Nucrunner

ALWAYS Keep your Finger Off the trigger until ready to shoot

As menacing as this photo of Central African Armed Forces soldier is, he's got his finger off the trigger until he's ready to shoot

ALWAYS Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction

ALWAYS Keep your Finger Off the trigger until ready to shoot

ALWAYS Keepthe gun unloaded until ready to use

post-6977-0-28453900-1388969728_thumb.jpg

The photo of that monster holding a rifle is truly frightening.

I'm referring, of course, to the photo in post #3...

I couldn't agree more..and it is definitely more frightning thyen the first picture, in more ways than one!

Saw this picture, the finger off the trigger just kinda jumped out at me,

First though on my mind was the rules posted at my shooting range, didn't think about it much more than that.

You need to think about it more than that. We all do. Losing the "Range mentality" is something every gun owner has to work on.

The range is the range. The world is the world. Don't carry that range mentality into the world. That guy in the photo is clearly not at "the range".

There is no "cold line" on the real world, no downrange, no safe direction, no RO. Firearms safety applies always, just realize the limitations of range behavior and know when the range ends and real world begins.

"ALWAYS Keep the gun unloaded until ready to use" is fine and good on the range, depending on you definition of "ready to use" it can be detrimental to winning fight.

It's not 5.45? We need to black mail one of her aids to hand her a loaded gun one of these day. It would be priceless if she offed someone at a press conference.

Yeah because random dead people in a news conference is funny and hilarious. Oh wait, no it isn't.  Just because our enemies are sociopath idiots, that is no reason for us to portray ourselves exactly as they want us to be portrayed,

Yeah because random dead people in a news conference is funny and hilarious. Oh wait, no it isn't. Just because our enemies are sociopath idiots, that is no reason for us to portray ourselves exactly as they want us to be portrayed,

This.

If she put one in the ceiling I'd laugh though.

Yeah because random dead people in a news conference is funny and hilarious. Oh wait, no it isn't.  Just because our enemies are sociopath idiots, that is no reason for us to portray ourselves exactly as they want us to be portrayed,

I for one would not miss a member of the liberal elite media.

Maybe we could shorten it to one rule: 

1. Avoid handling a firearm in any way that should give people the wrong impression.

From rule number one, a reasonable person will consider the following:

• the direction the muzzle is pointed in
  • the appropriateness of the time during which the firearm is loaded
  • where the trigger finger lies and when.

<p>

Maybe we could shorten it to one rule:

• Avoid handling a firearm in any way that should give people the wrong impression.
From rule number one, a reasonable person will consider the following:

• the direction the muzzle is pointed in
  • the appropriateness of the time during which the firearm is loaded
  • where the trigger finger lies and when.
The above would apply very well on the range. I don't think they would translate very well under real world use/self defense conditions.

Firearms safety is about much more than the four cardinal rules. Once you banish the "Range mentality" and you realize that there is a significant difference between unsafe and dangerous the four traditional rules are very effective, easy to follow, and work well even in real world use under stress.

That does not mean that at the range you can be footloose and carefree, playing hard and fast with the rules. It just means that during a true critical incident, priorities shift: safe direction may become safest direction, keeping weapons unloaded is obviously counter-indicated, pointing a firearm at an unknown may be proper, once it goes loud keeping your finger off the trigger may change depending on the task at hand (your post engagement sequence is an example of this) etc...