Gunnz

Inspection/Rebluing of Pistol

My dad retired after 37 years of being a LEO and is moving down to South Carolina in a few months.

When he first started working back in the 70's he had to purchase his own firearm. He used the Colt Lawman mkiii in .357 magnum.

Because of the move, and my love for shooting, he said he will give me the firearm. Remixer will be handling the transfer, but does anyone know a good gunsmith in central NJ that would be able to inspect it and possibly reblue it?

Though it's a family heirloom, it won't be a safe queen, I want to take it out, and I want to know its safe.

He said he hasn't used it in over 30 years and I rather it not explode in my hands.

I am located in Old Bridge if this helps.

Thanks in advance for the input.

You do realize that if your Dad is a NJ resident, you DO NOT NEED AN FFL to do the transfer.

You need your 4-part PPP, which you and your dad will complete, then he'll mail the top 2 copies to the NJSP and your local PD.

He gets #3 and you keep #4.

No FFL Fee, no NICS call (or charge) necessary.

You do realize that if your Dad is a NJ resident, you DO NOT NEED AN FFL to do the transfer.

You need your 4-part PPP, which you and your dad will complete, then he'll mail the top 2 copies to the NJSP and your local PD.

He gets #3 and you keep #4.

No FFL Fee, no NICS call (or charge) necessary.

He lives in NYS

Give Jim Blauvelt in PA a call.  I know it's not central Jersey, but I believe he's a driveable distance from you.  I've not had any work done by him, but have seen it.  I don't know if he re-blues tho. 

C

You could send it back to Colt for all of that.

I have checked the colt website and called them, they are currently not accepting refinishing/metal work.

I won't be receiving the pistol until next week sometime, and the metal might be fine. I am more concerned with an inspection/safety of the firearm.

I see heritage guild in Rahway has a gunsmith, anyone ever used him or seen his work?

I have checked the colt website and called them, they are currently not accepting refinishing/metal work.

Their custom shop still lists the work...  When will they accept it?

For the money, I would have them royal blue it.  Their royal blue is extremely deep and impressive.    I considered doing the same that you're considering, and for the same model gun.

Their custom shop still lists the work... When will they accept it?

For the money, I would have them royal blue it. Their royal blue is extremely deep and impressive. I considered doing the same that you're considering, and for the same model gun.

They said they will accept repairs but metal refinishing will not accepted. I asked when they might be able to accept it and didn't get a firm answer. I plan on calling back Monday.