doesn't matter what the state police want.  It's a superior court judge that decides if you meet the standard.   The rules for  demonstrating "thorough familiarity with the safe handling of a handgun" can be met in 4 ways.  See the law below

13:54-2.4 Application for a permit to carry a handgun

(a) Every person applying for a permit to carry a handgun shall furnish such information and particulars as set forth in

the application form designated SP 642. The application shall be signed by the applicant under oath and shall be

endorsed by three reputable persons who have known the applicant for at least three years preceding the date of

application, and who shall also certify thereon that the applicant is a person of good moral character and behavior.

Applications can be obtained at police departments and State Police stations.

(b) Each applicant shall demonstrate a thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns by indicating

in the space provided therefor on the application form, and on any sworn attachments thereto, any relevant information.

Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns may be evidenced by:

1. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police

Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j;

2. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to

carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms

instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor;

3. Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of

a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified

firearms instructor; or

4. Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police

academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.

(c ) Where available, the information in (b) above shall be accompanied and validated by certifications of the appropriate

instructor(s). In the absence of, or in addition to (b)1 through 4 above, the applicant shall provide any other available

and accurate information which may evidence his or her proficiency in the safe handling and use of firearms, including

most recent handgun qualification scores and whether he or she utilized the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry, courses

attended in the safe handling and use of firearms, and extent of knowledge, however gained, of this State's laws

pertaining to the use of force in the defense of person and property.

Well I am assuming that since I was an instructor in the marine corps that might carry some weight. I will get with Anthony from gun for hire for anything I may need.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A miracle wouldn't hurt.

No,  the law does not list a carry permit from another state as meeting the requirement.

What are the requirements for the out of state CCWs?

I would assume that at least one of them would be similar to this:

3. Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of

a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified

firearms instructor; or

I would expect that this fee-greedy state would require civilian prospective handgun carriers to meet the same requirements as current carriers, who are for the most part active and retired LEO.

And with the opportunity to charge through the nose for both "Use of Force" classroom and "Live Fire Marksmanship (as shown in the AG doc I linked)" training, you can bet your ass they will. Doubtful they'll let anything less than Police Academy level training meet their requirement, all in the "interest of public safety" of course. NJ's version of non-infringement!

Question for you LEOs here who carry:

In the Qual and Requal course they talk about:

"Double action is required for revolvers for all phases.

Semi-automatics are to be fired in the manner in which the individual weapon functions normally and are to be decocked when changing positions or hands."

What if your intended carry is for example a Springfield XD, which is a double-action only, lacks a decocker, and has trigger and grip safeties.

Would the starting condition of each phase of the qual be a loaded chamber, slide forward, in holster?