Pizza Bob

627-4 PC Before and After

We all like to personalize our guns with the goal usually being aesthetics or function or both. I recently acquired a S&W 627-4 PC that is chambered in .38 Super. I intend to use this under the new USPSA revolver rules that allow 8-shot revolvers (to be scored Minor). I posted some pictures on the forum of the gun in the "as received" condition, I'll repeat that here...

52an1s.jpg

mip279.jpg

Here are the after pics...

20szplz.jpg

fk9vfo.jpg

The differences are:

Hogue Big Butt rubber/wood, finger-groove grips

California Competition Works extended cylinder release

Comp changed out for muzzle cap

Dawson .100" front fiber optic sight

LPA rear target sight

I like the rear sight so much that I am changing to it on two of my other revolvers that I use in IDPA.

Don't forget Shongum on 2/1 and the revolver extravaganza. See you there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Looks sweet!  I think the only problem you might have is learning to count to 8, lol!  Good luck with her Bob!

Dave

You're right. I am so conditioned to think in groups of 6 shots that I'll probably reload after 6 and dump 2 live rounds on the ground. At least I don't have to take off my shoes to count that high.

Bobby,

LPA vs Weigand - GO!

Weigand simply replaces the blade. If not done properly the blade will be loose. Since it is a blade replacement only, you are still using the adjustability mechanism of the OE sight, which, IMHO, is not the greatest. The blade is aluminum - not steel, so somewhat vulnerable. All that being said, I intend to keep my Weigand blade on my 625-8.

The LPA sight is all steel. The adjustments are more positive than the OE sights. The quality is there - fits the gun precisely. I like it so much I just ordered two more for my IDPA guns (646 & 586).

HTH

Adios,

Bob

We all like to personalize our guns with the goal usually being aesthetics or function or both. I recently acquired a S&W 627-4 PC that is chambered in .38 Super. I intend to use this under the new USPSA revolver rules that allow 8-shot revolvers (to be scored Minor). I posted some pictures on the forum of the gun in the "as received" condition, I'll repeat that here...

Here are the after pics...

20szplz.jpg

The differences are:

Hogue Big Butt rubber/wood, finger-groove grips

California Competition Works extended cylinder release

Comp changed out for muzzle cap

Dawson .100" front fiber optic sight

LPA rear target sight

I like the rear sight so much that I am changing to it on two of my other revolvers that I use in IDPA.

Don't forget Shongum on 2/1 and the revolver extravaganza. See you there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Did you take the comp out so you wouldn't be put in an 'Open' division?  

Looks great.  Probably shoots awesome.

So how long will it be before there's a model 69 in your ever expanding stable?

I've got no interest in a 5 shot .44 Magnum. Can't think of a use for such a gun. For SD, a 696 would be a better choice. If you're hunting, you really aren't constrained by size or weight, so you are better off with a 6 shot, larger gun. So what possible purpose does a 5 shot, medium frame, .44 Magnum have?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@tony357 - Thanks

no moon clip cuts?

Mike,

You've been shooting bottom-feeders too long. LOL. Being a semi-rimmed cartridge (essentially rimless), you need moon clips so that you can positively headspace the cartridges and eject the empties. I think you must be looking for the rebate that leaves a rim around the outside circumference of the cylinder. This would only be present if the gun was chambered for a rimmed cartridge and you wanted the capability of shooting it with or without moon clips. Since this is chambered for .38 Super the back of the cylinder is flush - just as it is on a 625 chambered in .45 ACP. 

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Mike,

You've been shooting bottom-feeders too long. LOL. Being a semi-rimmed cartridge (essentially rimless), you need moon clips so that you can positively headspace the cartridges and eject the empties. I think you must be looking for the rebate that leaves a rim around the outside circumference of the cylinder. This would only be present if the gun was chambered for a rimmed cartridge and you wanted the capability of shooting it with or without moon clips. Since this is chambered for .38 Super the back of the cylinder is flush - just as it is on a 625 chambered in .45 ACP. 

Adios,

Pizza Bob

LOL,  not sure what I was thinking.  If you need super brass, let me know.  I have new starline brass

LOL,  not sure what I was thinking.  If you need super brass, let me know.  I have new starline brass

Thanks, Mike, I appreciate the offer, but I haven't reloaded since 1991. Moved into a new house and never set-up my reloading equipment  - someday I'll start up again, although my presses will be antiques.

See you at Shongum - bring a wheelie.

Adios,

Pizza Bob