quick verifications but a beam scale as my main scale.  Am I over thinking it, is the digital fine for handgun loads?  What does everyone use?

One of the best "investments" I made in reloading equipment was the MeWeigh Gempro 250 digital scale.

I now use my GS-1500 as a paper weight and my old Lyman 1000 balance beam for an occasional double check of the Gempro.

The Gempro really shines when you're weighing charges that have a very narrow band between "starting charge" and "maximum charge" (e.g. Titegroup in 9mm).

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm going to grab a 5-0-5 after Christmas for verifications.  Hopefully Hornady can get me a scale soon as I just threw my first batch of rounds down range without any issues; now I need to refill the ammo used!

I have been researching this recently and have found many good reviews of this jeweler's scale http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C3I2GK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=C9AQR3JDCZWU&coliid=I277QVO3818BNF

I'm hoping it might be my Christmas present so I'll come back later and let you know how it works out.

The RCBS Chargemaster 1500 is top notch. Has been extremely accurate and reliable.

Yes it is. Works as my charge check scale for my bulk pistol loads and works perfectly on dispensing my rifle loads. You can buy the scale as a stand alone unit then the dispenser if you need it later.

I have been researching this recently and have found many good reviews of this jeweler's scale http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C3I2GK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=C9AQR3JDCZWU&coliid=I277QVO3818BNF

I'm hoping it might be my Christmas present so I'll come back later and let you know how it works out.

I did indeed get it for Chrstmas. I haven't had a chance to use it alot yet but it is showing a half dozen throws from my Lee powder disc measure to be within .05gn of each other - I'm using Accurate #5 powder which is pretty fine grained and normally throws very consistently. So far I recommend it.

Stu.

One of the best "investments" I made in reloading equipment was the MeWeigh Gempro 250 digital scale.

I now use my GS-1500 as a paper weight and my old Lyman 1000 balance beam for an occasional double check of the Gempro.

The Gempro really shines when you're weighing charges that have a very narrow band between "starting charge" and "maximum charge" (e.g. Titegroup in 9mm).

This is what i use and i love it. .02gr accuracy... Been using it for about a year now and it's never given me a problem..

If i were to buy anything cheaper it would be a Jennings... i had one before the gempro and it worked flawless as well, i was just looking for something with a little more accuracy.

I also use an RCBS 505 beam scale.

I bought mine in 1978, so I can vouch for the longevity of the design!

I do have an inexpensive digital scale (don't recall the brand), which I use a lot due to it's convenience...but I remain a big fan of the 505 and continue to use it as well.

I did indeed get it for Chrstmas. I haven't had a chance to use it alot yet but it is showing a half dozen throws from my Lee powder disc measure to be within .05gn of each other - I'm using Accurate #5 powder which is pretty fine grained and normally throws very consistently. So far I recommend it.

Stu.

Further to this - I did over 500 rounds of 45 ACP and 9mm today. The scale worked perfectly checking the throw of powder. To test it out I measured one throw and then 4 throws combined. 1 throw was 5.5gn, 4 throws showed 21.5gn. I'm happy with that.

Everyone uses a scale that they like for their own reasons.

Some want an antique beam balance, so they should have an RCBS 5-10 or 10-10 (though, I find the idea of spending $160 for a beam to be ludicrous) .

Some want cheap but adequatre, so they use a Lee Safety Scale (does the job as well as any but is too light and difficult to read to be fun --I want to glue the thing to bench as even a slight breeze is almost enough to move it and lose zero).

Some like small digitals -- I really like the Lyman 1500 micro-touch. My old 1500 has worked perfectly for about five years now (and continues to work perfectly), but I really like the new micro-touch (got it for my son-in-law and it stays on when on A/C power, whereas my old 1500 turns itself off after about 3 minutes of inactivity)

Some like a powder dispenser (that includes a scale) -- I like is the RCBS ChargeMaster (it has worked perfectly for me for about 10 years)

Some want a large scale -- I like the Horandy L-N-L Bench scale.

Some really believe that loads controlled to +/- 0.01gn are necessary, so they go with a scale that at least claims 0.02gn readability -- see Torbal AGZN200 for a nearly perfect scale for these folks (+/- 0.001gn and pretty darn affordable).

It really boils down to what you want.

Personally, I feel a scale is important enough that I wouldn't buy one for less than about $75 and would read reviews on the various web sites (and take the reviews with a grain of sale and watch out for blue, red, green, and orange followers who make it their life's duty to bash the other colors -- that, and I swear there are a dedicated bunch of beam folks who love to write negative reviews for every digital scale that comes along).