AS350Driver

Anyone make their own BBQ?

Back in the end of October I was down in Texas for work and had some great BBQ at a place called Hard Eight. I've always enjoyed good bbq, but it's not easy to get around here so I wanted to start making my own. I know there is another thread around here about where to get good bbq, but i've always enjoyed diy stuff. That's probably why I load my own ammo, make my own beer, and work on my own vehicles.

I bought a welder a couple of years ago and used it to make a welding table and some target stands. Work has kept be kinda busy being on call on the weekends, so I haven't been able to shoot in matches or on my own that much. I wanted a good weekend project since I can't venture too far from home when i'm on call, so I started building a smoker. 

Here's my progress so far, i'll update as I get further along.

Had some leftover square tubing, so I cut it, cleaned it and started tacking it together.

11593826866_4f2bd0601c.jpg

11593246013_190e1b45c3.jpg

11593034065_a302f53bbd.jpg

Went to Fazzios and got a load of steel and casters, spent Saturday cutting it and got the casters on.

11593832986_54cd2bb50e.jpg

11612430145_73a2d87cfd.jpg

11635535325_533ca22ced.jpg

Started putting the firebox together.

11670763854_51aceaba1a.jpg

It's going to be a vertical cooking chamber with an offset firebox.

Anyone else ever build their own smoker? If so post up some pics, or if you own one post'em.

Never built my own, but will post my smoker tomorrow due to alcohol activity after work tonight lol.

I LOVE bbq as well, and am a huge fan of smoked meat. Haven't got to smoke any meat this year been so busy but my good friend from Australia I believe is coming down in march, and I'm sure him and me will be bringing out the smoker and doing that.

Can't wait to see your ending results!

I have a store bought 82" grill that does propane on one end and seals of a charcoal chamber on the other. It has an offset smoker that worked alright when I got it. I made some adjustments to seal everything better, and to direct the heat better also. The biggest problem with an offset fire box, is even displacement of the heat into the meat chamber. In September I had my last barbeque of the year and smoked 37lbs of different meats. I make my own dry rubs, marinades, barbeque, wing, and hot sauce all from scratch...right down to my pickling my home grown jalapenos.

We used to make them out of 55 and 35 gallon cans, basically cut them in half and added some expanded metal for a grate. 

Something about charcoal that gives everything better flavor!

That's going to be a nice pit when you get it done. I did not build mine but I've own a a fare share of them. My current pit is a Klose.

With all I've learned from the different manufacturers and how I like to cook, I have my dream list of options.. If I could weld worth a damn, I'd have built one too...

While building think of these things: insulated firebox. Line it with firebrick so it can maintains low temps for longer. You might want to also insulate the cooking chamber as well. Make sure you have good draft control. While the chimney is WFO, the intake needs a good range of control to throttle the heat. I assume you are going for a stick burner? Consider these suggestions. Build a charcoal basket to fit in your firebox. Makes long sessions easier without adding coal or wood. Build it so it burns coals in the minion method. S shaped. Also, consider adding a baffle between the firebox and main cooking chamber, if you can make this adjustable, it will be much easier to control the cooking chamber temps. Make sure the cooking chamber door has gaskets or you'll lose precious heat..

You might want to build a stainless ash pan for the firebox so it doesn't rust out on you.

Oh yea. Dimple the bottom of the cooking chamber and stick a 3 inch ball valve on it for easy grease removal!

I got some of these options on my Klose..and they were worth every penny.

Good luck and post more pics as you build it!

Reduck, thanks for all the suggestions. I already have plans on the drain, charcoal basket, and the baffle. I started with my cooking chamber size and put it through a pit calculator to get other dimensions, here's a link to the calculator, http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

As far as the build goes, the snow and snow removal this morning before work kept me from doing anything to it. Tomorrow is out for me due to having to go into work for most of the afternoon, so I won't be touching it until Sunday at the earliest.

Nice man...thats BAD ASS! I recently started up a little BBQ sauce business. JTM's Homemade BBQ...Portion of the proceeds go to benefit children and adults with Autism. Website/online ordering coming soon! Site is being built but can get to Facebook, email etc from http://jtmbbq.com

/post-3241-0-09616900-1389067993_thumb.jpg

Big Green Egg all the way. It's extremely versatile. i use it for everything from standard bbq to smoking to dutch oven cooking to Thanksgiving turkey to pizza making. As the BGE cookbook says, it turns my oven into an expensive storage space.

I have the large, but if you're planning to do high volume bbq/smoking, I'd recommend the extra large. The cooking area on the large is kind of small. When I do a 16 hour smoke, I'd like to do it in quantity.

I've been eying up the Big Green Egg...glad to see some + reviews!

Joe, what flavors are you going to have?

Right now I have "Original" great balance between sweet and heat for all...this year I'll be experimenting with a couple diff kinds to expand on. I have a couple in mind, I'm open to ideas as well.

Sorry to hijack, but reduck I have a question for you. I noticed my door on my smoker has a decent gap now when I shut it, do you recommend anything I can put on door to seal that space so I do not lose any smoke/heat?

I've been eying up the Big Green Egg...glad to see some + reviews!

Right now I have "Original" great balance between sweet and heat for all...this year I'll be experimenting with a couple diff kinds to expand on. I have a couple in mind, I'm open to ideas as well.

Sesame Ginger

Curry

Sorry to hijack, but reduck I have a question for you. I noticed my door on my smoker has a decent gap now when I shut it, do you recommend anything I can put on door to seal that space so I do not lose any smoke/heat?

I've seen a lot of guys who use this. http://www.lowes.com/pd_67624-85334-GA0187_?PL=1&productId=1192627

Awesome thanks guys! Might be dumb question but should I use that on the inside of door were it touches the outside of smoker (so I would have to do the whole door) or do the inside of door where the gasket will be inside smoker but blocking the hole (meaning door will sit as normal) if that makes sense?

I used this on my BGE after immediately burning the factory wool gasket. It's held up fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Nomex-Gasket-Adhesive-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004MNW1TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389128046&sr=8-1&keywords=big+green+egg+gasket