AS350Driver

Anyone make their own BBQ?

I have a big green egg and cook on it 3-4 times a week, it produces the best BBQ I ever had.

Also have a BGE and love it. In fact, just smoked pork belly that was curing for a week. Let the bacon flow!

No, it's gonna get some paint, probably some high heat bbq paint basic black.

i'm sure you know this but you need to paint pits warm. Heat it all up to op temp, then let the fire die and remove all ash. clean off with odorless mineral spirits, then your choice of bbq paint.

once it dries out, do a few more coats while its warm ...heat it up gently again, then oil it down with peanut or canola oil especially the firebox . really makes a dif in the paint adhesion and subsequent flexibility. its amazing how much oil they soak up.

then oil it up again and cure it with a sacrificial chicken! 

I reoil mine at least 3 times a year post cooking. Still looks new..

i'm sure you know this but you need to paint pits warm. Heat it all up to op temp, then let the fire die and remove all ash. clean off with odorless mineral spirits, then your choice of bbq paint.

once it dries out, do a few more coats while its warm ...heat it up gently again, then oil it down with peanut or canola oil especially the firebox . really makes a dif in the paint adhesion and subsequent flexibility. its amazing how much oil they soak up.

then oil it up again and cure it with a sacrificial chicken!

I reoil mine at least 3 times a year post cooking. Still looks new..

And some bacon, because let's face it, everything is better with bacon.

Didn't build my own but I have an AWESOME western Carolina sauce recipe (mustard based instead of ketchup and it DOES carry a kick).

I use a Brinkmann vertical for direct smoke and for indirect, I took an old gas grille, gutted it and used sheet metal to divide it in two...wood/coals on the right, meat on the left. And, thanks to SS Sandy, I have plenty of maple to smoke with.

I'm even willing to share my BBQ recipe....

Western Carolina BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

1 cup prepared yellow mustard

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup light brown sugar

3/4 cup cider vinegar

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon white pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Preparation:

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.

I also inject the meat with a 3:1 mixture of apple juice and bourbon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used an injector that I picked up @ BJ's. The body was plastic and cracked after a few trips thru the dishwasher. I would recommend spending the extra money for a stainless one...can usually be found at kitchen stores.

Another good flavor addition is to make slits in the meat about 1" deep (poke a knife blade straight in about 1") and put in a clove of pickled garlic and 1 banana pepper ring. Put them about 2"-3" apart all over one side of the meat (I use pork butt). If you have trouble finding pickled garlic, let me know...my mom pickles and cans it in 1/2 pint jars and I have about 3/4 case that I'll share.

As a big fan of BBQ'ing/smoking, very cool thread. Don't wanna hijack, but since it's a related matter, anyone ever make their own charcoal? I'd never given it a thought, but after reading some articles, I guess all you really need is a 55 gallon drum, something to keep the wood in without letting air get in, and a fire. It's also cheaper than buying it, I suppose, but that's not really my main motivation. Just seems like something cool to try.

As a big fan of BBQ'ing/smoking, very cool thread. Don't wanna hijack, but since it's a related matter, anyone ever make their own charcoal? I'd never given it a thought, but after reading some articles, I guess all you really need is a 55 gallon drum, something to keep the wood in without letting air get in, and a fire. It's also cheaper than buying it, I suppose, but that's not really my main motivation. Just seems like something cool to try.

$8 or so for quality charcoal. :)

After spending some time in Saarbrücken Germany on work trips, I got to experience German BBQing.   Most people in Saarland use a Schwenker grill.  It is a little different concept in that the grate is held suspended over the charcoal box and is essentially open air.  You raise and lower the grate via a crank.  The sausages were fantastic this way.  A co-worker here in the US has been building one for himself after enjoying it and once he's done, he'll probably start selling high-end stainless steel rigs.   The ones I saw were not an A-frame tripod like google images shows...they were either a candy cane deal with a crank, or built as part of a custom grill house and the chain hung from the ceiling and was lowered via a crank on the side.

Like this one although not quite as fancy.

schwenkgrill-grill-schwenker.jpg