checko

Need someone to help me make sense of Safariland holsters

Ok, heres the deal, I want a duty holster for my ppq with light, preferably level II or above.  

Here's the will fit chart for light bearing guns:

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/info/willfit/PT%203_09_27_13_Duty%20Tactical%20holsters%20with%20Lights-Pistols.pdf

It shows P99Q/PPQ WILL fit in 10 holsters with my TLR-1. 

Ok, I cant find any mention anywhere or model 3842.  Doesn't seem to exist.  I was looking for a 6360-3842 or 6365-3842.   If I read this correctly, this holster will be a level III retention holster with mid ride or low ride that will accomodate a weapon mounted light.  

All the pictures of the 6360 or 6365 I see will NOT accomodate a WML.  I did, however, find this:

http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Retention-Holster-Mid-Ride-Walther/dp/B0016AX4B0/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1389334308&sr=1-3&keywords=safariland+walther

Which seems to me like it is a 6360, for P99 that WILL accomodate the light.  

Am I correct in this assumption, and should I order it. 

(I'm probably going to call safariland tomorrow if I get a chance but maybe one of you guys can help me understand.)

Safariand is not always so great updating their website. There are quite a few holsters out there that aren't on their website.

Call Safariland for sure. Another good call to make is to ATS or Grey Group. They have helped me few times. Avoid Optics Planet if possible. They always seem to mess up my orders and their CS pisses me off.

Safariand is not always so great updating their website.

Call Safariland for sure. Another good call to make is to ATS or Grey Group. They have helped me few times. Avoid Optics Planet if possible. They always seem to mess up my orders and their CS pisses me off.

I do plan to. But is my reading flawed here? If its on that chart it should hold a light no?

I do think Safariland needs a come to Jesus talk about the complexity of their lineup. I'm all for variety, but whenever I try to buy one of their products I feel like I'm rummaging through one of those huge discount DVD pallets that electronics stores used to have, with everything mixed in.

I do think Safariland needs a come to Jesus talk about the complexity of their lineup. I'm all for variety, but whenever I try to buy one of their products I feel like I'm rummaging through one of those huge discount DVD pallets that electronics stores used to have, with everything mixed in.

Jelley Beans..

im not sure if its much help.  but i remember going to a store called atlantic tactical supply.  its not terribly far from you (exit 10 off of 287) and they had a ton of safari land in stock.  you could talk to them and possibly at least see the different models and maybe they can order one for you.  as they are police supply I'm sure they have a lot of models for like glock or whatever but at least you can get a hands on look

I did the smart thing, called up safariland.  They do, in fact, have a 6365-3842 designed to fit the ppq with trl-1 light.  They only one they had at the moment was basketweave but at that point I didn't care haha.  Put the order in and hopefully it will get to me soon so I can try it and make sure it works. 

Thanks guys. 

HE, do you still recommend the QLS or should the low ride be enough clearance?

It wouldnt be so bad if the holster finder on their website was updated. Makes it easy enough but if its out of date it can be useless.

I did the smart thing, called up safariland.  They do, in fact, have a 6365-3842 designed to fit the ppq with trl-1 light.  They only one they had at the moment was basketweave but at that point I didn't care haha.  Put the order in and hopefully it will get to me soon so I can try it and make sure it works. 

Thanks guys. 

HE, do you still recommend the QLS or should the low ride be enough clearance?

I would like to hear your review when you get it. You have an M-1 right?

Most 3gun gear setups are now based around ELS mounted pouches so you can move around handgun/rifle/shotgun ammo carriers were you need them for each stage. I'm still working on getting mine configured,

Well yeah, that makes sense.

I would like to hear your review when you get it. You have an M-1 right?

Definitely will put one up. I have had nothing but good recommendations of the safariland holsters but Ive seen some issues with the fitting of a ppq. My hope is that since it is now on their site specifically for the ppq that I will have good results.

Things I'm curious to find out is if it will secure the weapon without the light attached, and if it will secure correctly with the modified key I use for my trl-1. I modified it to reduce the gap between trigger guard and the on/off switch on the light.

Worse comes to worst I can put the correct key back on and use it like that.

Got the holster in. Fits the ppq like a glove! Tightened nicely around the gun with a positive locking "click". Light fits in perfectly, even with the mod I used for the rail key. So far very happy with this purchase.

IMG_20140121_140331_zpszeuynom6.jpg

I also used the qls system HE recommended. Worked like a charm and gave extra room to clear my chest rig/plate carrier that my prior serpa did not.
IMG_20140121_140507757_zpscrkq9sv8.jpg

The retention system is definitely different, and will require some practice for me to be proficient. I do keep in mind this is a level III as opposed to my level II serpa.

All in all I would definitely recommend Safariland.

ETA After practicing some draws and adjusting the holster, its much easier for me to  clear the holster.  One thing that concerns me a bit is that on a natrual draw, my index finger sits directly on the trigger after the draw.  I have to make a conscious effort to ride my finger high on the hoster, but even then, sometimes the hood guard directs my finger back into the wrong area. Ironic that my serpa never had this issue.  I'll keep on hit an see what happens. 

Oh and it does lock without the light attached.

Note: Only the ALS models will securely lock with/without the light attached. Since you have both the ALS and SLS retention, I wanted to point out that if you solely had the SLS your weapon (without a light) would be bouncing around.