jrfly3006

Recommend me a cordless drill/driver

Ok so my 8 year old Dewalt decided to call it quits so Im in the market for a cordless drill/driver in the $100-150 price range...haven't needed one in a while so looking for some recommendations as far as brand and voltage...Im thinking at least 18 volts no?...also not sure of any new battery technology...LiLon?...It's primarily for light to moderate home use..nothing crazy...thanks all!

I have a 12 volt makita drill/ driver and impact driver for sale at home depot for $100. I like that set and it gets me through most projects. Its good enough for most home projects, the impact has the power to drive in 3 inch lags. the batteries are good enough.  With the quality and price i would get the same set again.

I bought a Craftsman 19 (?) volt drill/hammer drill several years back. It was a consumer reports best buy at the time and I'm very happy with it.

Everyone will hate on me but I don't freaking care.

I have a multiple tool Ryobi 18V NiCad set my parents bought me years ago.  I wasn't a big fan (due to the heavy and poor performing NiCad batteries), however the ability to get batteries easily and cheaply at HD made it more useful after my batteries on my beloved Porter Cable Drill/Driver eventually died. 

Earlier this year I needed an impact driver and bought another Ryobi at HD with the Li Ion 18v batteries (and charger) which also work in the set my parents previously got me.  I have used these tools residentially and also for light commercial work.  The tools have NOT broken or failed to do the job, ever.  The original NiCad batteries were heavy and didn't have a great use time, the Li Ion has made up for all the shortcomings of the tools and have become my go-to set.

In addition, the Li Ion batteries charge much much quicker than the old NiCads.

While these tools are not the quality of my older Porter Cable, they are also not bare bones residential crap.  If you're on a budget, consider the Ryobi.

I have always use Ryobi as a homeowner and they are a sub of Dewalt.

I think the value is good, and as DJG said, the newer Lith Ion batteries are 

much netter than the older Ni-cads.

If you're going to use it daily (as in the trades) than I would go Dewalt,

but if your just looking for a decent areound the house tool - I would suggest 

Ryobi as well........

Not totally on topic, but I have a SteelBolts brand 18V drill set that I got for xmas that I want to sell. Already have a Ryobi that I'm happy with.

I put it on eBay already, but ill let it go for $20 if anyone wants to pick it up.

Obviously not a super quality tool, but could be good for a learner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have always use Ryobi as a homeowner and they are a sub of Dewalt.

Ryobi is made by the same company as craftsman. Dewalt is owned by black and decker.

I would go with a Lithium for sure. I actually like the Bosch smaller drivers for smaller projects as they are lighter and smaller sized with good power or in a drill/driver a dewalt or Hitachi.

I also sell them all :)

Ryobi is made by the same company as craftsman. Dewalt is owned by black and decker.

I would go with a Lithium for sure. I actually like the Bosch smaller drivers for smaller projects as they are lighter and smaller sized with good power or in a drill/driver a dewalt or Hitachi.

I also sell them all :)

ok Checko spill the beans..which ones get returned the most?...

I had a dewalt forever... It was a good drill... My dad gave me a black and decker drill... It's much smaller and lighter... And considering I am mostly a light around the house user it's been more than adequate... I'm actually really satisfied with it...

I havent tried the new li-ion batteries in depth yet, I know they are probably better.. But i've probably got about 14 of the 18 volt XRP batteries, so I'm ussually never out of fresh charged batteries.

Theyre way lighter (think of holding the 18v nicad over youre head to drill) last longer, and don't have the reduction of power that nicad does when the battery drains.

14 batteries is a shit ton though haha. Sell some and make some $$$

Actually the best buy right now is the ryobi or dewalt.. last snapon drill went and i purchased dewalt and have been running the dewalt drill and screwdriver impact and 1/2 impact for 3 years now.. for about 1/3 price for snap-on.

I just purchased a ryobi angle drill and will phase out the dewalt with ryobi mainly because one battery fits all their tools going way back. also like the large capacity charger they have.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/ryobi+charger?NCNI-5

Another vote for the Ryobi sets - I've beat them to death with all the work I do with them.  Only every broke one drill, and that was when I dropped it from the ladder onto the driveway.  Otherwise, reliable as anything else and there are lots of tools available that use the same battery.  Not an issue if you only want the drill/driver but it's a benefit if you ever want more than just that. 

Im a Trade professional I only use Dewalt or Bosch, both are great for daily abuse. Hitachi and Makita are also good brands. I do know this. If you buy your cordless tools from Home Cheapo or Blowes, the quality is lesser than what you would get from a real tool supplier.

The big box stores sell cheaper made stuff, that looks similar to the real McCoy but isn't the same quality wise. But I'm also talking about tools used every day to make a living. If your looking for something to use around the house occasionaly anything will do. No sense in dropping $250 for something that will get used for 10 min once a month maybe.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I've been a fan of Ryobi for years.  I've got a few problem with recent changes to their Lithium batteries.  The lithium batteries used to have a button on them that allowed you to check the charge.  (Red, yellow, green lights)   They released new (more expensive) batteries called Lithium Plus which have a charge gauge instead.  Now the regular lithium batteries no longer have a charge indicator.

Also new Lithium One+ tools no longer come with the high capacity battery like they used to, they now come with the compact battery.

I get why they did all of that, I just think it's kind of shitty.