AS350Driver

Anyone make their own BBQ?

My brother has an Egg and yes you can slow cook on it, with great results.

I've done pork butts overnight for 16-20 hours at 225* with one load of good charcoal. Never having to open the lid. Ceramics are awesome.

After spending some time in Saarbrücken Germany on work trips, I got to experience German BBQing.   Most people in Saarland use a Schwenker grill.  It is a little different concept in that the grate is held suspended over the charcoal box and is essentially open air.  You raise and lower the grate via a crank.  The sausages were fantastic this way.  A co-worker here in the US has been building one for himself after enjoying it and once he's done, he'll probably start selling high-end stainless steel rigs.   The ones I saw were not an A-frame tripod like google images shows...they were either a candy cane deal with a crank, or built as part of a custom grill house and the chain hung from the ceiling and was lowered via a crank on the side.

Like this one although not quite as fancy.

schwenkgrill-grill-schwenker.jpg

That's what I grilled on when I visit Norway.....the tripod with a cast iron bowl to hold either charcoal or wood and a grill surface that is either hand cranked or just slotted over it. I took back a Lodge dutch oven last trip and now my brother cooks just about anything over wood with it. Also helps with the big,slow but persistent mosquitoes over there.

That one is pretty damn fancy though..........

Can you slow cook on it? Good BBQ requires like 8-10 hours.

you can do anything on it, you can slow cook from 175 degrees for 20 hrs or sear a steak at 900 degrees. Go on the big green egg forum, I think you will be very impressed. I am actually thinking of buying another one so I can slow cook on one and use the other for other types of cooks at the same time. I did a ham last weekend that was amazing.

Has any of you ever made a smoker from a food grade steel drum?

I've been very interested in doing a project like that.

I've never done it, but i've seen many examples all over the internet. Check BBQ Brethren, or smoker builder. Both of those forums have loads of info.

They call them a UDS, or Ugly Drum Smoker.

I've seen a few of those sites. Does anyone know where I can get an unlined steel drum? I've done some searching on Google but there were no good results.

Id also be interested. I started smoking this year on my weber kettle grill. Its possible, just labor intensive.