Sign in to follow this  
revenger

Required ID for ammo purchase

What ID is required to purchase ammo in NJ,   DL?,  FID?  both?      or is it the policy of each store to require certain ID.

Reason I ask is my FID shows my former address,  will that matter for ammo purchases.

Thanks

I've purchased some ammo at dick's recently - they require both.

I've only purchased birdshot a Dick's, but all they required of me was to answer whether or not I was over 18 on their electronic scanner. I did not have to show either ID.  This is the Dick's in Rockaway NJ.

What ID is required to purchase ammo in NJ,   DL?,  FID?  both?      or is it the policy of each store to require certain ID.

Reason I ask is my FID shows my former address,  will that matter for ammo purchases.

Thanks

Looking at your home range at the left of your post I think there are some decent sources of ammo in PA.

Heritage Guild normally has a decent selection of ammo. Judging by 9mm, they sometimes run out of the cheapest ones like Blazer Brass 115gr, but I've never bought anything in excess of $16-$17 per box of target 9mm there.

~10 minutes to the north from Heritage Guild there is Walmart. YMMV here, but out of 3-4 times I've been there it has been only once when they had no 9mm at all. Several weeks ago I picked 3 boxes of Winchester (100 rds each) for $27 or so. They also have plenty of 223 there. I haven't investigated other calibers as I don't need them yet :-)

There is another Walmart closer to Allentown, PA, but also in less than 10 miles from Heritage Guild.

And - the pleasant thing - in most cases no ID will be required at all :-)

This was the Dick's in Brick. Had my FID out, and he said he needed DL too. Don't recall anywhere else ever asking for it, but they had 22, and I had a gift card - wasn't about to argue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could it have been someone "unsure" of your age and "carding" you? :)

I look pretty "old & ugly..."  :D

Per 2C:58-3.3 FID, permit to purchase hangun or valid permit to carry handgun.

2C:58-3.3. "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun. "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

b.     No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

c.     No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of handgun ammunition to a person who is under 21 years of age.

d.     The provisions of this section shall not apply to a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics who purchases, receives, acquires, possesses, or transfers handgun ammunition which is recognized as being historical in nature or of historical significance.

e.     A person who violates this section shall be guilty of a crime of the fourth degree, except that nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit the sale, transfer, assignment or disposition of handgun ammunition to or the purchase, receipt or acceptance of ammunition by a law enforcement agency or law enforcement official for law enforcement purposes.

f.     Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of ammunition for use in a lawfully transferred firearm in accordance with the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1992, c.74 (C.2C:58-3.1), section 1 of P.L.1997, c.375 (C.2C:58-3.2) or section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179 (C.2C:58-6.1).

g.     Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the sale of a de minimis amount of handgun ammunition at a firearms range operated by a licensed dealer; a law enforcement agency; a legally recognized military organization; or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent for immediate use at that range.

Dick's seems to make up the policy as they see fit.  I have been asked for FID only, FID and DL and only DL with no rhyme or reason.  Mind you I only go to Dick's now if I really, really need the ammo cna can't get it on line or through one of my LGSs.

Each time I purchase ammo from Dicks and they ask for anything that is outside the actual law (i.e. FID for potential handgun ammo) I firmly inform them that this is not the law and ask why they are asking, they typically reply that it is company policy and I remind them that it is corporate decisions such as this that will drive patrons such as myself to do business elsewhere, and since I typically spend exponentially more on non-shooting merchandise that they will lose quite a bit of business from people such as me.

And then the minimum wage store clerk gets a blank stare and shrugs his shoulders. He could care less and you will be back. :drag:

You are 100% correct on the first part, but even there I almost always get to speak to a "somewhat above minimum wage" store manager, but I agree it probably goes nowhere. 

To the second point, I used to buy all of my family's athletic equipment form Dicks and with 3 children in a multitude of competitive sports (one daughter on a showcase girl's softball team) I used to spend several thousand dollars a year at Dicks.  I think I spent $70 or less last year and part of that was for .243 ammo that I needed for the weekend.  If I go there once or twice a year now that is it.

And to think that one of my HS Teachers brought hand gun ammo into school one day and gave it to me as a gift!

I remember in 5th grade my teacher brought his bow in to show us his hobby. I'd love to see him try this today even tho this was only 12 years ago. Hey maybe he's on here! Anyone a teacher from hillside in bridgewater?

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

And to think that one of my HS Teachers brought hand gun ammo into school one day and gave it to me as a gift!

The list of things teachers got away with in my school days that would get them banned for life today!

My HS chemistry teacher, as part of teaching "Organic Chem." put on the classroom peg board the formula for THC, (an alcohol) and it's more potent "acid" variant ("Acapulco Gold") as examples of complex organic compounds.

The list of things teachers got away with in my school days that would get them banned for life today!

My HS chemistry teacher, as part of teaching "Organic Chem." put on the classroom peg board the formula for THC, (an alcohol) and it's more potent "acid" variant ("Acapulco Gold") as examples of complex organic compounds.

When we dissected small pigs for an anatomy class, our anatomy teacher decided to have a "pigs in space" show.  We were on the second floor and there was a class with new English teacher directly below us.  When we were done with the dissection we basically turned the pigs into "puppets", dressed them is tin foil costumes and dangled them out our window down to the first floor windows.  The class below us completely freaked out watching dissected pigs flying around outside their window.

Looking back, I loved our math and science teachers, stunts llike this taught us it was OK to push boundaries and go a little over the top.

When we dissected small pigs for an anatomy class, our anatomy teacher decided to have a "pigs in space" show.  We were on the second floor and there was a class with new English teacher directly below us.  When we were done with the dissection we basically turned the pigs into "puppets", dressed them is tin foil costumes and dangled them out our window down to the first floor windows.  The class below us completely freaked out watching dissected pigs flying around outside their window.

Looking back, I loved our math and science teachers, stunts llike this taught us it was OK to push boundaries and go a little over the top.

Sounds like "Wild Bill" Brooks' (a chemistry teacher when I was at Phila's Central HS in the early 70's) homeroom (which happened to be in a Chem Lab room) where one morning, before Mr Brooks came in, the students turned on some gas jets and they all laid down on the floor as if unconscious.

When he entered and saw what appeared to be a class full of possibly dead students, he picked up a lab stool and hurled it through a 3rd floor window to ventilate the room.  Needless to say, he was not happy at all about the practical joke!!

Sounds like "Wild Bill" Brooks' (a chemistry teacher when I was at Phila's Central HS in the early 70's) homeroom (which happened to be in a Chem Lab room) where one morning, before Mr Brooks came in, the students turned on some gas jets and they all laid down on the floor as if unconscious.

When he entered and saw what appeared to be a class full of possibly dead students, he picked up a lab stool and hurled it through a 3rd floor window to ventilate the room.  Needless to say, he was not happy at all about the practical joke!!

Priceless...even better than centerfold pictures taped to the pull-down projector screen!

Priceless...even better than centerfold pictures taped to the pull-down projector screen!

Wouldn't have worked in our classroom. :(  They had a huge rtiter fan built into the window that could clear the room in maybe 90 seconds. That, and hood enclosures.

But we used to do things like make "Hindenburgs."  Take a "test tube water trough." fill it with very soapy water, and then blow methane through it with a hose. When the bubbles rise, light them... :crazy:  We didn't do it often, since the setup/cleanup took a lot of time... very risky.. :)

WINNER!  I laughed so hard I almost fell outta my computer chair, lol!

And yet, somehow, we all managed to live to be here?  Our Grand Kids aren't going to know WTF real life is like, unless we DO SOMETHING to stop this PC crap, lol!