GregV

P2P Process Red Lion NJSP

Getting ready to submit the paper work for 3 P2P's. Went online filled out form STS 033. Anybody aware of the process? Last time (before the BS) I walked in handed the Trooper paperwork and a check then left. Somebody told me the process has changed?

Anybody aware of any changes?

Thanks in advance.

There is one additional form that you have to get from the NJSP in addition to STS 033 and you may need to bring a copy of your birth certificate and the original or a sealed copy and the $$$ for the background check (I think it is $18) and $2 for each permit.  I think that is all.

The only "requirements" in the law are:

* Form STS-033: Application for FID/P2P

* Some PD's may want two copies, others just need one copy.
* $2/permit (my town wants cash AFTER permits are approved and picked up)

* Form SP-066: Consent for Mental Health Records Search

* Do NOT sign until witnessed in person at the PD

* Form SBI-212A: Criminal History Record

* Get YELLOW form in person at local PD or info regarding the online application.
* Money order/cashier's check for $18 payable to "NJSP, SBI" if doing paper, otherwise pay online (I think $20)

Anything above and beyond that should be met with a copy of the recent court decision about PD's not being allowed to tag on additional requirements.

The only "requirements" in the law are:

* Form STS-033: Application for FID/P2P

* $2/permit (my town wants cash AFTER permits are approved and picked up)

* Form SP-066: Consent for Mental Health Records Search

* Do NOT sign until witnessed in person at the PD

* Get YELLOW form in person at local PD or info regarding the online application.

* Money order/cashier's check for $18 payable to "NJSP, SBI" if doing paper, otherwise pay online (I think $20)

Anything above and beyond that should be met with a copy of the recent court decision about PD's not being allowed to tag on additional requirements.

What he said.  No additional paper work! It's illegal 

The URL for the on-line form is:    NJ SBI 212A e-Form. And it is $20.00. Not all depts. have converted to it yet, so I'd check with the given chief. or NJSP barracks.

Thanks guys...........all I remember from the last time I got P2P's was it was a very easy process, took time to get, but was a simple process. The Trooper was very friendly and helpful. I'll have all paperwork completes prior to going and will hope the experience is the same. Thanks for the help.

I actually apply directly to NJSP in Sussex (it seems consistent across NJSP barracks) and this is what they require:

Completed STS-33 (application) and SP-66 (mental health) forms. DO NOT SIGN your forms. You will sign them at the station.

FPID card

photo ID (driver license)

Proof of citizenship (birth or naturalization certificate or US passport)

Check or money order for the permit fees ($2 per permit, can be on a single check of m.o.)

Stamped envelopes addressed to your references.

In Sussex you need to call the sgt and make an appointment. I believe other barracks may require that.

At your appointment the sgt or a trooper will let you sign the forms, take them, photocopy your proof of citizenship, FPID and photo ID.

Once your paperwork is submitted, if you don't need fingerprints they tell you to go online and order your background check. They'll give you a sheet with instructions. This replaces the SB212A SBI paper form. If you need fingerprints they'll give you instructions on how to go to sagem morpho and do it.

You do not pay $18 at the barracks. You pay $20 online. If you are getting fingerprinted, you pay sagem morpho directly.

Be warned that it's taking 6 months to issue permits at NJSP. It's ridiculous, I know.

RyanJ: do you have concrete examples of others who waited 6 months through NJSP and the Trenton FIU? My friend got his in November after 8 weeks through the Hope barracks. But my wife is into week 25 through Sussex. And I have good evidence to suggest that the holdup is NOT at Sussex Station and Sgt. W. et al.

It seems like the FIU is not necessarily doing first-in, first-out. But I can't get any concrete facts to back that up. I'm going to file a formal complaint at week 26.

RyanJ: do you have concrete examples of others who waited 6 months through NJSP and the Trenton FIU? My friend got his in November after 8 weeks through the Hope barracks. But my wife is into week 25 through Sussex. And I have good evidence to suggest that the holdup is NOT at Sussex Station and Sgt. W. et al.

It seems like the FIU is not necessarily doing first-in, first-out. But I can't get any concrete facts to back that up. I'm going to file a formal complaint at week 26.

I have waited just shy of 6 months (5 months 3 weeks) for my FID change of address and last 2 P2Ps from the Hamilton NJSP.

Thanx JM. That would match up with my wife's experience, assuming she gets hers next week!

To be fair, and FYI, we both applied on the same day in July for permits. At the 18 week mark I applied for a MHE and pointed out that the permits were taking a lot longer than I anticipated, and that for a variety of reasons I could really use the permits by 11/30. And I received my permits and approved MHE on 11/27. So they didn't ignore my request and did issue my permits as I requested. So the FIU was accommodating and responsive in that respect. (OK, I shouldn't have had to wait 18 weeks to begin with.)

Then we sent another letter on 12/4 basically asking what's the hold up, if permits through the Hope barracks only took 8 weeks? No answer to that one.

This is one instance I really wish I had a contact inside the FIU who would tell me the straight dope on why some permits take forever, and others (while still too long) don't.

A couple people in NJ2AS on Facebook have been waiting 5-6 months through various NJSP barracks. Also just yesterday I was talking to one of the people I was working with at the GSOSS NJ2AS booth and he said it took 5 months for him out of Sussex.