JoshShootsStuff

Citizens Rifle and Revolver Club thoughts?

Hi friends. New guy here, been hanging for a while but first post. I searched and read the other threads about CRRC in West Windsor/Princeton/Cranbury or whatever they consider it. This place is literally 6 minutes from my house, I've heard some of the downsides (mag limits, work hours, limited ranges, etc.) but I'm wondering if the fact that I would be able to get there a couple times a week might make it worthwhile. I've considered Ft Dix, but the outdoorsiness and operating hours plus 50 minute drive would severely limit how often I'd get to shoot. I've seen the praises CJRPC gets, but again the distance would hinder my ability to get there, and I'd have to drop a lot of pretty pennies to even get in the door, and as absolutely awesome as it seems I don't think id be able to get there more than once every month or two. So if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it, I've bought 4 guns since I got my FID in October and I've only got to shoot for about two hours since then and I'm itching to get some time behind the trigger. Thanks.

I belonged to CRRC in the late 80's and early 90's. Only quit when I moved out of the area. I liked it a lot. The work hours weren't much of a burden, and if you completed them it reduced your membership cost. The facilities were good, but unfortunately they had to close the outdoor high-power rifle range when I was there, to appease the neighbors. It was replaced with a collection of concrete pipes through which one could shoot prone or from the bench, but they could no longer host hp matches. The members were a great group when I was there; still seems to be a very active club.

I am a member of CRRC and I live 10 min from the club. In the range, you can only load 5 shots each time (old bullseye rule). The club requires members to help out 12 hr per year. If you cannot do it, you can pay $15/hr. It is pretty easy to fulfill this requirement (club maintenance, open days, range officer, instructor, ....etc.)

The club has 2 25 yard indoor ranges which can be used 24/7 (card access). The 50 yard outdoor range and archery range are close in the winter but will reopen in March. Sunday afternoon trap shooting is all year round. People are pretty friendly and no crowd at anytime. If you shoot handguns, small bore rifles and trap, I think the club has enough facilities for you to enjoy. However, if your primary interest is high power rifle, the club is limited.

If interested, PM me, and I can give you a quick tour in the weekend.

I shoot Trap there a lot. Very nice group of people there. I have been indoors with a friend that is a member. That was a few years ago. I think they refurbished the indoor range last year, 2013, maybe 2012, ask Happycamper since he is a member there. Anyway, if you are that close it is worth joining. As already mentioned, if you want to shoot high power rifles you have to sit at the bench and shoot through a concrete tube so you can't accidentally launch any rounds over the berm towards the neighbors. You also can't shoot highpower on Sundays since that is when Trap is going, and Wednesday nights for the same reason. Unlike the deer and the thousands of groundhogs that run around on the Trap field, I don't think you want the lead falling on your head!  :) 

You will have access to the indoor range 24/7, that is a big plus! They have a target retrieval system there, my club doesn't.  :(

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. I was thinking about either CRRC or CJRPC, but I can't justify the 600 dollar initiation fee and 300+ a year for CJ, even if it is the best range ever. With the distance I wouldn't get there much, maybe once a month so I think Citizen's will suit my needs fine. I'm relatively new to shooting and only own a couple 22 pistols and rifles right now, and one inherited 20 gauge shotgun with the hopes of stepping up to a 9mm and 45 when I can buy a handgun again in 25 days, no high powered rifles in the forseeable future. I'm pretty sure CRRC will be beneficial since it's so close I'll be able to get over there once or twice a week (and with it being 24 hours if I ever get the urge in the middle of the night...) and get some good practise time in. The 5 rounds at a time rule seems strange to me and I might spend some more time loading, but the fact that I'll save 1.5 hours driving every time I go to the range makes up for that. Happycamper I'd love to come check it out sometime, this weekend is shot for me but I'll PM you and maybe next weekend we can hook up. It works out that I'm ready to commit soon and they're having all their safety courses the beginning of next month, maybe I'll be a member before I know it!

The five round rule is no big issue, besides, you get to practice mag swaps this way! I don't think they will ask you to load 5 rounds in a 6 round revolver, but check.

There was a seperate .22-only indoor range there a few years ago, not sure if that is still setup like that or not. Was a good idea though, you could shoot in peace and quiet without the other handguns next to you.

Awesome! I'm glad you guys have such positive feedback. I really can't imagine what it would be like having a range literally down the street from me, I'm going to go broke shooting... Guess I better look into a reloading press. I plan on attending the meeting the first Wednesday of next month and if time allows it getting a tour from Happycamper, I'm way too excited for this

Its a good place.  I went through the NRA junior program there many many years ago!   I would shoot there today but I am far more into high power rifle than pistol so its not ideal for me.  Shame is that I am only 10 minutes away.

Ken

Really? I was so excited to go tonight and get things going for myself too. Are they going to reschedule or is it off until next month? Can I still attend the safety orientation on Saturday or do I have to wait until the next one in 3 months? That would stink if we have to wait another 3 months to join

I didn't see this thread update yesterday and went to the meeting last night. Several trees were down but the parking lot was plowed. It looked like there might have been a power problem because it was VERY dark at 7:30 PM. Anyway, I'll keep watching to see what the status is. I haven't had much response from my emails about membership.

I'm looking to join too. Unless I hear other I'm going to show up Saturday for the range safety course. I emailed the membership email address to see if the meeting was on last night and someone replied that the meeting was canceled. I replied that I'd show up Saturday and haven't heard back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a cool group of people (I stopped by in October when they had their family fun shoot), but I'm not sure the interwebs/email is their strength. If anyone hears anything from them and can let us know here that would be awesome. Otherwise I'm with you all, I'll show up Saturday for the safety training course and see if I can get my membership rolling. What's the worst that can happen? I doubt they'll tell us to go home, but you never know. The cancellation of the meeting was shown on their website (http://www.crrc.org/crrc.htm), so I'll keep an eye on that too and see if they update it.

M&P 9c? I was the guy in the black Phillies hat. I met CzechMark. He was the gentleman with the trilby hat. I think he shot with the last group.

That's a "Tilly" hat. Close enough. Josh was actually in my shooting group. I met up with him after you left. See you on Tuesday!

M&P 9c? I was the guy in the black Phillies hat. I met CzechMark. He was the gentleman with the trilby hat. I think he shot with the last group.

Ok yeah I know who you were ...nice to meet you, man lol

That's a "Tilly" hat. Close enough. Josh was actually in my shooting group. I met up with him after you left. See you on Tuesday!

Ok we have to re-introduce because I'm not sure who you were.

See you guys on Tuesday!

Man! We should've tried to find each other. I was the guy that had to take my ammo back to my car. Lol

I couldn't tell if that guy was upset or indifferent about that, he was so monotonous. I think between us we all know who each other are so we should meet up Tuesday night.