Sign in to follow this  
MidwestPX

15/30 Magpul AK PMAG - Now Available

Thanks guys. A couple early designs just didn't work out the way I had hoped. Some designs weren't conducive to high volume production while others were cost prohibitive. I'm fairly confident in the new approach and as soon as new materials arrive on Monday, the design will be dialed in and prototypes sent out to be tested.

Test fit so far in Century, Arsenal and IO guns. Load against a closed bolt just fine in all three however the IO does take a little fitting which can be accomplished by inserting and removing the mag a couple times. This has nothing to do with the modification as even unmodified, right from the wrapper factory AK PMAGs require the same fitting. Test firing commencing this week. Assuming all goes as planned, we'll start shipping to dealers soon after.

Ty will the price point be similar to your 15rd cut pmags?

Right now, the plan is to be in-line with the non-window AR15 M3 line at $21.95 MSRP while the cut-down AR15 mags are $23.50. And before anyone asks, at this time, there's no plan to make a cut-down AK PMAG.

Final testing is complete. The first dealer shipments are going out on Monday so they'll be in NJ stores by the end of the week. If we have anything left over once dealer orders are processed, they'll be available directly from the webstore. After units consumed in testing, we still have over 500 host magazines to modify so hopefully we'll have enough for everyone.

Now available: http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?products_id=832

These are designed to load against a closed bolt fully loaded since making ready with the AK47 requires it.

Based on reports from testers, owners of Inter Ordnance AK47s may need to "fit" the magazine to the magwell simply the inserting and extracting. This is not due to the modifications made by us but rather tolerance issues between the rifle and the magazine. Testers reported that Inter Ordnance rifles required "fitting" with factory-fresh, unmodified PMAGs.

Lol... not sure how much cheaper these would get...

Unfortunately, it costs significantly more to make these than AR PMAGs and I almost decided against wholesaling these to dealers.  The only way I could make it work was to create 500-1000 blocks at a time and hold those on-hand (which in material cost turned out to cost double what was originally forecasted).  The blocks also take significantly longer to make than those used in the AR PMAGs.  I may look at doubling the production capacity (twice the tooling cost) just to be able to knock these out faster in the future.

My first order will be here today. Ordered on Friday, arrived on Sunday and out for delivery today. Cant wait. Also not having any issue with the website or link. 

My mag came in today and man what a beauty. Fits really tight in my Saiga after doing a bit of filing to the mag release. Cant wait to get this out to the range and order some more. 

Edited by JDemented

I got my three magazines... all fit in my WASR, but none will feed with 15 rounds from a closed bolt. Not enough room for the rounds to go back in the magazine, and hangs up the bolt to the point where you have to pull the magazine to get it free.

Shot of the scratches on ammo.

Posted Image

And what I'm dealing with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Put 14 in, feeds fine. The 15th doesn't have more than a 1/16" of play for the bolt to push down. Definitely won't get the 16th round in, but wanted the 15 to fit.

Guess there isn't anything I can do, since they are permanently pinned.

There should be 0.085" of play between loading #15 and where the follower hits the block which is supposed to be enough room to seat a full mag and charge the rifle. I just grabbed three random mags and tested them in a CAI NPAP.  All three had a scratched first round but charged.  If you want, I can swap your mags out for ones that have been tested?