jrfly3006

Recommend me a cordless drill/driver

Millwakee 18v fuel not from home depot. I got mine. At AW Mayer. I have a year and a half on the drill and impact. I would kill a mikita in 6-8 months

6-8 months I've had them all.I drill holes in alnminium and steel every day in all conditions.

They are cheaper at home depot that particular model. I had one from AW Meyer returned it. However i love that store.Tons of tools!

Are you driving screws and bolts? Get an impact gun it will do a much better job driving and bolting up, less buggering up the heads. Drilling? Get a "drill".

I have the Milwaukee  18 fuel impact actually a few of them. good guns. However they are about $250 each. Homeowner then get a kit for a few hundred ,Most of the tools are comparable .

buy once cry once

Millwakee 18v fuel not from home depot. I got mine. At AW Mayer. I have a year and a half on the drill and impact. I would kill a mikita in 6-8 months

6-8 months I've had them all.I drill holes in alnminium and steel every day in all conditions.

I had a Milwaukee before I got my Craftsman. It was great. I dropped it off a ladder twice on to a hard surface and it continued to work perfectly. The charger was what failed and the replacement would have cost me more that I spent on the drill in the first place. That's why I went with the Craftsman.

Dewalt or Bosch, all the way.

I use a whole slew of Dewalt tools everyday - drill, impact driver, grinder, and I love them. After about 7 years of use, the drill and impact burned out so our project manager bought us the new 20v lithiums. Ooooo I like them. Tiny batteries and a bit more power.

Another crew got the Bosch drill and driver and they are nice too. I prefer Dewalt though. I like Bosch for hammer drills and other heavy-use type tools.

I got the Dewalt DCD771 from HD this year for Christmas. IMO, it's a great deal on a 20v drill/driver w/ 2 LiOn battery packs. It may not be as full featured as some of the Dewalt high-end models, but gets the odd job done around the house for me.

http://thd.co/1ceeYZ9

I've had an 18v Makita set that came with the flashlight, 1/4" driver, 1/2 drill, and reciprocating saw for over 6yrs. I used them all day every day. I've had one battery fail and the tools still work great. I paid $300 for the set with a tool bag back then. Makita was the first of the tool companies to go from a 2-pole motor to 4-pole brushless motor and delivered outstanding torque and battery life. Their charger is also quicker than most because they can charge at higher voltage rates due to the charger having a fan that circulates air completely through a chamber in the battery. It's pretty ingenious as charging isn't what harms the battery, the heat from charging is what does that, so they eliminated the heat. From dead to full charge is 10 minutes, and it lasts hours. I'll only buy Makita from now on.

Dewalt is best but pricey. I have an 18v Porter Cable kit from Lowes (drill,sawzall, 4" circular saw,flashlight) that has been awesome for a few years and was only about $120-130 bucks and I am totally happy with. My dad has a Ryobi and says its junk.

Im a Trade professional I only use Dewalt or Bosch, both are great for daily abuse. Hitachi and Makita are also good brands. I do know this. If you buy your cordless tools from Home Cheapo or Blowes, the quality is lesser than what you would get from a real tool supplier. The big box stores sell cheaper made stuff, that looks similar to the real McCoy but isn't the same quality wise.  .....

Very true.  You have to go to a real distributer to get the good stuff.  The stuff from the box stores are just rebranded knock-offs with licensed names.  For occasional use, however, they'll probably work fine.

I like the Bosch 12v tools very light and compact. I have a set I use for work I do mostly concrete work. It has lasted my 6+ years. Have dropped it off latters of scaffolding into wet concrete and still works fine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I suggest doing some research on tool manufactures making the exact same power tool with inferior parts for box stores . They will make tools that a homeowner may be more likely to buy because of

price. Being a contractor im going to go to the other end of the shelf and by the tool that cost more and is better suited to my needs.

Different product lines ,not the same product with cheaper parts.

I suggest doing some research on tool manufactures making the exact same power tool with inferior parts for box stores . They will make tools that a homeowner may be more likely to buy because of

price. Being a contractor im going to go to the other end of the shelf and by the tool that cost more and is better suited to my needs.

Different product lines ,not the same product with cheaper parts.

You know, I don't really buy this.  On one hand I can see why someone might think that, on the other it makes no sense. I'm going to guess a lot of this is coming from stores that claim to be special but in fact can't compete with the purchasing power of the big stores. 

First of all, are they using the same part numbers? If they are, then it makes little or no sense for Dewalt or anyone to make the same tool in two ways, it is bad for their supply and warranty chain.  I'll buy that the are selling 123-ABC at HD which has smaller batteries and less torque and 456-XYZ elsewhere with different specs, sure, just like not every Chevy dealership has 3500's in stock when they mostly sell Silverado's. But I don't believe that they will make the same tool number differently.

Secondly, it is a reputation killer. You don't really care if the markets are vastly different, but a lot of contractors now buy their stuff at HD and Lowes so how long before you brand is in the crapper? That would be a very bad plan.

Lastly, I found the following link where a Dewalt rep states that there is no difference in their tools regardless of where you buy it: http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/hey-gatorb888-tell-us-about-dewalt-109676/

After 3 personal dead dewalt 18v drills and 2 at work in 6 years I will never recommend them. On The ones that I had, The speed controls are garbage, the gearboxes stop shifting and hammering.

Granted I use my stuff in an industrial setting and mainly on metal, but for the money I am not impressed. Only reason I kept buying them is because I had a pile of very expensive batteries.

I went with craftsman and a bunch of batteries for less money. Sure ergonomics aren't as good and it doesn't have some features but it works just the same and when it craps out your not going to cry when you replace it.

It seems like dewalt and Milwaukee have shifted focus from commercial grade tools to consumer/ handyman grade witch is more than enough for the vast majority of people but not for me.

You know, I don't really buy this.  On one hand I can see why someone might think that, on the other it makes no sense. I'm going to guess a lot of this is coming from stores that claim to be special but in fact can't compete with the purchasing power of the big stores. 

First of all, are they using the same part numbers? If they are, then it makes little or no sense for Dewalt or anyone to make the same tool in two ways, it is bad for their supply and warranty chain.  I'll buy that the are selling 123-ABC at HD which has smaller batteries and less torque and 456-XYZ elsewhere with different specs, sure, just like not every Chevy dealership has 3500's in stock when they mostly sell Silverado's. But I don't believe that they will make the same tool number differently.

Secondly, it is a reputation killer. You don't really care if the markets are vastly different, but a lot of contractors now buy their stuff at HD and Lowes so how long before you brand is in the crapper? That would be a very bad plan.

Lastly, I found the following link where a Dewalt rep states that there is no difference in their tools regardless of where you buy it: http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/hey-gatorb888-tell-us-about-dewalt-109676/

Vlad, I dont know if this directly releates to power tools, but the jist of it is true, plumbing facets is a good example... Home depot will contact Kohler or the like and tell them they want XXX amount of kitchen facets, and they are willing to pay XXXX amount of dollars. Kohler may, or may not have to adjust some of their parts or manufacturing to still come out ahead cost wise on their part, It might be a plastic flange where there was a metal one,  plastic gaskets where there was rubber, pot metal where it was a stonger metal, you get the idea.

I think you misunderstood my point which was exactly the same as yours only worded differently and perhaps not as eloquent . I was saying they dont make the same tool with cheaper parts for big box stores VS small tool supply store.

On the plumbing fixtures , I have seen a definite  difference in the stuff i buy at home depot as opposed to the things i get from the local plumbing supply.

Quite honestly i dont care for home depot. I spend more time looking for what i want and then waiting on line,then having to load it myself which cost me time which = $ .

Generally most of the employees dont know a hose bib from a lobster bib

So after reading through all the above.. and pretty much there is a vote for every manufacturer the real issues are this:

1) is this for commercial or personal use?

2) and what size battery do you need?   if just a weekend warrior, which I am, I am in love with my 12 volts.. I can't imagine carrying around bigger for that unless I'm building a deck, and actually I replaced all the treads on my deck stairs with my dewalt 12v without a hitch.

they weigh half as much.

and where was all this info when I posted about my wobbly chuck a couple months ago?!?  :-)

I can speak for power tools, but I know that a lot of the hand tools sold at HD and other big box stores are made (crappier) just for them. I sell Jackson wheelbarrows, the same heavy duty contractor model that's been made since the 1950's. When I was looking at the model that they had at HD, it looked very similar to the one I sell, but had a model number I didn't recognize. When I got back to my office, I looked up the model number in the full line catalog but it was not listed in there. So, that means that they are making this model specifically for HD (and probably Lowes and TSC, and other similar stores) and they cheapen it by making the tray a little thinner, the handles a little thinner and so on.

I can speak for power tools, but I know that a lot of the hand tools sold at HD and other big box stores are made (crappier) just for them. I sell Jackson wheelbarrows, the same heavy duty contractor model that's been made since the 1950's. When I was looking at the model that they had at HD, it looked very similar to the one I sell, but had a model number I didn't recognize. When I got back to my office, I looked up the model number in the full line catalog but it was not listed in there. So, that means that they are making this model specifically for HD (and probably Lowes and TSC, and other similar stores) and they cheapen it by making the tray a little thinner, the handles a little thinner and so on.

I recall hearing someone taking apart two Dewalt drills, one from a DeWalt supplier and one from HD.  They had different part numbers but looked nearly the same.  Once it was opened up the HD one had plastic gears compared to metallic.  Other parts were cheapened up as well.  Does it matter for the average DIYer?  Probably not, and for the price they are decent enough.

That being said, I have a Craftsman 19V(C3 or something) Drill and Driver set which I have been using quite a bit for about 4 years(Last job I used it 6 days a week nearly every day for about 2 years).  I had to get new batteries and the drill chuck is starting to slip.  But for $100 or $120, I cannot complain.  Around tax time I think I'm going to be upgrading to a Makita LiPo set.  Hilti is another great company, but its quite a bit of coin to cough up.

I've got a number of Craftsman 19.2v tools that have held up for me over the years.  They are certainly not the best tools out there, nor do I expect them to be, but for the limited use I put them through, they are great.   I once managed to pick up a clearance kit of 6 tools and 3 batteries for about $120 a while back, and I have been quite happy with everything I have.  I now own around 9 Craftsman 19.2v  tools and 7 batteries.

A friend does a fair amount of building, and has the "professional" 18v Ryobi tools and those are quite nice.  If I were starting over, I'd probably go that route, but I don't expect my Craftsman tools to break on me anytime soon. 

I completely agree with you here Tom.  It's however the conspiracy theory / tin foil hatters who say that the exact same model/SKU/UPC at Big Box Store is DIFFERENT from the same model/SKU/UPC at Local Hardware/Commercial Tool Store that just make me batshit.

Same thing about everything at Walmart being crap from China...  Really, that tube of name brand toothpaste that you pay $3 more for at the supermarket is better than at Walmart, yeah, ok. :rolleyes:

Have to agree with Milwaukee too - at least for line power tools.  I have a 1/2" drill (keyless chuck) which has been very dependable and very powerful.   It's got enough power to break your wrist if it binds up.   Not as familiar with their battery tools but a great company!