Teky0101

Pepper Spray for Home Defense?

So you are going to lie to investigators during a criminal investigation where you are the victim? :facepalm:

Not a lie, wasp spray near the door is for bees wasps and spiders all year round. Likewise, near the bed. I once found a wolf spider under my bed that was bigger than my dog. If that is was is in reach so be it. Prove otherwise beyond a suspicion of doubt

Sorry about the argument, I hate it when people suggest stuff that could get you into a lot of trouble for no reason.

IANAL (and all the other disclaimers involving staying at Holiday Inn Express), but you should be fine with it for HD, but the 3/4 oz limit still applies. CS or CN tear gas should work too (though I believe studies suggest that pepper/OC works better on those under the influence of drugs). Either or, or both should be legal. In fact, the statute refers to them something along the line of chemicals designed to only cause temporary discomfort, so if they manage to come out with some new chemical concoction for less lethal use, you should be good to go.

Due to the interior setting, you may want to consider a foam or gel based spray, or at least a stream based spray, to minimize cross contamination. Last time I checked though, it was hard to find a gel or foam under 3/4 oz, presumably because the ingredients take up more volume.

I would stick with OC stream/spray in the 3/4oz size for the home.

Gel/foam works OK unless the bad guy is wearing glasses, then the spray works better. The gel/foam also makes it easier for your target to wipe it off and throw it back at you.... Ask me how I know...

If you need to use more than 3/4oz, it is time to move on to use something else. Those big canisters are for riot situations and large crowds.

http://www.defense-technology.com/pdfs/resources/First%20Aid%20and%20Decontamination%20Guidelines.pdf

Read and compare the above guidelines for decontamination and first aid of CS/CN and OC. Then decided which you would rather use in your home. Remember, you still have to live there after you open a can of "Satan's Piss" on someone.

Also, find out what the cops in your area carry, Mace (CN) or OC. That may be a clue as well to what works better. (hint: I bet it is OC ;))

If you don't have a gas mask to use, you may not want to be spraying CS/CN around your home. In addition to the bad guy, you will be affected, as well as any other family members, pets, first responders - Police, Fire, EMT, etc... The presence of CS/CN may delay that response.

You are right... The time to think about the criminal or civil suit that will surely follow is not during the incident. The time to think about what you will do on one of the worst days of your life and how your decisions will affect you and your family financially, emotionally, and privately is before it happens, just as we are doing now. That way, when something does happen, you are prepared to defend yourself and your loved ones properly, and with the least amount of negative consequences as possible.

If you had a home invader come into your house and catch you in your garage/storage shed/work room where you kept the wasp spray regularly, like a "reasonable person" - important phrase there when it comes to use of force - and then it was used, that's one thing. Keeping wasp spray next to your bed or near the front door, specifically to be used as a weapon, that's something else entirely.

Yes, DPF is DPF in defense of your life or that if a loved one. In the heat of the moment you grab what's available - frying pan, knife, rolling pin, book, flashlight, etc... and do what you have to do. Staging neurotoxins around your house is different than grabbing a steak knife as you are being assaulted.

We live in one of the most, if not the most, litigious state in the nation. We regularly shake our heads at what folks successfully sue for and are the amount of money they awarded. Sue because you didn't know your coffee was hot? Get millions. Sue because you got bit by a dog when you were breaking into someones house? Hundreds of thousands. All it takes is one scumbag attorney to say "I'll take that case" and you are in for years of pain and bankrupting lawyer fees - even if you are acquited.

Why on God's green Earth would you PLAN to do something that you know is going to cause you more trouble in the long run, when you can plan to do it the right way and save yourself some serious heartache down the road?

Dead on. Expressed better than I could've written it. If you have the opportunity to plan ahead, using it to pre-meditate a possibly criminal approach to self defense makes no sense.

Also consider a KelTec Sub 2000 in 9mm or 40. Uses standard pistol mag format, Glock, Berretta. Minimal recoil, folds in half and will do a lot more damage then a 22 or OC.

Weapons. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured,
transports, ships, sells or disposes of any weapon, including gravity knives, switchblade
knives, ballistic knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, billies, blackjacks, metal knuckles,
sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings, or,
except as otherwise provided in subsection i. of this section, in the case of firearms if
he is not licensed or registered to do so as provided in chapter 58, is guilty of a crime of
the fourth degree. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured,
transports, ships, sells or disposes of any weapon or other device which projects,
releases or emits tear gas or other substances intended to produce temporary physical
discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the
air, which is intended to be used for any purpose other than for authorized military or
law enforcement purposes by duly authorized military or law enforcement personnel or
the device is for the purpose of personal self-defense, is pocket-sized and contains not
more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of
lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, or other than to be used by any person
permitted to possess such weapon or device under the provisions of subsection d. of
N.J.S.2C:39-5, which is intended for use by financial and other business institutions as
part of an integrated security system, placed at fixed locations, for the protection of
money and property, by the duly authorized personnel of those institutions, is guilty of
a crime of the fourth degree.

Thank you everyone for the replies! PK90 I think you answered my question very well and I appreciate that. According to what you released it is illegal for me to use a large pepper spray in the home. I think I need to think of something else to keep my mom protected. I am curious does this law apply if you have a home business?

to be honest not sure how others feel but my opinion if you plan on using oc you should at the least spray some on a paper towel and put a drop on yourself to see how you react so you know whats coming. if its a career criminal you spray they will likely have felt it before and may fight through it. make sure you can do the same from the effects of it. again i don't recommend spraying yourself just make sure you realize the effects it will have on you also. we all think we will be fine, ive seen 1 guy get sprayed in a police academy and fall to the floor and crawl in a ball. if your going to do that you might be better off not using it and getting a firearm.

Try using wasp spray, it's accurate up to 30' away and hurts like hell.

At my old place of employment one of the managers thought that one of the guys was taking too long in the bathroom so he sprayed this under the door and almost killed the guy. He had to be taken to the hospital, the shit almost suffocated him.

At my old place of employment one of the managers thought that one of the guys was taking too long in the bathroom so he sprayed this under the door and almost killed the guy. He had to be taken to the hospital, the shit almost suffocated him.

That seems like an incredibly stupid idea.

Craziest shit I've read all day!!! Wow man I hope he sued the crap out of that idiot!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk