Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Mikhail Kalashnikov has passed away

Goodbye Misha,

In my darkest hour your machine gave me hope.

I m sure that you and Stoner have a lot to talk about.

Краснои Армии - СЛАВА

If they meet in the fires of hell Kalashnikov has the advantage.

If they are separated by a few hundred yards of clouds...Stoner has the upper hand.

RIP

"Упокой, Господи, душу раба Твоего новопреставленного, и прости ему вся согрешения его вольная и невольная и д'аруй ему Царствие Небесное".

His inventions and legacy will always be controversial.

he was a humble and a really cool dude. Did a lot for his country.

Because of people like him Russia is still there...

Hmmmm, interesting.... Misha stated how much he revered Stalin and Lenin. He was a member of the communist party since 1953, a communist through and through. Did he design and create one of the simplest, most efficient weapons ever? No doubt! But as someone who has family and friends who lived under the yoke of Stalin and his successors, I would rather not glorify or canonize Kalashnikov on his passing, I'd rather view it as having no impact on me or my life, and then yawn.......

Flame on........

I could only speak for myself but I’d hazard a guess I would say most folks that posted here recognize who he was and what his political beliefs and were… He’s only getting kudos(from me anyway) because of the firearm & time-tested design, no more no less. Every ethnic group could look back in history and say their descendants got a bad deal but that’s another discussion. To wrap it up as long as people are trying to still get into the USA that should say something for us.

Hmmmm, interesting.... Misha stated how much he revered Stalin and Lenin. He was a member of the communist party since 1953, a communist through and through. Did he design and create one of the simplest, most efficient weapons ever? No doubt! But as someone who has family and friends who lived under the yoke of Stalin and his successors, I would rather not glorify or canonize Kalashnikov on his passing, I'd rather view it as having no impact on me or my life, and then yawn.......

Flame on........

Do you listen to Michael Jackson?  Think Ted Kennedy was to be revered?  Liked OJ Simpson on the football field?  etc etc etc Many, many people have done great things and then gone on to do terrible things (and vice versa).  To be revered for the great and despised for the horrible is nothing new.  We're not "Sainting" Kalashnikov here, or commenting on his politics, just appreciating his engineering.

Is Yuri Gagarin any less the first man in space because he was a commie?

No flame intended at you Edge. 

I considered launching some digs because he was a communist, but then when you read his words, you realize he was dismayed that warlords and their minions use his gun for evil.  He created the AK-47 to defend his country.  I cannot fault him for that.    He built the most reliable mouse trap and the engineer in me can appreciate it.