Malsua

Big snow in the next 7 days?

I spent 6 years in Syracuse where 4-6" certainly wasn't a major storm. It was a normal winter day. People there don't bat an eye unless it's over a foot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yeah but they also have a whole different level of snow clearing equipment too.

Yeah but they also have a whole different level of snow clearing equipment too.

Now get ready for the temperature crash on Monday.  It's going up Sunday, raining, then going to plow into the single digits/negatives by Monday afternoon.  

Now get ready for the temperature crash on Monday.  It's going up Sunday, raining, then going to plow into the single digits/negatives by Monday afternoon.  

And we'll all be sick as dogs from the temperature swings by Friday.....

Monday to Tuesday they are calling for pipe bursting cold....

If.... YOU HAVE BASEBOARD hot water heat & think some lines are on an outside walletc... and can get it done tomorrow or Monday

Have a plumber pump into the system cryotek - 100....... Some insurance...

Too Late mine burst today, when I was out @ Walmart. Of course these thing always happen when no ones around.

Nothing like coming home to 3 inches of water in my bedroom and my brothers bedroom. I almost got fried by electricity cause there was 2 power strips submerged and I walked into house into the water not remembering they were there. After flipping the breaker and shutting off the water, I was so pissed. When cleaning up I noticed the two power strips were fried and melted in 2 places. I am freaking lucky to be alive.

Thanks to Damjan for coming and helping me move stuff and ripping the carpeting out of my room. Still have more water to vacuum up and the other room to clean out. Now I got space heaters strewn thru out the house and faucets on trickle.

Monday to Tuesday they are calling for pipe bursting cold....

If.... YOU HAVE BASEBOARD hot water heat & think some lines are on an outside walletc... and can get it done tomorrow or Monday

Have a plumber pump into the system cryotek - 100....... Some insurance...

Several tips.

1.  If you have vulnerable heating pipes, make sure those zones runs at least every 30 minutes.  A corollary to that; turn your heat up.  If you run it at 67, turn it up to 72.  Yes, it will cost you money and yes the furnace may run constantly.  That's the point.   Depending on how your furnace is configured, it may be possible to run the zones even when the furnace is not running, if so, go lock the zone valves open.  Running water is much harder to freeze.

2.  If you have faucets or toilet lines that are at risk, run 'em.   Drip your faucets.  My kitchen is on pillars and the water pipes run under the floor, above the ground and while we've closed up the space with plastic, it's still outside.  Before we wrapped and heat-taped the pipes, we dripped the water.  It works.   As a side note, this particular area was my introduction to PEX.   Pex pipes are plastic that can freeze solid and not burst.  After fixing the copper that burst on nights we forgot to drip the water, I found pex and replaced all of it.   Even when it did freeze, I was able to thaw it, no damage done.

3.  If you have a toilet that freezes, buy some RV anti-freeze and dump it in the tank and the bowl.  Don't use that flush away the anti-freeze until the crisis has passed.    If you need the toilet, rig the float to never shut off.  Every toilet is different, but use string, a weight, whatever to make it never shut off.    One way is to simply put something under the flap.  If you need to use the toilet, remove item from flap, fill it, flush it and keep the flap open again.  This also has the benefit of running water through the lines from your tank/main.

4.  Finally, if you have cold rooms, go buy some shrink film for some of the windows.  This is the stuff you stick on and use a hair dryer to shrink tight.  Before my renovation, we had old casement windows that you could see through.  If we didn't use the film, snow would blow in.   Waking up at 2am with snow on your face and bed was not fun.  Ask me how I know.

+1 on keeping the heat up.  Keeps a lot of problem areas at bay.  If you heat with a wood stove, etc. in areas where hot water heat also runs make sure you keep that zone water moving.  I have seen people use wood stove to heat an area (the stat was in this area) only to have the hot water baseboard pipe freeze in the wall because it did not run for long periods of time.  Open those check valves, if you know how, keeps water moving naturally. Get mixing valves installed on each zone.  Set the temperature.  The circulator keeps the water moving in the zone at a minimum set temp.  Zone valve adds hot water from boiler based on demand from stat.  This is the way to go!  No more knocking and banging baseboard radiators.

Something no one has mentioned.  The rain/snow melt and rapid temperature swing is going to wreak havoc on power lines.  Be prepared for power outages in VERY cold temperatures.  Be safe driving home Monday night!

Something no one has mentioned.  The rain/snow melt and rapid temperature swing is going to wreak havoc on power lines.  Be prepared for power outages in VERY cold temperatures.  Be safe driving home Monday night!

Not to mention the havoc of potholes.  Make sure your spare is up to snuff.  We are gonna need them.

BINGO !

I have to be in Farmingdale all week, starting my new job, for orientation etc...  Just finished prepping everything at the house for my wife in case of ????  whatever might happen...

Nick

Farmingdale - Jersey?

Just around the corner from us.

At least that commute will be mostly against the traffic on the cash cow.

YEP !

Heading out of Vernon NJ around 530ish to see how it is...I expect traffic in the 287/24 corridor till I hit the GSP....

Just an FYI - I tend to see more cars pulled over going south in the morning then northbound on weekdays.

Very few going north, would cause too much of a traffic issue.

Weekends and holidays is far game though .............

Christmas morning commute I saw 8 cars pulled over between 100 & 131

Who makes a good hitch mounted salt spreader? I was looking at Saltdogg by Buyers but didn't know. Need one for the business.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/buyers-saltdogg-tailgate-spreader

That's what I was looking at when I had a plow.

I am close to him. That's it, down on Bay ave in Highlands. It used to be the Bootlegger, a local Clammer bar that Kevin Smith used to put in all his movies. The clientele was very local. Great place to get your ass kicked for no good reason. It's much different now.

LOL cool. I didn't know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk