n4p226r

Post PICs of your SPR style rifles

Been working on this for the last few months. Finally got it done, just need to sight it in.

Lower:

Spikes Punisher Lower

JP LPK

Geissele SSA-E Trigger

Magpul PRS

Magpul BAD

Ergo Grip

Upper: Ranier Arms Build

Ranier Arms Upper

Ranier Arms 18" Ultramatch Rifle Length Barrel 1:8, (Shilen Blank)

VTAC Alpha Rail 15"

Battle Comp 2.0

Harris Bipod on a LaRue Mount

Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 on a LaRue LT 104 Mount

Spikes BCG

BCM Gunfighter Mod 3

post-1236-0-17190700-1396641294_thumb.jpg

IMG_20140404_161439783_zpsspofx1pl.jpg

Stag 3H Upper with +

DD Omega rail

Nikon P223 4-12 x 40 with 600 yd bdc reticle in PEPR QD mount

Raptor CH 

Streamlight Pro TAC HL 600 lumen light

Spikes Lower with Spikes LPK

Geiselle SSA-E trigger

Magpul MOE Rifle stock

VTAC sling

MOE + grip

To me, an SPR is equally capable at 500 yards as it is inside of 50 yards. It's not a DMR and it's not carbine, both of which play to opposite ends of the spectrum of needs. This approach to an SPR makes it sounds like a compromise but I like to think of it as a rifle that's more of a jack of all trades.

Sweet piece NJ...I see we have the same taste..building mine as funds allow..prob going either Rainier 18" or CLE (douglas) SPR profile..upper either Rainier, BCM or on or Midwest PX ..also leaning A2 stock...range report when you can...enjoy!

Thanks jrfly, If you want to meet sometime at CJ to shoot it before you finish yours, let me know.

so i have a few more parts to mine.  i just need to figure out what stock i am going with but its definitely a fixed rifle stock because i got a colt forged rifle buffer tube, spring and buffer coming.  i am probably going with the magpul rifle stock, at least until i can find a way to get a colt CS stock. 

so i have a few more parts to mine. i just need to figure out what stock i am going with but its definitely a fixed rifle stock because i got a colt forged rifle buffer tube, spring and buffer coming. i am probably going with the magpul rifle stock, at least until i can find a way to get a colt CS stock.

I like my moe stock. Just wish there was a better cheek weld

Agree, but there is a pretty significant weight penalty.

I wish they made the MOE fixed stock with adjustable height inserts like the 870 stocks. Or even if they had the slots for the clip-on cheek pieces like the standard MOE or CTR has.

its not a light stock.. but when talking about this platform (which I admit I am not that familiar with) isn't the adjustability worth the trade off?

I have a PRS stock on mine. It's a good stock and does what I want but it is heavy. I am running a ACOG so I don't even really need to adjust anything, I just had the stock so I used it since I am certain not sing I

You don't need adjustability as much as a way to permanently alter LOP and comb height to fit you and your optic setup.

A lot if times you can correct height issues with different optic mounts, but this does get harder with larger objective lenses that you just can get any closer to the receiver with.

I noticed in these pictures that my scope is pushed forward farther than most. I know there are differences in eye relief and body position but is it odd for me to have it that far forward?

In position and If you sleep on the rifle, when you open your eyes, are you perfectly aligned? Are you repeatable on position, every time? Do you search around with the eye box? What position did you initially set up? Is your lop correct? Need more info.

I have a PRS stock on mine. It's a good stock and does what I want but it is heavy. I am running a ACOG so I don't even really need to adjust anything, I just had the stock so I used it since I am certain not sing I

You don't need adjustability as much as a way to permanently alter LOP and comb height to fit you and your optic setup.

A lot if times you can correct height issues with different optic mounts, but this does get harder with larger objective lenses that you just can get any closer to the receiver with.

Fair enough... I have one on my 308 ar and don't find it overly heavy and enjoy the adjustability... I'm also not running around with the gun...

I noticed in these pictures that my scope is pushed forward farther than most. I know there are differences in eye relief and body position but is it odd for me to have it that far forward?

It's only Odd if it is uncomfortable to you... move it back and see if its better, should shift your cheek wield back a little. It's all about what works for you. The stock and eye relief are the factors on the rifle.. everything else is adjusting for your body features to fit those criteria.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, it's the only one I had for quick access.

image_zps95f4c149.jpg

Just got the Steiner 5-25 MSR and wanted to show a friend the size difference from the NF 2.5-10. Hopy crap is there a difference lol

What's the specs on the nightforce and mount?

The mount looks like a LaRue LT139

Correct.

Its a simple NF 2.5-10x32 Mil-Dot/MOA knobs and ZeroStop.

It was my first venture into a magnified optic and I picked it up used for an awesome price.  In hind sight I would have liked Mil/Mil not Mil/MOA but it's okay.

I think I will throw the Steiner on there in a LT-120 to try it out.  Gonna be a long wait still for the 7.62 OBR it is supposed to sit on.

nice.  I'm glad you posted that pic because i am considering the same scope for my SPR style build and wanted to pick up a mount.  i didn't know if i should get the offset one or not.  looks like i should.  now i just need to decide on the reticle.  i know nothing about long range shooting so i need to learn how you use the reticles before i make a decision.  

is that scope also illuminated?

nice.  I'm glad you posted that pic because i am considering the same scope for my SPR style build and wanted to pick up a mount.  i didn't know if i should get the offset one or not.  looks like i should.  now i just need to decide on the reticle.  i know nothing about long range shooting so i need to learn how you use the reticles before i make a decision.  

is that scope also illuminated?

Yes, the scope is illuminated.

The reason I picked the SPR-E (LT139) over the SPR (LT104) is because I shoot with my nose to the chagring handle, even in prone.  If you can see, the stock is two notches from fully collapsed as I prefer the shortest length of pull possible.  I am only 5'-10" so something that is A2 length will just not work for me.  This is why when I get my OBR I am at a loss as to what stock to use since I want a solid long range stock but the PRS seems too long. 

Anyway, because of my style of shooting I needed to place the scope further up the reciever.  I did not want to mount it on the rail, or bridge the gap between the rail and reciever.  The SPR-E was the perfect solution.

As I bought it used, I had no choice on reticle, but I like the NF Gen2 Mil-Dot.  The dots are hollow and do not cover much of the image, but there are many good reticles that NF offers.  I would personally not use any type of balistic reticle because they only work for one round and one set of conditions.  A mil-dot reticle is fairly simple to learn since there is not much to it.

Yes, the scope is illuminated.

The reason I picked the SPR-E (LT139) over the SPR (LT104) is because I shoot with my nose to the chagring handle, even in prone.  If you can see, the stock is two notches from fully collapsed as I prefer the shortest length of pull possible.  I am only 5'-10" so something that is A2 length will just not work for me.  This is why when I get my OBR I am at a loss as to what stock to use since I want a solid long range stock but the PRS seems too long. 

Anyway, because of my style of shooting I needed to place the scope further up the reciever.  I did not want to mount it on the rail, or bridge the gap between the rail and reciever.  The SPR-E was the perfect solution.

As I bought it used, I had no choice on reticle, but I like the NF Gen2 Mil-Dot.  The dots are hollow and do not cover much of the image, but there are many good reticles that NF offers.  I would personally not use any type of balistic reticle because they only work for one round and one set of conditions.  A mil-dot reticle is fairly simple to learn since there is not much to it.

At5'10, How short is your ape that you can put your nose that closely to the charging handle and still have proper LOP prone?

At5'10, How short is your ape that you can put your nose that closely to the charging handle and still have proper LOP prone?

is "ape", "arm"?

Propper LOP and comfortable LOP are to different things.  Propper sounds relative to whatever works best with your body mechanics.  I prefer to be as compact as possible, I just find it more comfortable.  If I have to kick out my elbow more then so be it.  My nose may be above the CH to align my eye with the scope, but its in line with it or close to it.

I may be at R14 this weekend, Ill try and get a pic.

Even with my 16" PredatAR and the MOE stock pinned one notch from fully closed when I am prone my nose is at the CH.